PDA

View Full Version : H2b

mtdman
10-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Anyone do this for employees? Particularly smaller companies? How do you like it, how does it work, is it a good or bad idear?

I'm thinking about doing this for help next year maybe, not sure all of what it entails.

Thanks.

:D

impactlandscaping
10-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Tom, I get postcards from several places for H2B every few months. Most are around $ 2000.00-2500.00 for up to 99 visas. You are still responsible for the extras.With the way things are around here, I may be calling one of them really soon for next year. Most will flex the payments over 4-5 months, so you can get the workers making money for you, instead of fronting the whole bill in advance. Part of our problem is our local unemployment rate is at 3%, mostly everyone who wants to work is working...

JustMowIt
10-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Anyone do this for employees? Particularly smaller companies? How do you like it, how does it work, is it a good or bad idear?

I'm thinking about doing this for help next year maybe, not sure all of what it entails.

Thanks.

:D

H2B visas are great, but the road to getting them is a long paper filled adventure. We applied for 35 visas for the '04 season & received 21 workers. In 2005 we have already started the process & applied for 45 workers (we are distributing 1M door hangers), but the cap is 60,000 total for 2005 & unless the bill to raise the cap passes, many contractors will not receive the workers they need. In most cases, this will result in most companies having to rely on the documentation that the workers provide on their own! :dizzy:

lawncutr
10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
I did it last year and was approved and then lost out as the cap was reached...lots of paperwork, but it's gonna be worth it...for the most part most Americans would rather work for themselves than work for $9/hour..hence the program is great...workers that actually show up and have few excuses.

JustMowIt
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
I did it last year and was approved and then lost out as the cap was reached...lots of paperwork, but it's gonna be worth it...for the most part most Americans would rather work for themselves than work for $9/hour..hence the program is great...workers that actually show up and have few excuses.

H2B is great! The more years we participate, the better our results should be (i.e. I know of companies that have been using the program several seasons who have alomost 100% of their workers with H2B visas).

Be sure to consider this issue when you are voting in November! We need the H2B cap to be raised before March!!!!!!

John Kerry favors even more restrictions on the Mexican borders!!!! :angry:
Ummmm...Let's see, hard working, loyal employees, who risk their lives to make money for their families, who do the worst jobs, that Americans are too lazy to do.......WE SHOULD SHOOT THEM ON SITE & SPEND BILLIONS TRYING TO KEEP THEM OUT OF OUR ECONOMY!!!!!! :realmad:

Evergreenpros
10-20-2004, 05:28 PM
H2B is great! The more years we participate, the better our results should be (i.e. I know of companies that have been using the program several seasons who have alomost 100% of their workers with H2B visas).

Be sure to consider this issue when you are voting in November! We need the H2B cap to be raised before March!!!!!!

John Kerry favors even more restrictions on the Mexican borders!!!! :angry:
Ummmm...Let's see, hard working, loyal employees, who risk their lives to make money for their families, who do the worst jobs, that Americans are too lazy to do.......WE SHOULD SHOOT THEM ON SITE & SPEND BILLIONS TRYING TO KEEP THEM OUT OF OUR ECONOMY!!!!!! :realmad:

Didn't you hear? We've lost 994,536,667,345,987,676,786 jobs over the last 3.75 years. There's no jobs anywhere, nobody is working, our economy is in ruins. There's no hope except for John Kerry to take over the White House and to tax us into prosperity. Well, according to CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, and MSNBC anyway.

And no, there's no where in this country that has 3% unemployment. There's at least 948859685% unemployment everwhere, because there are no jobs. Nobody is working, we're all doomed.

gogetter
10-20-2004, 08:54 PM
I did it last year and was approved and then lost out as the cap was reached...

Did you get your money back I hope?

mtdman
10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
I just want one dude. What exactly do you have to provide for them?

Lawnworks
10-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Are the workers obligated to work for your company? How much do you have to pay them? Will a Mexican drivers license work here?

Green Quality
10-21-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry but what does H 2 b stand for?

gogetter
10-21-2004, 10:50 PM

Hard 2 Beat ! :D

Green Quality
10-21-2004, 11:02 PM
really, thats what it h 2 b stands for?i

green with envy
10-21-2004, 11:29 PM
All I know is someday I'll probably have to learn Spanish...."Damn I'm just getting good at English... :drinkup:

Mike

mtdman
10-21-2004, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure what it stands for, but it's a program of bringing Mexicans into the US and giving them work visas to work here for a period of time. After that period they have to return to Mexico. That's about all I know about it. I got a brochure from a local company who will handle all the legals and particulars for you. I just wondered how it worked out for people, etc. I'm not sure all of what you are expected to provide, either.

David Haggerty
10-22-2004, 05:20 AM
I just want one dude. What exactly do you have to provide for them?
There's a Mexican employment agency here in Wilmington. Try to find a Mexican agency locally or call "Garcia Employment Agency" in Wilmington, OH to see if anyone would want to work in Michigan.
Last winter I stayed at a campground in Brownsville Texas for a month. The groundskeeper for the campground saw my business on the side of my truck and asked if he could come to work for me. Every time he saw me! I could get you the name of the campground if you wanted it.
H2B is for if you want a lot of workers. You have to provide housing and transportation. I used to mow a couple of apartment complexes for H2B workers. They were all meat cutters for a packing plant. They wouldn't dream of cutting grass for a living.

Dave

PROCUT1
10-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Someone else asked this.......Are the obligated to stay with your company when you get them here?..........

JustMowIt
10-22-2004, 08:52 AM
H2B is just the name of the bill that made it law. The program is for seasonal workers only.

Our H2B workers must work for us, our company name is printed on their visa. If they quit, we are obligated to report that they are not working for us. With our Visa, they can get a Social Security card (once again only for our employment) & thus, Texas Drivers license. They must go home on the date printed on the visa, & we must re apply for them every year, & they have to be approved by the mexican authorities every year. You do not have to provide housing or transportation for them. YOu pay them according to US laws.

If you only need 1 worker, H2B is too expensive, you need a bi-lingual person to talk with them, you are required to set up a full payroll & withold taxes etc. etc. plus, like the guy in Austin, Texas, you can spend the money & still not get your worker the first year.

Hope this answers most questions. MJ

MMLawn
10-22-2004, 12:47 PM
H2B - is Hispanics to Business

and the other program for farmers is:

H2A - is Hispanics to Agriculture