PDA

View Full Version : Clumping causes?

Aleman
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Like the title says..What causes clumping when mowing damp grass?? Is it deck design?Blade speed? Dull blades? A deck that needs scraping?? Using the wrong blades?? What type blade performs better in wet grass?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Envy Lawn Service
10-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Boy, this is wide open for interpretation!!! It's also very dependent on what machine you are using. Specifics would help....

fcl01
10-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Like the title says..What causes clumping when mowing damp grass?? Is it deck design?Blade speed? Dull blades? A deck that needs scraping?? Using the wrong blades?? What type blade performs better in wet grass?? Inquiring minds want to know.

you answered your own question. its damp. but all that other stuff will play a role in it.

HighGrass
10-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I have had some of the wettest cutting this year. Here's my 2 cents.

In my area wet grass clumps...period. It might clump a little less If I use a standard lift blade or if the grass isn't quite as high. If I use gators and it happens to be wet, it's worse. I just think that when it's wet, everything just sticks together and only a real lot of blade RPM is going to make it disperse. Of course then you run into it sticking to the deck.

I have found a trick that works on larger lawns. And I say larger only because of the time factor. Say I show up to a lawn and it's wet. I do the piece that I think is going to give me the most clumping. I then mow everything else and then I raise the mower an inch. I then start back to the lot that I did first. If the sun is out, some of that clumped grass is a little dryer and, coupled with the fact that I've raised the deck an inch, spreads out better on the second pass (drive like hell here).

all ferris
10-18-2004, 10:07 PM
The clumping is caused by wet grass "sticking" to the deck and then when it does get out of the deck it sticks to itself. This condition is made worse when you "stripe" a lawn because you are dipersing more wet grass clippings into uncut grass. On the next pass back the mower has to disperse clippings from the previous pass and the grass that is actually being cut.

Thus, it helps to diperse clippings out away from uncut grass. However, by using this method you won't get purdy stripes.

Or you could just bag.

out4now
10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
I've never tried it but in a thread a few days ago someone suggested spraying Pam cooking oil under the deck,someone else suggested WD-40. Have used liquid floor wax before and that worked well.

impactlandscaping
10-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Mo Deck seems to work pretty well, too. Nothing will really keep grass from clumping even a little when it's damp.