PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Size

BMFD92
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Next season I plan on purchasing a trailer and a walker GHS 48". I would like to know what size trailer would be best to put a Walker and Scag 48" w/b in. I am looking at open trailer not enclosed. Would a 6x12 work or would i need bigger. The walker is expensive so i am on a tight budget so if anyone can give me a general idea on what would be best that would be great. I plan on putting my push blowers and mower in the bed of the truck.

redoak77
10-17-2004, 11:13 PM
make sure u can put ur push mowers on the trailer, we tried the truck bed 1 day and it was the worlds biggest incovenice

lawncare3
10-18-2004, 12:45 AM
If I hadd the room I'd get a 16' or 18'er used actually (preowned) and That would be great. I currently have a 5x10 and bearly can fit a 48 and a 32 on it. Preowned is the best way to go.

gogetter
10-18-2004, 12:26 PM
I plan on putting my push blowers and mower in the bed of the truck.

That will start to suck after a short while! Trust me. Get the biggest trailer you can afford. They WILL be times you need to put something else in there and you'll regret not having the room.
Whatever size you decide on, go 2' bigger! ;-)

FrankenScagMachines
10-18-2004, 04:11 PM
I went from a 12' trailer with a Z and w/b on it, putting my 21" and backpack blowers, gas cans, toolbox, parking cones, catcher for w/b, etc. in the truck (pain) to a 22' trailer all self contained. Everything is on it and everything has it's place, There is plenty of room with this setup. Oh yeah i have a vac bagger on the Z also and since getting the 22' trailer i also added a push blower to the setup. Nice to have it all there and the only thing on the truck is grass when i bag. Other than that, its all on the trailer all self contained. it's great! I had been thinking of 18' or even 16' but am so glad i went with the 22'. I built it myself (would need good mechanical skills/inventiveness to do this, as i do). It is just awesome. I get alot of compliments on it from other LCO's and even a trucker from NY started talking to me about it one day in a parking lot. I love it! Oh yeah, if you can afford it, get a side gate! It's a great convenience. I don't use the w/b a whole lot but when i do it's nice not to have to unload the other stuff to get it out. Where will you be putting the clippings from the Walker? Truck bed? Curbside?

As others said you don't want your push blower and mower in the truck bed. It's really hard on you if you don't have someone else to help and even then it's a pain. Another great thing about trailers usually larger than 12', is when you get into tandem axle trailers, they have brakes on them. This is invaluable! I love my trailer brakes, even behind a one ton dually flatbed truck it's really great to have. Much much safer. Also, tandem axle trailers pull nicer and smoother and backup easier. Of course tires won't last as long on them due to extra turning friction but it's more than worth it. If i were you, I'd try to find a used 16' or even 18' tandem axle trailer. It will seem huge for a while when driving and parking but you will love the room, and i know you will have it filled before long!

Good luck.

BMFD92
10-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanx FSM, The clippings would go into the bed of the truck. I have made the decision of putting the push blowers and 21 on the trailer. Another LCO that I work with on occasion is giving me a good deal on a 7x14 tandem and he said that everything would go on fine.

bdboss
10-18-2004, 08:18 PM
i currently run 18' trailers with my walkers...but i started out with a 6x12 open trailer equipped with trimmer taps. 48"walk behind.....2 lawnboys...48"Walker plus room for your push blower.

LB Landscaping
10-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I've got a 16 ft and it's perfect. I put my 48" Walker, 48" Bobcat WB, 33inch WB and a 21" with plenty of room.