PDA

View Full Version : When Giving an Estimate

adam underwood
10-17-2004, 11:12 PM
hey guys..
im just starting out this year, ive been on a few estimates for some random jobs (tree trimming, fall cleanups). I feel like im not being very professional when i give an estimate.... I usually try to look respectable, knock on the door, introduce myself and ask them what exactly they are looking for me to do, snoop around a little and come up with some type of quote for the job.

can anyone give me any pointers or run me through how they intereact with the potential customer?
thanks a lot

HOOLIE
10-19-2004, 02:08 AM
I always try to do a quick walk-thru before I knock on the door, so I have a sense of what the work is.

As far as interaction with the potential client, I just try to go with the flow. If they are friendly and talkative, I am friendly and talkative. If it looks like they're about to leave somewhere and only have a few minutes to spare, I keep it short and to the point.

Also, I'm sure you'll spell out on the contract what the work entails, never hurts to go over it verbally with them as well.

NC Scaper
10-19-2004, 08:33 AM
I always try to do a quick walk-thru before I knock on the door, so I have a sense of what the work is.

As far as interaction with the potential client, I just try to go with the flow. If they are friendly and talkative, I am friendly and talkative. If it looks like they're about to leave somewhere and only have a few minutes to spare, I keep it short and to the point.

Also, I'm sure you'll spell out on the contract what the work entails, never hurts to go over it verbally with them as well.

Yea not spelling out on the contract what was gonna be done came back to bite me in the arse last week, I thought I could let it slide since shes has always been a great customer. But oh well never again!!!