PDA

View Full Version : Fire Wood

RICHIE K
10-19-2004, 07:22 AM
? FOR YOU ALL. I WAS THINKING OF SELLING SEASONED FIRE WOOD. I HAVE TONS OF IT IN OUR YARD. I SAVE IT FOR MY HOUSE BUT I HAVE TO MUCH. THE PAST FEW YEARS WE HAVE DONE MY TREE WORK THAN NORMAL.
I WAS THINKING OF SELLING IT FOR $135.00 PER PICK UP TRUCK LOAD. ???

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

crawdad
10-19-2004, 08:05 AM
That seems high, but then again, I'm in Tennessee, you're in Jersey. Where'd you get that price, is it about what the newspaper ads have?
Is it mostly Oak, or mixture, or what, that makes a lot of difference, too.
Crawdad

LwnmwrMan22
10-19-2004, 08:25 AM
? FOR YOU ALL. I WAS THINKING OF SELLING SEASONED FIRE WOOD. I HAVE TONS OF IT IN OUR YARD. I SAVE IT FOR MY HOUSE BUT I HAVE TO MUCH. THE PAST FEW YEARS WE HAVE DONE MY TREE WORK THAN NORMAL.
I WAS THINKING OF SELLING IT FOR $135.00 PER PICK UP TRUCK LOAD. ???

RICHIE K

I sell firewood here in MN.

$100 for a stack 4' H x 8' L x 16" pieces. Delivered and stacked. Mine is all oak, don't have a WHOLE lot of other hardwood in this area, maybe some Elm here and there.

A standard 8' pickup bed, stacked in, to the top of the bed rails, no sides, I'd get $135 for.

I see guys in the paper this year are starting to get the prices up, anywhere from $90 to $125 now this year for what I've sold for $100.

KathysLGC
10-19-2004, 09:10 AM
How much do you really think you can fit in a pick up with no sides? I don't even think you can get halk a cord in it. $135 for a pick up load is high.

Gravely_Man
10-19-2004, 10:08 AM
As pointed out check with the local nursery’s or the newspapers to find the going rate. Here in Northern Va. I can easily get $180.00 plus per cord of seasoned oak. It all depends on what price the market will allow. I love getting paid to remove a tree and haul away the debris. I can then turn around and sell the firewood and make even more money off the tree removal job!

Gravely_Man

Up North
10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
I sell firewood here in MN.

$100 for a stack 4' H x 8' L x 16" pieces. Delivered and stacked. Mine is all oak, don't have a WHOLE lot of other hardwood in this area, maybe some Elm here and there.

A standard 8' pickup bed, stacked in, to the top of the bed rails, no sides, I'd get $135 for.

I see guys in the paper this year are starting to get the prices up, anywhere from $90 to $125 now this year for what I've sold for $100.

Wow...glad I don't have to buy my wood in the twin cities. Up here they are selling a pickup load of oak from $60-$75 a load. A cord of oak in 8ft length runs $60-$68 plus delivery.

Buck

1MajorTom
10-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think selling wood is that profitable. Now if you are just trying to get rid of a little extra that you have lying around, then I guess that's ok. But it just seems that your hands have to touch the firewood so many times, before you actually get money in your palm.
First it needs to be cut, then it needs to be stored somewhere, most people that call want it delivered... so then you have to load up the truck, deliver it, and then unload it again and stack it. Lots of work I think for a few "Grants."

