PDA

View Full Version : This is For people who plow!! I need help

Seanl33
10-17-2004, 09:38 PM
I need some help i have herd plowing is one if the worst thing u can do too a truck but what if i was only going to do about say 6 driveways do u guys think i would have to worry about transmission problems or any other thing oh ya I'm thinking of putting it on a F250 Reg Cab um some information would be greatly appreciated

Green Care
10-17-2004, 09:42 PM
You should be ok your only plowing lite .

SodKing
10-17-2004, 10:36 PM
An F-250 is fine. The breaksowns happen when you take the plow truck and have employees do the plowing. Owners know how much these trucks cost and how valuable they are to the business, so we treat them well. Employees think it is fun to plow at 50 mph in a parking lot, better for doughnuts and powerslides.

Seanl33
10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Ill be honest I am only 16 and have never thought of doing a donut (LOL) l love landscaping and wanted to get into plowing but after all the stuff i herd i was having second thoughts but i think it's possible now thank u all for ur help

1MajorTom
10-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Sean,
Also check out www.plowsite.com
You will find a ton of information at that site.

DLCS
10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
You should be fine with that truck. Just use common sense and don't put too large of a blade on it, in other words heed the plow manufacturers suggested size for your truck. The biggest thing that ruins the transmission is shifting before the truck has come to a stop. I see guys doing this all the time, shifting from drive to reverse without a complete stop, a big no no.

jim dailey
10-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I need some help i have herd plowing is one if the worst thing u can do too a truck but what if i was only going to do about say 6 driveways do u guys think i would have to worry about transmission problems or any other thing oh ya I'm thinking of putting it on a F250 Reg Cab um some information would be greatly appreciated

I started with 42K miles on my 86 chevy silverado 1500 w/305 motor and 700R4 tranny. I now have 387K miles, and it is still going strong. I changed the tranny fluid after every winter. I changed the motor oil every MONTH, without fail. The motor is still strong as hell, and so isn't the tranny. I do 22 driveways and 3 parking lots. I take my time, know where the curbs are and I DO NOT BEAT either the motor or the transmission. You have to throw money at a used truck every year, just to keep it rolling. Don't go over an 8' plow on the F-250, and you will be fine.