PDA

View Full Version : What type of spreader is everyone using on the meals??

Livinglarge
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
I have a wonderfull (not) speedygreen 3000 that has trouble spreading the volumes that I am applying. I really need to invest in spreader that works better for the organics or I will end up building my own.

jajwrigh
10-18-2004, 10:50 PM
You may want to look into a Lesco unit!

AthensAndy
10-27-2004, 08:48 AM
anyone else? Is everyone using a Lesco?

SystemXpert
10-27-2004, 11:39 AM
I have almost the same exact question. I'm getting ready to apply some some horticulutral cornmeal. I own a Lesco Spreader and wonder if the holes are big enough.

In comparison to my old spreader, the holes open up on my Lesco Spreader to almost 1" in diameter. My old spreader the holes were small maybe 1/4" in diameter.

Anyone tried spreading meals with Lesco?

I'm going to try it tomorrow after I pick up the meal from the mill.

SystemXpert

SystemXpert
10-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Well just in case anyone is interested. I tried spreading 40lbs of plain corn meal over a 2000sqft section of my own yard today. I used the Lesco spreader, but it did not work on my 1st attempt. So I tried mixing the corn meal with 40lbs of Gypsum. (Something I had planned on putting down anyway). It kind made a dry slurry and with the holes all the way open it worked! I did have to tap the spreader handle sometimes to keep the flow coming, but all in all it worked great!

Now, I only plan on putting down corn meal 3 times a year as a fungus preventer, so mixing in 50% gypsum would be fine for me. I had planned on putting down Gypsum in two heavier separate apps. Instead I'll split them up into 3 apps and do it with the cornmeal.

I hope this info helps.

SystemXpert

Hamons
10-28-2004, 03:24 PM
What were the rates you figured you were putting down witht hat solution?

Livinglarge
10-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I was hoping that the Lesco would work better for the organics. I might have to buy a spreader and cut an extra hole.

SystemXpert
10-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Rates? Well, I had planned on putting down Corn Meal at 20lbs /1000ft and Gypsum at the same rate of 20lbs /1000ft. So I guess mixing both together 50/50 would be the same rate if all the material was spread out over 2000sqft of grass. Is my logic messed up?

I honestly don't know what the rate would truly be coming from the spreader. In this case I happen to know the area (section of my own yard) so I can get away with just evenly a certain amount of material over a specific area.

What do you mean by Organics? If your talking about standard products like Espoma, Milorganite, and Sustane, the Lesco Spreader works great. If you talking about feed-like meals (corn meal, alfalfa etc) then you might need to mix something in to act as a slurry. (Sand, Gypsum, etc). Don't even try to spread Peat Moss or Compost with a Lesco Spreader, your better off with a shovel and wheelbarrow.

SystemXpert

SystemXpert

Hamons
10-28-2004, 04:48 PM
One pass -- wide open -- no idea what the rate was?

SystemXpert
10-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Hamons, No, don't know the exact rate. I did cover the area in 1 pass with a little overlapping. I had maybe a cup or so of material left which i sprinkled by hand over some of the tight corners that might have been missed.

Interesting bonus. The powdery nature of the cornmeal left a distinct pattern over the area the spreader had covered. This disappeared after I watered it in.

SystemXpert

Hamons
10-28-2004, 05:10 PM
It sounds liek you spread 80#'s of mixed cornmeal and gypsum with one pass in a 2000ft area. So you were spreading at 40#/1000?

or.... did you spread 40# of mixed material in that 2000ft2?

When I am spreading my 10-2-8 I have my Lesco set just a hair over 26 and it puts out right at 15#/1000. (That is until I start getting tired and then I'm putting out slightly more than that :) )

SystemXpert
10-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Yes, If you think of it in terms of total material 40# / 1000 is about right. The mixture was a total of 80lbs spread over 2000ft. Half Gypsum Half Cornmeal. I sure hope the cornmeal gets rid of my brown patch.

SystemXpert

dishboy
10-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Yes, If you think of it in terms of total material 40# / 1000 is about right. The mixture was a total of 80lbs spread over 2000ft. Half Gypsum Half Cornmeal. I sure hope the cornmeal gets rid of my brown patch.

SystemXpert

Why not use cracked corn, spreads very easy and I have seen fungicidal results on two of my lawns this year following second app .

SystemXpert
10-29-2004, 07:06 AM
I would love to use cracked corn! The only problem is I heard it takes longer to breakdown into the soil. Also, here is SC we have a nice population of squirrels and birds. I really don't want have all the local wildlife digging up my lawn.

SystemXpert

timturf
10-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Proper water management, and the correct culture pratices should take care of brown patch!

Hamons, your too young to get that tired!!!!!!!!!!

SystemXpert
10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
" Proper water management, and the correct culture pratices should take care of brown patch! "

Your right in terms of preventing brown patch. However, I can't control the weather. Gray skies, warm temps, and scattered daily showers are prime for breeding brown patch in a thick lawn. Corn meal seems to be the best organic method, otherwise I'll have to use a fungicide.

By the way, is it true brown patch only attacks the surface leaves and that if treated, the roots can send up new green shoots?

SystemXpert

SystemXpert
11-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Update!

Holy Sh&T! The cornmeal is working! Its really working! The brown patch areas are turning green! The lesions on the blades are disappearing! Since I spread it over the whole lawn, all the grass is greening over. I thought it might just stop it from spreading, I didn't think it could actually fix the bad areas.

Interesting side note. The baby grass in the overseeded areas seems to be doing well and was not affected by the corn meal. I spread this a 20lbs / 1000sqft, so at least at that concentration its does not stop new grass from sprouting.

This is the 1st major score for organics in my book!

SystemXpert

dishboy
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
I have a wonderfull (not) speedygreen 3000 that has trouble spreading the volumes that I am applying. I really need to invest in spreader that works better for the organics or I will end up building my own.

I have a Earthway evenspread. I took apart the hopper, drilled the stainless steel rod the agitator circlip sticks into with a cobalt bit and installed a 2.5 in eyebolt with the eyebolt end installed out. I can now spread alfalfa meal . I bounce the spreader once to get the material flowing and away I go.

muddstopper
02-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Maybe an ignorant question here but, Has any one considered mixing their organics in water and spraying the application? Seems to me this would allow even distribution as well as water the product into the soil at the same time. Of course one would need to use larger nozzles than they would normaly use but???? I have appled compost with my hydroseeder and with the large spray nozzles and larger hoses it seems to work just fine.