PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Blades VS Stock Toro Blades

WigginsLandscaping
10-18-2004, 02:53 PM
We just made a switch this weekend from standard toro blades to Atomic blades and i must say that I was not impressed at all. Is this generally the case. We have mulching kit on and it seemed to have less vacuum and wasnt mulching leaves as well? Am I crazy but isnt this supposed to be the reason of buying these blades? Maybe someone can help? Whats the best blade for grinding leaves?

MMLawn
10-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Strange, because I use the Atomics on all of my Toro stuff and they do great for us.

Kev's Lawncare
10-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Atomic mulching blades???? Hard to get to excited! I am running a 255 w/52"SFS deck. The lift is not good, although I have a frend that mows with the Turbo Force deck which is deeper and he loves the Atomic blades, claims he gets the lift with that deck. I use the Atomic blades on taller grass and it does spit out a shorter blade of grass. I also started running double blades for the leaves, Atomic (top) standard (bottom) and getting along good with that setup. Toro has an xtra high lift blade which made all the dif. in the quality of cut on the SFS deck (very very nice cut). Ran them all summer! Also with the Atomic blades I get along good with them on bluegrass, new fescue an p. rye. but with some old fescue (clumped/big bladed) not good at all because of lift.

:bday: Happy birthday to me tomorrow!

madmusic
10-18-2004, 11:52 PM
The atomic blades are different for the sfs deck as compared to the tfd, the ones for the Turboforce deck has much higher lift. They are not interchangable. Different size spindle bolt hole.

NC Scaper
10-19-2004, 01:01 PM
The heck with Atomics I just used gators, someone on here had a picture of the two blades comparing the lift

Tonyr
10-19-2004, 06:46 PM
my little red lawnmower has a 60'' turbo force deck, when running with the mulch kit on I do not like Atomics much, lack of lift at the end of the blade do to no fin/sail at the end....I found in bermuda they streaked...

I have had great success with Recyles from Toro, lots of lift, great mulchers!
great alrounders!

I most often use side discharge now and in rough country use Atomics, picks up less sand, on finish mowing I love Raptors fron Stens corp, excellent mulch/side discharge blade! I have not ran these with the mulch kit though, with the adjustable baffle I can almost side discharge mulch anyway, or use a chute blocker.

Try a set of Raptor blades, best alrounder I've used.
second is Recycles

with atomics i would think running them in doubles set ups would get better results, I have had a set of gator magnums on order since last febuary, if i ever get them i'll post a report on them with turbo force deck.

edward hedrick
10-19-2004, 09:22 PM
I have a Toro 52" classic I use Gators early in season, then

Toro hilifts, for leaves Gators. I take the 4 bolts that hold

chute, turn them so nuts are in air flow, this adds resistance. It helps chop leaves. Ed

Fvstringpicker
10-19-2004, 09:49 PM
I get much better cut with standard blades on a 44" Zmaster with mulch kit. My last set of standard blades were Exmark brand but I didn't compare them to Toro blades. They may be the same blade but they nevertheless cut better than the Atomic blades.

Green & Clean
10-21-2004, 12:04 AM
We had the same results as WigginsLandscaping with the atomic blades on our Toro 21" mowers. They gave us a very poor cut, and did not mulch nearly as well as the standard Toro blades. We resharpened the atomics, cleaned under the decks, but still were not impressed. We changed them back to the standard blades, and a nice clean cut, and great mulching returned. I guess the folks who designed the decks to work with the standard blades know what they are doing.