PDA

View Full Version : Just got new Stihl MS290 Farm Boss

danmc
10-18-2004, 09:43 PM
I just got this chainsaw today. It's my first commercial chainsaw (my old one is a homelite). I was looking through the manual and it says three tanks of gas before using it at full throttle. Can I still cut with it at half to three quarters throttle? Should I let it idle for half a tank or so? Also, it recommends using mid-grade gas and if the octane rating of my local gas is less than 89 it recommends I use premium grade (The older Stihls I use at work only call for regular grade gas)
Here are the specs: 3.45 cu. in / 56.5 cc's, 16 inch bar/chain, 13lbs without bar/chain. Price: $349 with tax.

Dan

LLandscaping
10-18-2004, 09:49 PM
We have five Stihl Chain Saw, including a 029 ( MS 290 took place). We use regular 87 and have had no problems. I would not worry about running 3 tankfuls through it before going full throttle. We have never done that and have had the 029 for four year with at hundreds of hours on it.

dvmcmrhp52
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Weve got many (11) pieces of stihl equipment including an ms290,
all of them have had their 3 tankfulls run through before running full throttle. Why? Because proper seating of components during break in is important.

Up North
10-18-2004, 10:53 PM
I just got this chainsaw today. It's my first commercial chainsaw (my old one is a homelite). I was looking through the manual and it says three tanks of gas before using it at full throttle. Can I still cut with it at half to three quarters throttle? Should I let it idle for half a tank or so? Also, it recommends using mid-grade gas and if the octane rating of my local gas is less than 89 it recommends I use premium grade (The older Stihls I use at work only call for regular grade gas)
Here are the specs: 3.45 cu. in / 56.5 cc's, 16 inch bar/chain, 13lbs without bar/chain. Price: $349 with tax.

Dan

Hey Dan, I just picked up the MS310 Tuesday last week. I've always been a Husqvarna man, but for kicks I thought I'd try a Stihl this time. Plus we got a new dealer in town that really seems like a class outfit so figured I'd give them a try. Man, that thing buzzes through the wood... :blob3:

The MS310 is the same as the 290 but a little bigger piston, puts out 4hp with 3.60 cu.in. / 59cc's. Got it for $371 out the door w/extra chain & gallon of chain lube. I love it so far, my father in law has the 029 (older version of 290) and he's cut many many cords of wood with that saw and never a problem. Although I wouldn't consider the 290/310/390 commercial saws, but they sure do the job. Good luck with yours!

Buck

rockstate
10-18-2004, 11:14 PM
We own 3 MS 290s and we love them.

bottlefed89
10-19-2004, 01:21 AM
I would defenitely run the three tanks below full throttle, though I wouldn't let it idle for any extended amount of time. Honestly, I believe varying the RPM to be somewhat important also. They wouldn't make the break-in up, so if you want your equipment to last just do it. If you do much cutting at all, then 3 tanks ain't nothin, You ought to be able to live with it after reading what you are replacing...
I've got a ms310
and ms200t
I had a 029, and better 044, but they got stolen...bastards
No problems except the 310 has some oiling issues, love them all

Oldtimer
10-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Hang the saw from a rope so it won't be moving around and idle 2 tanks of fuel prior to using.

Never 'free run' a saw before using at least 3 to 5 tanks of fuel.

Always allow a saw to warm up before cutting to avoid the chance of causing a cold seizure. You wouldn't get in your truck with a max load and hit the freeway at full throttle a few seconds after starting the engine.

A new chain should be run at a low speed for 3 minutes and readjusted prior to cutting.

I have sold about 700 Stihl and Shindaiwa saws in the last 4 weeks and have had only 1 saw with internal problems requiring warranty repair.

Oldtimer

Up North
10-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Hang the saw from a rope so it won't be moving around and idle 2 tanks of fuel prior to using.

Never 'free run' a saw before using at least 3 to 5 tanks of fuel.

Always allow a saw to warm up before cutting to avoid the chance of causing a cold seizure. You wouldn't get in your truck with a max load and hit the freeway at full throttle a few seconds after starting the engine.

A new chain should be run at a low speed for 3 minutes and readjusted prior to cutting.

I have sold about 700 Stihl and Shindaiwa saws in the last 4 weeks and have had only 1 saw with internal problems requiring warranty repair.

Oldtimer

Good info Oldtimer, thanks. I imagine that the saw business has been pretty brisk down there after all the storm damage...hope all is getting back to somewhat normal for you all.

Buck

danmc
10-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Last night I got the new saw running after about ten pulls...
I brought it to work today and it took around ten pulls to start and when I got home I got it to run for about 10 seconds after fifteen pulls. After I get it running it stalls after 2 seconds.
All of the older stihl stuff we have at work takes 5 to 7 pulls to get started. I was hoping this new saw would start easier. I think I'll take it back to the dealer for some adjustments or something.

dkeisala
10-19-2004, 07:30 PM
I was at the Stihl dealer and he was demoing a saw that had some sort of easy start mechanism. Pulled the rope as easy as could be, released it and in a second or two the saw started. It was the coolest thing! They probably don't have it on the full line but it would be great if it was installed on all Stihl 2-cycle stuff. Love their equipment but it does take a full pulls to start the stuff.

RICHIE K
10-19-2004, 07:42 PM
i have the ms 390 and i love it. stihl is a great product... :drinkup:

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Husky03
10-19-2004, 08:50 PM
I would recomend breaking it in by varying the throttle from idle to 3/4 throttle. I would NOT just let it sit and idle for a tank or two. I know quite a bit about breaking in and tuning 2-stroke equipment because I race 2-stroke nitro powered R/C trucks. Break in is vital for my small nitro engines. :)