PDA

View Full Version : 52" or 60"

buckeyes04
10-18-2004, 05:26 PM
If I am doing 3 acres and under, would it be best to go with a 52" or 60" deck on an Exmark? I can get an 52" Lazer Z As for $6300 and a full size 60" Lazer Z for $7000.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-18-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a 48'' ztr and a 52'' walk behind. In my opinion a 52'' is about the max for most yards. 4 inches may not seem like much but on some yards it is the difference in getting between stuff in yards and not.If you get a 60 '' and pick up a small yard it may be hard to mow or you may have to pass because the mower is too big. On the other hand if you land a big yard 4- 6 acres then it means you have to ride it a little longer
Also a friend of mine had a 60'' deck mower and he scalped alot due to the lay of the land here in the part of Va we are in.
$700 bux would pay the sales tax and buy a new weed wacker or a blower or alot of gas for the Z.
In my opinion giving the info you provided I would go with the 52'' deck.

Ability
10-18-2004, 06:39 PM
I have a 48'' ztr and a 52'' walk behind.

I have a question for you grass_cuttin_fool.

I am considering changing mowers and I would like to know does your 48" ztr cut faster than your 52" wb?

Travis Followell
10-18-2004, 06:49 PM
You would probibly be better off with the 52" because it would save you $700 dollars and you could use that to buy something else or just put it back in your pocket. You would also get a better cut with a 52" becausewhere the deck is not as wide it is less likely to scalp.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-18-2004, 07:35 PM
ability,
Yes the scag tiger cub is alot faster than the toro walk behind. My toro is a 15 hp gear drive with the T-bar controls and I use a single wheel Velke. What I have found out is the Toro will make a tighter turn with less turf damage then the SCag. It is slower but it is faster in a turn if that makes sense

rotgg
10-18-2004, 08:29 PM
52 52 52 52 52

Ability
10-18-2004, 08:38 PM
ability,
Yes the scag tiger cub is alot faster than the toro walk behind. My toro is a 15 hp gear drive with the T-bar controls and I use a single wheel Velke. What I have found out is the Toro will make a tighter turn with less turf damage then the SCag. It is slower but it is faster in a turn if that makes sense

Thanks for the info. Like everyone else I am searching for the perfect mower for my needs.

buckeyes04
10-19-2004, 01:35 PM
thanks fellas

MMLawn
10-19-2004, 01:48 PM
If I am doing 3 acres and under, would it be best to go with a 52" or 60" deck on an Exmark? I can get an 52" Lazer Z As for $6300 and a full size 60" Lazer Z for $7000.

Please tell me those prices are for used and not for New equipment and which motor cause if so geezz my eXmark dealer quoted me $7700+tax just for a 52/23Kaw

FrankenScagMachines
10-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Friend of mine mows alot each week. He has a crew of I beleive two guys that work for him and he has gotten it to where they go do the work and he does other things, they don't require his babysitting. He had a 62" Toro Zmaster, and two 52" Toro Zmasters (ZTR's). He also has a 48" Hustler hydro w/b with a Velke X2. He traded the one toro 52 for a Exmark Lazer HP 52" and loved it so much he traded the 62" Toro for another 52" Lazer HP 52. so he has three 52" Z's now and the 48 w/b (sees little use). He claims they actually increased productivity on many places due to quicker in and out of tight areas and around obstacles, and the biggest place they do takes several hours and they only lost like 15 minutes? on that place. I can't remember the info right but basically, he prefers 52" for versatility and actually increased productivity in some spots. Me, i've always been a 52" guy. My first commercial mower was a 52" Scag w/b and I just got it cuz it was a good machine and a price i could afford. I later bought a 61" Scag three wheel STHM rider, and used it some places but found after a few weeks of use that i wasn't saving any time at all in the end (on average) cuz it was so big and long, plus lack of true zero degree turning, that it took too much time to maneuver it on small properties that i was using it on. It was nicer on larger places but it only saved a few minutes on my largest jobs, the rest of the time surprisingly the 52" 14hp w/b with sulky was actually same or faster, so same time average. So i sold the rider and moved up to a 52" eXmark TTHP, better machine, cost more but i could afford it (all of these were used). Then i sold my Scag w/b. The eXmark gave me great service and increased time some due to higher power, higher ground speed and better deck design (could mow faster easier and with better results, less double cutting). This worked out a great machine for me. This spring i decided to get a brand new Z and I got the Ferris becuase they had a great deal going and it has nice features other brands don't, just a nice machine. I tried it out and liked the way it cut and striped and handled, etc. so i got it. I did think about keeping the eXmark and gettin a 60" rider as i hoped to move into larger properties, but am glad i didn't and got a 52" rider instead because i didnt' need a 52" w/b anymore (so i made that into a 36" to replace an old 32" Gravely w/b I had). And, I ended up getting around 10 more yards after i got the rider, which was great. I increased productivity so much that those 10 more yards (most were 15 minute yards that a 60" wouldn't dream of fitting on! but a couple a little larger) did not add hardly any more time to the week's workload! Plus now i had a really nice, 36" hydro floating deck 17hp w/b (awesome machine) to get into gates and such. I am really pleased with my setup and i beleive it is the most effecient outfit I can imagine, for what i do.

So my vote is 52" unless your yards are open and not cluttered and your small yards will let a 60" fit. But thats the story of how i learned the hard way not to get overkill on size even though all the other LCO's are doing it (doesn't make them right, but maybe it does if most of their properties are larger). 52" is my size. Most LCO's here use 48" and 60" sizes so i'm a little unique, not many of us here use 52" but i like it, good all around size stripes not too large for small props, not too small for large props.

Eric 1
10-19-2004, 05:31 PM
FSM, good post (as usual)

I agree, for me i have a 50'' ZTR and it works well for me. A 60'' would be nice to have but I only have about 4 lawns were it would save much time.
I demoed a 60'', i will stick to a 50-52'' for now. It works well for me.

CharlieBingo
10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
My smallest yard is 5000sq ft, biggest say 2 acres. I've got ZTR's,WB's,and standers and I have to say my favorite most versatile machine is a 60in hydro walkbehind w/ a good 2 wheel velky. I think if some of you tried one you'd probably buy one.