PDA

View Full Version : dump trailer w/ walker

rosolar
10-17-2004, 08:14 PM
I was thinking of getting a 6x14 low profile dump trailer. Planning on designating the front of it for clippings so i could back walker in and dump clippings. any possible flause you can think of? thanks

out4now
10-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Time consuming trips to the trailer. Most guys here use burlap tarps and dump on those, tie em, set them on top of collection box to get them to the truck. There is a company that makes a hydraulic dump unit for the Walker that raises the collection box up that I've seen in Turf magazine but personally I think the reusable burlap tarps would be the cheapest and easiest way.

LB Landscaping
10-17-2004, 10:25 PM
What kind of truck do you have (or are you getting)??? I have a 1 ton dump and 16ft tandem trailer. A buddy and I fabricated a ramp on the front of my trailer so I can drive right into the dump bed.Works pretty slick.

Dig-it Landscaping
10-17-2004, 10:43 PM
I don't know how those walkers do on steep slopes but i would be worried about the deck bottoming out on the ramps. i have a low profile 10 foot dump and you would have to have some long and very heavy ramps for me to make it up there with my 48"WB

Lawnchoice
10-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Walker makes a set of bins that sit in the hopper. They work great for dumping directly into a large container and then moving it to the truck.

I could see the trailer and Walker riding in it with grass somewhat inconsistent. Grass never grows at the same rate and some times you might have WAY more clippings in the trailer and no room for the mower. You could also have an issue with clippings all over your great Walker when you cruise down the road.

Lawnchoice

bigdaddyspags
10-17-2004, 11:15 PM
What kind of truck do you have (or are you getting)??? I have a 1 ton dump and 16ft tandem trailer. A buddy and I fabricated a ramp on the front of my trailer so I can drive right into the dump bed.Works pretty slick.

Do you have a picture to share?

Ryan Lightning
10-17-2004, 11:54 PM
I use large bulk bags that I can dump in 3 times with the large hopper, and I can still tie up the top. Then just drag them into the trailer.

LB Landscaping
10-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Do you have a picture to share?
No, and my wife left for Texas today and she's got our camera. I'll get some when she gets back.

musselman
10-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Ive used a walker for years I have thought of a million diffrent ways to make getting the clipping to the truck easier. I like the ramp to truck from trailor idea put the problem I had was id have to take all the equipment off the trailor each stop and it take a while to do. Ive dumped on tarps and in sacks that sucks the tarp can get heavy and Im a one man operation. Ive always wanted to get a billygoat vac and just suck the clippings up not sure how well that would work. What I do now is quick and easy I bought two 50 gallon containers from wal-mart I set them side by side and dump into them this seperates the load for easier hanlding, dump them in the truck and Im done, its very quick. I have a 11 foot flat bed with a homemade roller on it that pulls the clippings real nice. I thought the new inserts would be awsome...$250 waste of money...they suck more grass left in the hoppers than in the inserts...if you want them Ill sell them cheap, whaitI do is much easier. I have a buddy that also built the ramp from the trailor to the truck it works real well and saves the back some, but is a bit more time consuming.

Mowman29
10-18-2004, 02:24 AM
But the way to go is the lift for the catcher. I used them in the past and they work great. All the Companies arround here that have walkers use them it less time consuming then dumping it on a tarp then dragging it back to the truck plus it saves on your back. If your going to spend 10,000 to 14,000 on a mower then an extra 500 to 1000 bucks for the lift souldn't really matter. But if your pulling your trailer with a car or SUV then you really sould buy a truck 1st then get a cheaper mower.

Because no serious Landscaper mows grass in a car or SUV

walker-talker
10-18-2004, 06:22 AM
But the way to go is the lift for the catcher. .....an extra 500 to 1000 bucks for the lift souldn't really matter. where can you get them so cheap? The ones I have seen run about $3,000!!!

http://www.allseasonscls.com/

Mowman29
10-24-2004, 05:14 AM
It not that hard if you have a Machine shop that can cut and tool your lift and then buy the electric lift. I just might have to start making them. Anything out of Cal. is going to cost you. I look for other dealers but if they went up that much maybe I look into building them for the east cost at a better price for all of us!!!!

I have to do some research. I talk to my old employer to see if I can find anything for everyone here on the east. the One you showed dosen't look like the ones I worked with and that site will not let me search it more in detail. give me some time. I don't have a walker right now but looking to get one next season.

MOW ED
10-24-2004, 10:01 AM
I was thinking of getting a 6x14 low profile dump trailer. Planning on designating the front of it for clippings so i could back walker in and dump clippings. any possible flause you can think of? thanks

How much debris are you generating? I do not know how your business works nor will I tell you how to run it but I own a Walker and I used to collect lots of clippings. I even have the ramp from the trailer to the pick up bed still on my trailer but I don't use it anymore.
The dump trailer will be handy for clippings and for other jobs like rock and mulch if you sell those services but those trailers are expensive. I would also look into doing other services such as debris removal for customers just to get use out of the trailer. I think you have a good idea if you have to collect clippings as long as you have enough clippings to justify the trailer. Obviously your dump times will be longer as you have to unload the Walker and anything else in the trailer that isnt tied down when you dump. That sure beats shoveling them off. Good Luck.

GrassBustersLawn
10-24-2004, 01:00 PM
I have a 6x10 dump trailer with LANDSCAPE GATE. LOVE IT! It gets used mostly for hauling mulch & removing debris. In fall I use it to haul leaves. We usually dump on a LARGE tarp next to the trailer SIDE. One side of the tarp is attached to the side of the trailer. When tarp is full we pull the far side of the tarp up over the trailer (2 man job), which dumps the leaves into trailer. After a couple of loads into it, the guys stomp around on them to make more room. I added 18" wood sides to the trailer, which gives it 7 cu yd capacity. When full I pull the tarp on top and head off to the dump. It looks like a loaf of bread when I dump that thing, the leaves come out in one big solid pile.

LOW TECH, but a big tarp is definitely cheaper than $3000 for the lift mechanism. (By the way, WALKER is now making that available as a FACTORY OPTION for $2500. They apparently had a "disagreement" with the after market maker & started doing them themselves.)

Mike

mrgreeninc
10-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Do you have any pictures of the lift made by Walker? If you do please share. Thanks

CathyLynn
11-03-2004, 12:10 AM
PM your address and we will send you a picture of what you are looking for. The new liftis facotryinstalled and will actually be around 2200--will lift into the back of a one ton if it has normal sides.

grass-scapes
11-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Walker makes a set of bins that sit in the hopper. They work great for dumping directly into a large container and then moving it to the truck.

Lawnchoice

Those are crap. I bought a set and they were used ONCE. make more of a mess than just pushin into a bag. A waste of 200 bucks. don't do that option.

CathyLynn
11-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Yes--definetly not one of Walkers better ideas!

The new lift system dumps either low without lifting or high up into your truck.

Kind of pricey unless you do a lot of catching and dumping. it also saves a little time if you have employees that"take a break" everytime they get off to dump manually!-No getting off--no break!!

Green Pastures
11-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Don't know how much you're willing to spend. These are expensive but if you're into Walkers exclusively these are the trailers to get.

http://www.debrissystems.com/index.html

BCSteel
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Check out this thread to see a real awesome set up.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=75057&highlight=candy+cane

Green Pastures
11-05-2004, 12:26 AM
That's the Dump N Go system, also pretty expensive but very nice for Walker owners.