PDA

View Full Version : Winter work

Dodgemania
10-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I run a skidloader doing finish and rough grades and what ever else i can get my hands on. I also do a small bit of landscaping and mowing but my main source of income is from the skidloader. Besides snow removal do you guys out there still run your machines in the winter time? Or do you just shut down for the winter. I'm trying to avoid getting a full-time job over the winter for about 3 or 4 months.

Dodgemania
10-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks Alot

thepawnshop
10-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Do I detect some sarcasm?

Dodgemania
10-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Oh Yeah! Just Need Some Advice On Whether Hauling Skidloader In Snow Storms To Plow Is Smart Or Not. Can't Get Any Answers.

thepawnshop
10-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Dodge, this will be the first year that I will have my new skid steer (once I decide what the heck I ma going to get) and I have dreams of covering the payments in the winter with cleaning parking lots as well...I'm just not too sure about how to get it there. If the snow is up to my a**, I doubt that I will be pulling a trailer.

I am a business man that owns two retail locations in addition to being a contractor. My first priority is going to be to do my own lots (and I will pay myself a pretty penny to do it :) ) and then seek out others. If I were in your shoes, I would find a large mini-mall or something of that sort and arrange to handle their lot first. Make sure it is in an area where other businesses are close by if at all possible. Then, when the weatherman calls for snow, have your skid steer already parked on his lot waiting for the snow to fall. Once you have your contracted lot done, see how many businesses you can snag within skid steer driving distance. Or, be a daredevil and load that Cat up and cruise down the road to the next willing customer. It would be good if you mapped out a plan in advance and had several clients expecting you once the snow let up, though. Good luck! By the way...are you buying a snow blade, or are you just going to use the bucket to move the snow?

Dodgemania
10-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I appreciate the reply. I don't know whether I'm going to get what they call a snow pusher or plow or stay with a bucket. Work has slowed up quite a bit so I'm not sure. I've got some big ads coming out in a few phone bucks and hopefully that will increase buisness imediatley. If buisness doesn't pick up then I will have to rethink my situation.
I've got a question for you. This is my first year in buisness for myself and I have purchased about 70k worth of equip. I know this year we are getting a bigger tax break on equipment purchases, so I'm wondering if there's a chance I might be getting money back instead of paying. I think I only grossed around 70k maybe less. I know the question is vague and without info but if you have any information that would be nice.

thepawnshop
10-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Your question isn't too vague...I know exactly what you are getting at. Here goes:

Thanks to President Bush we small business owners are allowed to write off up to 100k in new equipment, which your 70k will fit perfectly. This is called IRS article 179. The catch is that you have to at least made the amount that you are writing off. You can not 179 more equipment than you made. That doesn't mean you will get money back, it will just lessen your taxable income. So in your case, if you made 70k, and you "179'ed" 70k, you would have a net income of zero, which in turn means you will have no tax liability.

Tax breaks like this are awesome not just for the small businesses, but also for the businesses that we buy from. JUst as an aside, Senator Kerry has said that he plans on rolling back Bush's tax cuts if he gts in office, to include this one. Love or hate "W", he is truly pro-business.

thepawnshop
10-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Dodge....read this....it will help you tremendously:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/Edit/tips/Stories/sec179_deduction.asp

Good Luck!

Dodgemania
10-29-2004, 08:14 PM
I did read that I appreciate you sending me that. More information definatly can't hurt.

ksss
10-30-2004, 11:14 PM
My snow experience is not positive. However, that is not to say others don't make good money at it. I leave my equipment parked except to push my own yard and my neighbors. We do some dirt work even in the winter but pushing snow no money maker in this area. The guys with pickup plows are faster and willing to work for nothing. The only area I have found to make money is pushing for places that have a lot of obstacles. The pickup plows struggle in confined areas. Pulling a piece of equipment on slick/snowy roads to work all night isn't worth it for me. Being stuck home 9 months a year working 12+ hour days 5-6 days a week is enough (at least the money is there). To be stuck at home, watching the weather, and hoping I get paid before July is not my idea of a good time. But again that is me and that is my area "your mileage may vary".

Dodgemania
10-30-2004, 11:52 PM
ksss, looking for a single axle dump truck for next year not wanting to pay over 15k. This dump truck would be used to haul skidloader to jobsites and get gravel and top soil when needed. By spending 15K can I get a truck that's reliable enough to count on going from jobsite to jobsite for years to come or do I need to think newer?

ksss
10-31-2004, 12:36 AM
Actually 12K will buy a great single axle truck. The one listed on my signature is for sale. You can check out my web site for a picture of it (kaiserskidsteer.com) That one is an '85 IH, 33K GVWR, with an L10 Cummins, 9 speed with a 16' contractors body. The sides will fold down and the tail gate is double acting which is to say it will fold down like a pickup bed or dump like a regular dump truck. Holds 5-6 yards of topsoil legally. Great for concrete or tree stumps. Has pintle hitch/ball combination hitch with electric trailer brake controller. All fluids are synthetic, has lug tires. Great truck. I bought tandem IH same engine same model. I hope that truck will be all that the single axle has been. Realizing that Ky is a long way away still 15K will buy a lot of truck most anywhere. If your pulling a trailer realize you will need a heavy rated single axle. Single axle trucks range from 26K to 33K GVWR. Anything under 26K does not require a CDL. HOWEVER, they are too light to carry anything legally. Remember that pulling equipment plus whatever is in the bed of the dump truck are added together and subtracted from the rated capacity of the truck. I would select one with a 33K GVWR, at least a 9 speed tranny, about 250 hp. I like Cummins but the Cat 3126 as found in GM med. duty trucks is also a good motor, air brakes on the truck. I like the contractor bed because with it you can haul the same 5-6 yards as you can with a single axle gravel body but with the 15-16' contractor body you haul trees, stumps, fold down the sides and load pallets on it, much more versatile. I was in Etown, KY last winter to look at a new IHI excavator. Ky is a neat place.