PDA

View Full Version : combination mowing decks

laborador
10-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Havent much luck using the search option for this topic, so I thought I would start a new thread. I was curious to know are there any companys out their that has one mower deck that you can use for bagging, mulching and side discharge with out switching out the deck for a walk behind and a zero turn mower. thanks

PLM-1
10-17-2004, 10:17 PM
most companies...

Travis Followell
10-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Most companies make their decks where you can bag, mulch or side discharge with the same deck. You have to change some things around but you still use the same deck for all 3.

STAN1366
10-17-2004, 10:34 PM
What mower do you have that you're looking to use for all 3(side discharge, mulch, bag)?

laborador
10-17-2004, 10:48 PM
right now I have exmark 36 with a mulch deck. I am in the process of researching different mowers. When I hopefully upgrade next year, I was wanting to invest in a rider that has one deck to do everything.

bushtrimmer
10-17-2004, 11:14 PM
right now I have exmark 36 with a mulch deck.

Just curious. Which exmark do u have that only has a mulching deck? Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't realize they had a dedicated mulcher.

laborador
10-18-2004, 12:08 AM
I have a metro that I bought used earlier this year that already had the mulch deck on it.

mbricker
10-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Decks with multiple blades--that discharge well--can also bag without mods except for the addition of the chute or tube that carries clippings to the collector, and sometimes a blower to assist the clippings moving to the collector. On my Grasshopper front-mount this takes all of 1 minute.

But mulching effectively with a multi-blade deck requires the addition of a "mulch kit." On all decks I've seen, the mulch kit consists of additional baffles that encircle each blade, forming a separate compartment around each blade. The mulch kit works fine, but is not easily installed or removed from lawn to lawn, because it requires the use of tools and some time. My Grasshopper front-mount can be fitted with a mulch kit that I understand takes about 20-25 minutes to install/remove. I have never bought one because I don't have a schedule that would allow me to mulch alll of the lawns I mow in a certain day. Obviously, you aren't going to discharge or bag with baffles encircling the blades.

I've heard of combination decks that use timed blades that overlap, along with a particular deck contour. The only one I have ever seen is on the Troy-bilt/Cub Cadet/Bolens 33" walkbehind. It is not considered a commercial machine, although I have used them for small lawns for about 6 years. The blades turn the same direction like most decks. The quality of cut is adequate but not great. Conversion to mulching is accomplished simply by snapping a plastic blocking plate into the discharge opening, like on some 21" single blade push mowers.

I myself would like to find a machine that does it all without time-consuming changeovers.

Richard Martin
10-18-2004, 07:33 AM
I have a metro that I bought used earlier this year that already had the mulch deck on it.

Your Exmark Metro should have the Tri-Vantage deck on it. All you need to do to convert it to discharge or bag is remove the bolted in baffles. I have the mulch baffles for my deck. I used them for about a week back in 2000 and they have not been back on the mower since.