MMLawn
10-19-2004, 12:52 PM
I can buy that same amount of wood here for $45-$60

out4now
10-19-2004, 01:07 PM
We used to get a cord of firewood for 40-65 stacked but depends on type. Now demand is way down for it because of the no burn days impossed here. We have pollution really bad in the winter months here so the wood is not really in demand. Back where it's really could I imagine you could get 100 a cord for it. Guys who delivered ours were tree trimmers and used a flatbed Top-kick for delivery. A pick up might be too small.

qualitylandscaping
10-19-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm selling cords for $60-70 + delivery. White oak, hickory, maple

my cords are 4'tallx8'longx16"-18" pieces

rodfather
10-19-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm selling cords for $60-70 + delivery. White oak, hickory, maple

my cords are 4'tallx8'longx16"-18" pieces

That amount of wood is commonly referred to as a "face" cord.

rodfather
10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
First it needs to be cut, then it needs to be stored somewhere, most people that call want it delivered... so then you have to load up the truck, deliver it, and then unload it again and stack it. Lots of work I think for a few "Grants."

You're exactly correct Jodi...nothing easy about it. Very little profit IMO is why we stopped doing it.

Remsen1
10-19-2004, 01:56 PM
That's right, you have to find the going rate. In my area I can get 2 cord of split, indoor seasoned hardwood (about 4 pickup loads) for $85, delivered. A pickup load is not very much even if it is stacked vs. piled. I don't know how they make anything at it. It is so cheap because many people in my area can cut their own and the people setting the market are dummy's with chainsaws. Heating oil has sky rocketed, firewood should have gone up too to meet the demand, but it hasn't.

Gravely_Man
10-19-2004, 02:40 PM
I believe the below is accurate for some but not for all. I am getting paid to remove the trees. I then haul the good wood back to the yard and unload the truck and split the wood and pile it. I then wait for the call from Mrs. Smith asking for a cord of wood. I go out and load the truck and deliver. I have only had to touch the wood to load, unload, split, reload and deliver. I am getting paid twice for the same wood but yes I am handling it several times.

Gravely_Man

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think selling wood is that profitable. Now if you are just trying to get rid of a little extra that you have lying around, then I guess that's ok. But it just seems that your hands have to touch the firewood so many times, before you actually get money in your palm.

grasswhacker
10-19-2004, 03:04 PM

Correct. A very low profit labor intensive venture.

out4now
10-19-2004, 03:43 PM
If he has it laying around and people are comming to get it and they unload it themselves when they get home it could be profitable.

qualitylandscaping
10-19-2004, 03:49 PM
You're exactly correct Jodi...nothing easy about it. Very little profit IMO is why we stopped doing it.

I save the wood from trees I take down during the summer. Pile it up and run it through the splitter in the winter..

Gives me something to do when I'm bored and not plowing. Splitting by hand is tough work but running them through a splitter is cake.. Grab a chair, turn on the tunes, and go to work. :drinkup:

FuzzyOne
10-19-2004, 04:31 PM
There is a company near where I live that sells full cords delivered for just over $200......and they sell out every year. I also see a lot of peple buy those little plastic wrapped bundles with 4 pieces for $5.00. It still amazes me.

I collect my own and split my own. Last year I burned about 2.5 cords. I think my MTD log splitter is one of the funnest piece of equipment to run. Like qualitylandscaping said, "I pull up a chair, turn on the tunes and go to work."

I may actually try to sell stacks this year. I think more people around here burn wood for the looks rather than the heat....

Up North
10-19-2004, 04:56 PM
We burn about 12-15 cords a winter here. We heat the house, shop, & hot water with an outdoor woodstove (boiler). It heats water that gets pumped into the house and shop, works great. Had 15 cords delivered for this season, don't have time to cut it down myself. I cut about 7 cords from our woods last winter but got to be a pain having to skid it out with the snowmobile...too slow of a process. ]

Buck

gogetter
10-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Richie, a cord of wood (not a "pick up truck load") in this area goes for anywhere from $100 of mixed wood (and it's probably not fully seasoned), up to $185 for a full cord of seasoned hardwood. Most charge more for delivery and/or stacking.

I'm right across the bridge from you, so these prices should hold fairly true for your area too.

If you invest in the equipment to package bundled wood, you can get 3 to 4 times as much per cord.

