PDA

View Full Version : JRCO Hooker Aerator

gl1200a
10-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Does anyone use this type of aerator. I am interested in the design, but wonder if the 'hooks' actually work as they are described.

Thank you.

Runner
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
While JRCO makes some decent products, this is not one at the top of theur list. The hooks dig rather shallow, and are too few and far between. You have to go over a yard 3 or 4 times to even have any effect. When they first came out, they really had some penetration issues, but after a bit of reconfiguration and design, they were able to better place the spoons to dig a little better. How these do it, is not by downforce, but geometrically it is designe to PUSH the spoons in a an angle using the forward presure of the mower. The curved spoons then curve down into the soil and pop up the shattered "plugs". The only problem, as stated before, is the count and the total depth penetration. If you are looking serious unit that will shine on you mower, look into the Gatorator. If you do a search, you will find nothing but good by the people who own these units. Oh yeah, the con is that you can't turn with one while it's down, but I'll tell you what...the speed in which you are able to operate on a Z with one more than compenstes for that. You can cover some serious ground with one of these units. From what I understand, the geometry and design of this unit ALSO uses some leverage to help with penetration. In other words, not just the weight of the front of the mower is used, but the angle at which the hollow spoon tines (not curved) hit the ground also utilizes the forward push of the mower to its advantage. I hope this helps, and perhaps someone who is a proud owner of one of these units can chime in. Good luck with it.

gl1200a
10-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much for the informative reply!