PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 report of my new Cyclone Rake

chevyman1
10-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Guess what? It's all it's cracked up to be. Hooked it to my Dixie Chopper with gator magnum high lifts, and went thru leaves and high grass together with no problem at all. With my wife using the backpack blower on the flower beds and getting stuff away from the fence, we did our whole place in about 30 minutes. The side vacuum you can use on piles or beds etc is awesome too, had enough power to pick up a pumpkin! The motor has plenty of power too. The only tough part is with the Dixie, it's 12 ft long and you can't get really close to stuff because of how far it swings out. But ith someone blowing leaves away from the edges, it worked great. Going to start doing home cleanups in about 2 weeks up here. Right now the Gator Magnums on the Ferris and Dixie are doing a pretty good job mulching them down and cutting the grass, and all of my customers are fine with me mowing them up like that this month and getting vacuumed up on the last run. Thanks to all who gave me information and feedback, the Cyclone is awesome

Gravely_Man
10-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Great to hear a positive product review. How about some before, during and after pictures?

Gravely_Man

mbricker
10-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Keep us posted on the durability of the machine.

orangejbird
10-18-2004, 12:36 PM
I went by a field last night where a guy had the commercial model behind a compact diesel with a belly mower. I stopped to look at the unit. He was green chopping alfalfa for his cattle. That thing was clear full of full moisture alfalfa!
I ordered one last week and now glad I did.

proenterprises
10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
i am considering buting one, can you post some pictures of the unit?

chevyman1
10-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I'll try to take some this week. go to www.cyclonerake.com too

Randys Lawn Service
10-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Can you put the Cyclone Rake on a ZTR?? Have a Scag Tiger Cub 48".

chevyman1
10-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Yep, I have a Dixie ZTR that mine is hooked to. Cyclone is one of the few like it that will hook to a ZTR. DR won't, only tractors.

G-father
10-18-2004, 05:04 PM
I purchased one last week. I can't wait to play with it in the leaves!

I purchased the normal one because I work on a lot of hills with my ztr and also on smaller lawns where the smaller unit will be better. It now has the same guts as the commercial model which is a nice bonus. I will post some pictures in a few weeks.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
cevyman, I am glad you liked yours. I muust be the only odd man out on this one. I HATED that thing with a passion! Thirty seconds after I hooked it to my 133 I went under a limb that I barely had to duck under, BAM! tear the hose loose from the top. Stop and fix it, less than a minute later same thing again. Knocked over bird bath and one feeder with it. Went down a slight incline and the collection unit came loose and tuned over. Had to empty it right there and start again. Knocked the central AC unit all the way off of pad. got stuck in between house and fence, had to unhook it,when half full the wimpy 133 would barely pull it, smelt a burnig smell from mower the whole time,tore up one flower bed trying to turn in between 2 beds. I tried to sell it and had several folks to look at it and when they saw the tecumseh engine would not touch it. There was NO way this thing would fit in any of my residentual yards when my yard was 2 acres and farely opened (or so I thought). I may just had a bad first time experience but after using this thing about 30 minutes I hated it so bad I quit with and never wanted to use it again or see another one. I hope all you that have them have good luck with them though.

Danny

Mico Landscaping design
10-19-2004, 07:54 AM
it looks good but i use 3 track vac system's .. seem to me alot better... on smaller jobs i use to the grass catcher belive it or not it does a good job on small jobs that i cant get the track vac in ... i belive in track vac over this.. i have not seen one person use the cyclone around here.... looks ok but thats just wut i think...

macaw
10-19-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm glad to hear other people using and getting the Cyclone Rake. I have been using one for over 6 years and would not do leaves without it. I use the home owner model. It has held up very very well. I pull it with a old MTD 42" lawn mower with Gators. When this mower dies then I will go to a ztr. Here is a picture of me using .

spenfire
10-19-2004, 09:21 AM
I just recently bought the DR Lawn and Leaf Vac and love it so far. Like the Cyclone Rake, it too is very long and does not pivot in the center. I have to be extra careful when I make the turns then. I would say that is the only negative comment I have on it so far. As far as vacuum power, it is fantastic. The manufacturer says to run the DR and full throttle. It almost sucks the worms right out of ground. (Wish it did moles, they were terrible up here this year) I have only done my lawn so far but tomorrow I have a job on a property thats about 2.5 acres. Wich everyone the best of luck this fall. :blob3: :blob3:

spenfire
10-19-2004, 09:23 AM
I just recently bought the DR Lawn and Leaf Vac and love it so far. Like the Cyclone Rake, it too is very long and does not pivot in the center. I have to be extra careful when I make the turns then. I would say that is the only negative comment I have on it so far. As far as vacuum power, it is fantastic. The manufacturer says to run the DR and full throttle. It almost sucks the worms right out of ground. (Wish it did moles, they were terrible up here this year) I have only done my lawn so far but tomorrow I have a job on a property thats about 2.5 acres. Wich everyone the best of luck this fall. :blob3:

chevyman1
10-19-2004, 09:28 AM
what are you towing that DR with? I hope for your sake it's not a zero turn. DR said they jacknife severely and if you put one on a ZTR all warranties are voided.

gogetter
10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
poorman, I don't want to seem like I'm jumping on you, but EVERYTHING you listed was your own fault. None of it had anything to do with the performance of the Cyclone Rake.

You simply bought the wrong tool for the wrong job. Don't blame the tool for that.

cjgolftru
10-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Got one, just the best thing ever bought for my yard!!

chevyman1
10-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Still too lazy to take photos, but used it on 2 yards this weekend and I can't believe it. It takes forever to fill, and it gets everything! and I used the wand part on my neighbor's piles on the side of the street, and it was like the Cyclone Rake was mocking me, asking 'is this all you got'? the suction is better than I could have imagined. Here's my estimated ROI

Every possible upgrade for better hoses, wheels, accessories, base price and shipping/tax $2,400

Avg yard job $175.

2 guys cleaning a yard that size 2 hrs including unloading

ROI: 3.5 days

Uh, I'd say that's worth the investment