From the research I've done, I think there would be money in firewood IF done right. Meaning, having the proper equipment, and if you can get the wood for free or next to free.

jbell113
10-19-2004, 05:24 PM
You can get a pickup truck load in GA for $40 - $50

LwnmwrMan22
10-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Okay, I've looked into ALL the aspects of firewood.

From little mom and pop type splitters, to regular wood processors, where you put an 8-18' log on the rack, and with hitting 3-4 levers, it cuts, splits and stacks the wood for you. One of those machines will be around $45,000-$60,000.

I started with a hydraulic splitter on the 3 pt of the tractor, now I've got a splitter that you hit a lever and it goes down and back automatically in 7 seconds.

It's got a hydraulic log lift, so anything over 15-17" in diameter, I can roll over to the splitter and it'll lift it up to the splitter.

I and another person can cut and split 1 cord+ an hour. This is if I get it hauled in, in log length, for $50-60 / cord, cord being 4'x4'x8'.

If I were to do 100 FULL cords, I've got it figured out that it would take 2 guys, about 40 (8) hour days.

Paying these guys $10 / hour each, after paying $5,000 for 100 full cords of logs, splitting, storing, then advertising and delivering the wood, I figured 100 miles round trip for each FACE cord, 4'x8'x16", that I would gross $30,000, net about $13,000.

Now, after you were set up with the same 300 people each year, so you could cut out $2800 / year in advertising fees, then your net would go up to about 50%.

Now, if I were to invest in a wood processor, then you can cut and split all that wood in about 2 weeks, with 2 people. One guy running the tractor loading the logs, and then another guy running the processor.

The biggest problem I have right now is investing the $50,000 or so in a processor.

The other problem, I deliver to people that want fires for 2-3-4 hours in the evening, hench the 4'x8'x16" pieces. The processer has a tendency to split bigger pieces since you're not handling them, you're not as "hands on" since you're just pushing levers.

I've also got an old hay bale elevator that I use, we flip the split pieces of wood onto that, and then that stacks it up in a pile for us.

The next step I'd REALLY like to do is get a 50'x100' building built, so I can store my wood inside and then load it with the tractor off the concrete floor, instead of off the ground like now. There's a lot of wasted wood that gets full of dirt this way.

Once it's loaded in the dump trailer, it takes about an hour to get to where I'm going and stack the wood again.

As far as the bundles go, again, there's another machine that does that, but it's about $35,000. If you have wood that's at all rotten, it just plugs up the splitter.

stexasrookie
10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Not sure about your area, but I've been told and seen on web sites about it being illegal selling wood by the truck load. It must be sold by the cord or a fraction of a cord. A "truck load" is a fairly loose term, could be a 1/4 ton truck stacked to the bed rails with a 5' bed or a 8' bed stacked to the top of the cab. Some customers ask, but some dont. You need to specific in the sale which is why that law exists. By the way we used to sell oak & pecan for $150 per cord and mesquite for $100 per cord here in south Texas. A tip for advertising is talk with chimney sweeper companies and give a commission for mentioning you... atleast when it leads to a sale.

gogetter
10-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Not sure about your area, but I've been told and seen on web sites about it being illegal selling wood by the truck load. It must be sold by the cord or a fraction of a cord.

I doubt there is a law that says you can't sell a truck load of wood. You just can't call that truck load a "cord" if it's not a true measured cord.

gogetter
10-19-2004, 06:26 PM
LwnmwrMan22, if you're seriously considering investing all that money into firewood, I strongly suggest finding a previous article in Tree Care Industry magazine that was about selling "bundled" firewood. Very interesting read, and it seems to be where the money is.
The article ran about 2 years ago. Maybe contact them to see if you can order a re-print of it.

LwnmwrMan22
10-19-2004, 06:50 PM
LwnmwrMan22, if you're seriously considering investing all that money into firewood, I strongly suggest finding a previous article in Tree Care Industry magazine that was about selling "bundled" firewood. Very interesting read, and it seems to be where the money is.
The article ran about 2 years ago. Maybe contact them to see if you can order a re-print of it.

gogetter -

Just driving to a gas station, Home Depot, etc., tells you that's where the money is.

