PDA

View Full Version : new website problems

EliteImpressions
10-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I just posted my website and would like everyone to check it out www.eliteimpressionslandscaping.com. Please give me an honest oppinion, Im planning on starting the business next year but Im trying to be a professional as possible out the gate.

I tried doing a search on yahoo to see if potential customers would be able to find be but had no luck. How to I get them to be able to search and find my site.

tonygreek
10-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Re: getting listed on engines, yahoo allows you to submit your site for listing under a category you select. Google will index you sooner or later, and also work your meta words, which I see you've done a couple of. The major engines have pages that tell you about getting listed, check for those.

As for your site, what screen resolution did you design that at (what's the monitor set to?).? Your font selection for your menu is overwhelming at 22. On an 800x600 monitor, it would be shockingly large.

The banner image at the top of your page is too large at 89k, and since it's a photo image, it should be a .jpg file which would get you great results at about a third the file size, and subsequent load time. Also, lose the text of your name that is split by your logo. On one hand, I see a nice enough looking logo, and on the other a really bad computer-rendered font telling me the same thing.

The Welcome page shoud have the text smaller, at the largest maybe 12 instead of the 18 you have. Also, I'd take the welcome text to the homepage where it belongs. No sense it having someone change pages for a brief paragraph telling me to look around your site.

Same goes with the "Our Promise" page. It's a brief paragraph that is better suited elsewhere. Don't worry about not having a bunch of pages if you don't need to.

On the specials page, end the first sentence after "running", and start a new one with "Please".

At the very least, shrink those fonts down. It's too large on my screen and that's a laptop running 1400x1050 resolution. The 50% of the internet users at 800x600 might find it a tad "in your face" large.

Oh, and get your phone number and email on every page. Especially the phone.

Good luck,
Tony

Green Care
10-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Looks good there only thing ya need is number and addresse on your page.

EliteImpressions
10-17-2004, 09:43 PM
tonygreek: Thanks for a lot of your tips Ill work on that tonite.

greencare: When you said name and address on page, do you mean like tony and have them on every page?

EliteImpressions
10-17-2004, 10:14 PM
I just tweaked it a bit, see what you think.

tonygreek
10-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Text looks much better. I'd recommend you take the dimensions code out of your logo placement as it's being forced to a larger size than the actual image, thus making it look jagged. If it was auto-generated, replace the logo in your software and that should take it back to the original size.

Another recommendation would be to get rid of the background graphic and just make the page white. It will look more cohesive and your logo wouldn't look like you just tossed it on the page. Maybe put the contents into a table, add a table border to it to compartmentalize your page, and it would look better.

Tony

brbsta
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
tonygreek,
If you are looking for a website submission service let me know. I submit sites to over 1,000+ web searches and lists, and also optimize you meta tags (keywords) to fit the needs of your website. If you look at services on the inter you can see this can be a expensive service but just let me know and I can do it for more then half the price. I can submit multiple pages in your site and/or each month. When you get your site up and running let me know just Im me on AIM my username is 'brbsta'.

Thanks

tonygreek
10-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the offer, Brad, but I'm pretty experienced in that department.

Quick....name 5 search engines.

Tony

mdvaden
10-21-2004, 01:02 AM
It has clean lines to it.

I've heard that action photos mean a lot to people.

On that pet waste removal page, what do you think about a few photos? Like of a crane or tree spade to show that you can handle any size of pet waste.

Papillion or Mastiff - the impression meister does em all.

:cool2:

tonygreek
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Has nothing to do with this topic, but with regard to the comments about paying for search optimization, it looks like I didn't fully explain my thought. Specifically with regard to "meta key words", search engines don't pay much attention to them anymore (or any). You're far better off by having quality textual content and effectively using the TITLE and ALT tags. And repeatedly submitting your sites to the reputable engines will only get you removed. Don't go with the automated submitters as they are viewed as nothing more than Spam generators.

Tony

Tony

mtdman
10-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I found that the best way to get noticed by search engines is when your site is linked to by other sites. The more you are 'networked' on the web, the more you will be noticed. I hastened that process with my website by posting a link in the signature here on lawnsite. Every time you post, your site will be linked to, on every page. That boosts your visibility immensely.

As far as paying to have your website listed on search engines, why bother? You can do that yourself for free, and really, how many search engines do people use? Google, Lycos, About.com, etc. There aren't that many. Listing with every podunk search engine is a waste of time, and paying for that service is a waste of money.

:D

tonygreek
10-21-2004, 09:39 PM
great point, mtd. linking is a top 2 or 3 thing to look at. the thing people need to watch out for is the less-than-legit companies that claim they'll get you listed and linked on thousands of sites. most of those sites that feature someone's link are simply owned by the scammers.

and you are absolutely correct on the listing "services". they are among the worst issues facing the search engine companies.

probably should make this a thread at some point to help out anyone who doesn't understand search.