PDA

View Full Version : good deal on walker?

rosolar
10-17-2004, 03:34 PM
how do you guys think this sounds?

2003 walker mt ghs. 48" deck, 9.5 bushel, kolher 20 hp, 110 hrs., priv. owner. $5800/BRO.

Looking to buy one before fall clean ups, how does the price sound. What do these models go for new? is the 20 hp enough power?

BMFD92
10-17-2004, 05:06 PM
that price sounds awesome but it homeowners tend not to change oil and stuff like that as frequently. But those can go for 9 grand new so you would save a lot.

bobbygedd
10-17-2004, 05:12 PM
i think the walker will be obsolete very soon. i laugh when i see the guys with them, and thier trucks loaded to the top with grass clippings. there is like only one place within 25 miles of here that will accept clippings. there are actually some townships around here that will no longer take clippings even from a homeowner if he puts it out from his own yard.

LB Landscaping
10-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Awsome deal, I'd grab it. Even if it is home owner used it only has 100+ hours on it and would only have 2-3 changes through it anyway. I bet a homeowner shelling out the cash for a mower that is $8000 plus would tend to take care of it. Why's he selling???
Bobby Walkers won't be disappearing around here anytime soon. 95% of LCO's around here have them. They are the ultimate machine for this area. Alot of small to medium lawns to mow and a ton of leaves in the fall. I've tried mulching and with the spring growth we get up here it looks like crap when you are done, gotta bag to get the look my customers want, I just make it up in price.

bobbygedd
10-17-2004, 07:24 PM
but arent you FORCED to bag with a walker? if u can dispose up there, that's good. here, it's impossible to dispose

LB Landscaping
10-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Yes and no. With the Walker you have to buy a different deck to mulch. So you don't have to bag but it sure looks nice when you do!!!!! :D

fixer67
10-17-2004, 07:44 PM
but arent you FORCED to bag with a walker? if u can dispose up there, that's good. here, it's impossible to dispose

Not always. I know a lot of LCO that have accounts where they can dump onsite which makes all the difference. I know one that has a big valley behind his house that he dumps at. And a few have freinds that has a place for them to dump at. So it is all according to where you are at. Walker may die out in one area just to become king of the hill in another area

shepoutside
10-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Walkers are great, just for that fact. I the spring, they do awesome cleanups, and then, for summer, I can put the side discharge deck on, in any size for some large lots at factories, and on my other, I put on a mulch deck. Then in the fall, I put on the GHS decks, and collect leaves. I'm just now buying a Walker, that can't even collect, only mulch/side discharge, for factory lots. BTW, that's a great price!!! :cool:

rosolar
10-17-2004, 08:13 PM
how significant are walkers during fall cleanups. can you plan on cleaning up an acre size lawn without dumping an annoying amount of times? I have a solo operation and am trying to figure out the most efficent way to do clean ups solo

Lawnworks
10-17-2004, 10:18 PM
I am going to have to agree w/ bobbygeld on this one. When I pass a crew w/ a Walker(s). I think "man they must not do volume." My theory is that the corroding paint on the Walker mowers evaperates while the operator is mowing and has a brainwashing effect.

shepoutside
10-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Can only speak in my area, but they work great, and are used by 95% of LCO's around Ontario. For solo there great, IMO, blow the beds and walkways and driveways onto the lawns, then walker it up. Dump into a dump bed, in my truck. Have watch other's with tarps, and just grin as I'm in 'n out in no time and time is payup

walker-talker
10-18-2004, 05:44 AM
how significant are walkers during fall cleanups. can you plan on cleaning up an acre size lawn without dumping an annoying amount of times? I have a solo operation and am trying to figure out the most efficent way to do clean ups solo
Walkers are great with cleanups. It's hard to say how many times you will have to dump on that size of property...just depends on how many trees and how large. I will intentionally clog the deck and go over all the leaves to mulch them. Then unclog it and start the collecting process. I then will put on the spring tine dethatcher and this really makes the lawn look good.

As far as the price of the mower.....that is a hell of a good buy. A buddy of mine just bought one as you described, but with around 95 hours on it for $6300....and I thought that was a good deal.

In reply to Bobby's comment...no again, you dont have to collect. I use a 52" SD deck for most the year...including spring. I use the GHS deck to collect leaves in the fall and scalping warm season grasses in the spring. I have a leaf loader attatched to a grain truck with a box (most of you have seen my pics) that holds 22 cubic yards. When full, it weighs 2000 pounds and I am able to dump at the recycling center for $20. About 70% of LCO's around her use a Walker becasue of it's small size.

rosolar
10-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Anyone else have a comment about the price?

another thing. I generally go over my lawns twice to produce a better cut. I am aiming to only go of each lawn once with the walker and get the same, if not better, results. do you guys ever run lawns twice? thanx

LB Landscaping
10-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Harly ever, unless of excessive growth one pass is definatly enough. I paid $8400 for mine new in 2002.

walker-talker
10-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I generally go over my lawns twice to produce a better cut. What are you currently mowing with that would force you to mow over the lawn twice??