When you can purchase 6 pieces of wood in a bundle, for $2.99 - $4, and I get $100 for approx, 150 pieces in a face cord, well, it doesn't take too much logic. I figured it out one time that's about the same as paying over $800 for 1 full cord of wood.

The gas stations that I do, and the Wal-Marts, I've talked to about setting up my own bin, or taking over the distributorship of whoever they have there.

The only problem, I have to do it company wide. As in ALL of the midwest Home Depot's, or 200 gas stations.

To be honest with you, I'm a one man show, and like with my mowing equipment, the firewood processor would be purchased for a tax write-off more than anything.

As for the "truckload" aspect. An 8' box, stacked tightly, slightly heaped in the middle, only to the top of the rails, no sides, would be 1 and 1/2 face cords, or 1/2 of a full cord. Measure it out, you'll see. :)

RICHIE K
10-19-2004, 07:45 PM
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE GUYS. LAWN SITE RULES :drinkup:

RICHIE K

Jusmowin
10-19-2004, 08:30 PM
I sell 10 to 18 cords of firewood every year and I get $75.00 for a stacked and delivered 8ft pick up truck load of seasoned oak/mapel wood. As for firewood not being profitable, I really dont think that is true. I do all the splitting and stacking myself on the weekends and evenings after I get done cutting. I look at it as any extra money is good money and with my little 24 ton splitter it really doesnt take that long to split and stack a cord (about 3 hours).

cantoo
10-19-2004, 09:16 PM
My wife just picked up another 3 face cords of hardwood tonight. It is Can$45 per face cord, stored inside two years, all body wood, already split and he loads it from the inside of a big shed. The guy sells around 200 face cord per year. The place is actually only 1 mile out of my way on the way home from work so we might offer firewood delivered and dumped for about $60 which is what most guys charge around here.
We have been considering doing some tree work just so we could have our own firewood but it just ain't worth it yet.

tinman
10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
I agree with Tom. That's a lot of work for a little money. I can see selling the wood from a cleanup though, since you make money twice.

LwnmwrMan22
10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I COMPLETELY agree that it's alot of work for your return.

However, if I'm just sitting around all winter waiting for it to snow, then it's a nice little bonus income.

LwnmwrMan22
10-19-2004, 10:42 PM
One other idea.

I usually throw in a pack or 2 of Fatwood Firestarters to my every year customers.

It's something to set me apart from every other guy "selling a truckload of firewood".

I say Fatwood Firestarters, because over the years, I've tried different firestarters from making my own, to pretty much any brand I can find around this area.

These are pretty neat. It usually comes in a 3 lb bag, and it's just sticks of Fatwood.

You break one in half, light the two "middles" on fire, and stack 3 pieces of wood on top. Usually gets the wood going with one match. If not, it must have rained on the wood. :)

Just a thought about the rest of you guys could do. It's about $3 / pack for these, but I just tack on an extra $5 for each one I leave behind.

I started out by saying I usually just throw these in, because, unlike mowing or snowplowing, 7 out of 10 times I'll get an extra $10, $20, dinner gift certificate, stuff like that, so I keep those customers happy.

HighGrass
10-19-2004, 11:44 PM
120/cord here

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-20-2004, 12:42 AM
a guy down here will buy a chord of green pecan for about 130 as long as you stack it for him at his place.

thinking about renting a trailer and taking about 3 chords down to him one of these days.

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-20-2004, 12:46 AM
forgot to say that it will be worth my time, cause i usually have to rent a trailer for my job on the weekends working for a tree guy, and we always knock down big pecans and stack them on the curb, so it'll take nothing, just gas going about 45 miles pulling a 5-6k worth of wood.

