PDA

View Full Version : My offspring...

gogetter
10-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Uh oh! I think I figured out how to actually use my scanner! You know what this means? Lots of picture posts to come! LOL!
Anyway, here's some baby geckos that I produced. Notice how small the eggs are in relation to the dime.

gogetter
10-17-2004, 05:55 PM
I get them a bit smaller in the future. Anyway, here's the female that just laid those eggs. Hard to believe those came out of her. Sorry for my bad photography skills.

gogetter
10-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Last one of geckos for now. This is a baby that hatched from those eggs. The milk jug cap is it's water bowl.

The C Man
10-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Uh oh! I think I figured out how to actually use my scanner! You know what this means? Lots of picture posts to come!

It also means you need to read the 'sticky' posted at the top of the pictures forum on resizing large pics. Your last one was ok though, good job.

gogetter
10-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Yeah, sorry, I'm working on it. One thing at a time.

beransfixitinc
10-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Hmmm.. so is that what the little pink lizards are that the cats keep capturing in the garage and bringing in? Do geckos only come out at dark.. and stay in dark places? I'll have to get pictures tonight and post them to you and find out what kind of lizards we have around here.

gogetter
10-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Do geckos only come out at dark.. and stay in dark places? I'll have to get pictures tonight and post them to you and find out what kind of lizards we have around here.

There are tons of different species & sub-species of geckos from all over the world. There are both nocturnal and diurnal (night & day) geckos. As well as terrestrial and arboreal (ground & climbing) geckos.
I would love to see pics you get.

By the way, the ones in my pics are from your area. They are Texas Banded geckos,Coleonyx brevis.

beransfixitinc
10-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Ok, here are a couple of photos.. not very clear, except for one. Since you know so much about lizards, you'll understand it's rather difficult to get close to one with a camera that takes a few seconds to shoot after you press the button... and hitting them with a flashlight beam sends them scurrying also.

gogetter
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
They're a bit different then the ones I had kept/bred. Mine were terrestrial, those are arboreal. I don't have my book in front of me to give you the actual scientific (or Latin) name, but they appear to be some sort of "house geckos" as they are commonly called, for obvious reasons.
Kinda neat, I don't have stuff like that here. Thanks for sharing the pics.

beransfixitinc
10-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Kinda neat, I don't have stuff like that here. Thanks for sharing the pics.

By all means.. make a visit and take some back with you. There are tons of small ones.. less than 1 1/2 " long everywhere right now.

Maybe we'll have enough this year that will eat all the baby crickets before they grow up and get into the house.

MMLawn
10-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Cool Gecko...that is who my car insurance is with ;)

Lawn-Scapes
10-20-2004, 02:39 PM
It also means you need to read the 'sticky' posted at the top of the pictures forum on resizing large pics. Your last one was ok though, good job.

C Man.. Who are you... the picture police?

Jonathan.. What do you do with them? Pets? Do you find them outside or buy them? How do these differ from salamanders?

gogetter
10-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Jonathan.. What do you do with them? Pets? Do you find them outside or buy them?

A lot of people get a reptile as a pet, but for me I preferred to call it a hobby. I would buy captive bred snakes and lizards from other breeders around the country and then breed them myself and sell the babies.

A friend of mine sets up at reptile expos to sell his stuff, and he would take my babies there and sell them. Or some stuff was put on an online classifieds section of a website called www.kingsnake.com.

It's actually a huge market. Many guys make a full time living doing this. I made a little money at it, but I was small time compared to some.

I had about 40 snakes or so at one time (adult breeders that is, not including babies). And then traded most of them for a bunch of Leopard geckos, about 60 or so of those.

I had stuff that ranged from $25 little geckos, to $2,000 rare albino Boas, and all kinds of stuff in between.

Some stuff is real rare and desirable and can fetch amazing money $$!!
It's such an interesting hobby, I miss it and look forward to getting back into someday.

As far as your question about the difference between geckos and salamanders, the easiest way to answer it without getting all technical and scientific, would be to compare it to cats and dogs. Just two totally different species. Geckos are lizards, and salamanders are amphibians (although they are "lizard like").