Todd's lawncare
05-02-2005, 12:15 AM
i myself and family sell firewood all winter can make good money on it . They get triaxle dump for around 400 of logs and they have the setup for hands free and it loads the truck for them to . But its not only a winter thing i and they sell to camp grounds 120-180 for a cord not stacked only dumped 90-110 for a pick up all year long not as much in the summer but alot .

fearthedeere
05-02-2005, 03:08 PM
wow, In the redneck area here in Southern Indiana, I could only demand $40.00 tops plus delivery. Most other guys were charging $25-$35 plus delivery.

lawnandplow42
05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
in my area 135 a cord is actually not bad at all!!

I've seen a half cord neatly stacked in an 8 ft. pickup bed. But my friend uses a 1 ton dump truck to fit a cord. Dump trucks are nice because you don't have to unload neccessarily.

Todd's lawncare
05-02-2005, 09:27 PM
in my area 135 a cord is actually not bad at all!!

I've seen a half cord neatly stacked in an 8 ft. pickup bed. But my friend uses a 1 ton dump truck to fit a cord. Dump trucks are nice because you don't have to unload neccessarily.
Does he stack it to or just dump ? i wouldn't dump it if i had to stack makes more work and boy is wood cheap down there it would pay me to truck it in and still make money 35 to 45 it cheap

Petr51488
05-02-2005, 09:45 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but i don't know the answer too. How do you season firewood? Back to the topic.. I recently bought a log splitter and its been paid for allready. Just our montly heating bill every month costs 800-900 for a month! With the fireplace going in the living room it brings it down to 350 a month.. so its been good for us. Me and my brother can do 1 cord per hour if not more. I sit on the chair and control the levers and he puts the logs on the splitter. Its the life.. lol best thing is that i don't have to pay him. The only problem i have it finding wood to split..Well.. can someone tell me? What is seasoned wood? Is it when it dryes out?

DALMlawn&landscaping
05-02-2005, 11:18 PM
pete, yes, like i wait at least 6 months for my mesquite to season before i use it to bar-b-que, when its ready, its 'seasoned' when not seasoned, its i guess concidered green.

Petr51488
05-02-2005, 11:26 PM
pete, yes, like i wait at least 6 months for my mesquite to season before i use it to bar-b-que, when its ready, its 'seasoned' when not seasoned, its i guess concidered green.

Thanks.. i have about 3 cords split now.. they should be ready for the winter i guess..

sheshovel
05-03-2005, 12:52 AM
My woodstove is the only source of heat in the house.Firwood should be cut a year before concidered seasoned,(meaning been cut one season ago)
You stack it up on 2x4's or a rack of some kind where air can get around the stack,leave it out a season in spring and Summer,cover before it begins to rain in Fall and you have seasoned firewood.
Don't leave it on the ground ,don't stack it up against the house and don't stack Pine bettween two Pine trees using them as your end posts cuz that is a perfect situation for Bark beetles.
After that said I suggest you take your savings in elect bill and put it into a good firplace insert or woodstove.
Fireplaces are very bad conductors of heat and you will waste as much wood as you burn in them.As far as warming the house goes and keeping it that way,a fireplace is lousy at that. :D

Here it's pushing$200.00 a cord

northwest lawn
05-03-2005, 01:50 AM
i get $175.00 a cord for oak/hardwood mixed. that isnt delevery or stakcked just picked up sell around 100 cord a year. looking to buy a cord king firewood processor.

Todd's lawncare
05-03-2005, 03:21 AM
i get $175.00 a cord for oak/hardwood mixed. that isnt delevery or stakcked just picked up sell around 100 cord a year. looking to buy a cord king firewood processor.
what do you gross a year in everything you do ?

northwest lawn
05-28-2005, 02:11 AM
guestimating this season i should gross around $110,000.00

topsites
05-28-2005, 07:35 AM

Don't forget split and seasoned (thou that last just takes time). Even with a powerful wood-splitter, it takes hours. Had a friend of mine tried it out, the guy had tractor-trailer loads of the stuff, wood lined up everywhere, all split and everything but after it was all said and done, he told me he'd never do it again: Same problem, just too much work for the dough.

topsites
05-28-2005, 07:38 AM
You can get a pickup truck load in GA for $40 - $50

Yeah but that's redneck wood.

topsites
05-28-2005, 07:44 AM
gogetter -

Just driving to a gas station, Home Depot, etc., tells you that's where the money is.

When you can purchase 6 pieces of wood in a bundle, for $2.99 - $4, and I get $100 for approx, 150 pieces in a face cord, well, it doesn't take too much logic. I figured it out one time that's about the same as paying over $800 for 1 full cord of wood.

The gas stations that I do, and the Wal-Marts, I've talked to about setting up my own bin, or taking over the distributorship of whoever they have there.

The only problem, I have to do it company wide. As in ALL of the midwest Home Depot's, or 200 gas stations.

To be honest with you, I'm a one man show, and like with my mowing equipment, the firewood processor would be purchased for a tax write-off more than anything.

As for the "truckload" aspect. An 8' box, stacked tightly, slightly heaped in the middle, only to the top of the rails, no sides, would be 1 and 1/2 face cords, or 1/2 of a full cord. Measure it out, you'll see. :)

Try smaller gas-stations... By smaller I mean franchised operations rather than corporate (of course the franchise is still part of the corporation). Here we have a guy operates about 18 Rennie's service stations and another guy operates Seibert's stations.

gogetter
05-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Same problem, just too much work for the dough.

All I can say is read a few articles in Tree Care Industry, and Timberline magazines and it looks to me like there's plenty of money in it. Seems like it's a matter of having the right equipment, and not being afraid to price it at what's it's worth.

LwnmwrMan22
05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
I bought a Multitek 2025 last winter.

$43,000 with 200 hours on it.

I've got access to about 300 cord of oak wood that's dead that I'm buying from the guy for $10 / cord.

If I get the wood hauled in, it's about $70-90 / cord.

I have to go cut this down and haul it out, it's about 15 miles from my house.

I've got a dump trailer and a tractor where I can haul 2 cords / trip.

My pops and I go and cut days where it isn't too cold, too snowy, etc. and stack the wood up.

Days where it's too cold, I'll just haul wood since there's a heated cab on the Kubota.

The area where we're cutting is in the middle of nowhere, so we just leave the tractor out there.

Anyways, the month of February we cut approx. 50 full cord of trees down and hauled them home.

The month of March we split wood practically every day.

If you have 2 guys that are able to move somewhat quickly, you cannot keep up with the machine, it'll split wood as fast as you're able to load it into it.

We could split up to 5 full cord / day.

In about 25 days I've split 40 of the 50 cord, which around here is about $12,000 worth of wood at $300 / cord delivered and stacked.

I know right now the machine isn't worth the money, but now I still have the energy (sometimes) to subsidize the firewood with the lawn mowing money.

I'm looking ahead about 10-15 years when my sons will be old enough to take over the lawn mowing, then I'll be able to run the firewood business full time and not do quite the amount of physical labor.

As of this moment, my expenses on 100 full cords of wood are about $24,000, and the revenue is about $30,000. This is about the amount of wood I'm going to do per year.

Last year we didn't get started until the winter was almost over, so we weren't able to get to the 100 cord mark.

These expenses also include $4,000 / year for advertising fees, which I figure in 5 years there should be a customer list grown to about 300 people, so that expense can be elimitated, and also about $11,000 / year in the cost of paying for the processor.

After the first 5 years, just like any other business, it should be streamlined enough to where I'll have about $12,000 / year in expenses and the revenue should be around $33,000.

Again, it's not alot of money for 3-4 solid months of work, but when you're sitting around doing nothing but waiting for snow to fall, it's another way to pick up $15-20k while not having to work for someone else.

It would also go much faster if I were to have the wood hauled in, but then the cost of the wood itself would be about $8,000, where as now with the cost of gas, time, paying for the wood, it's about $2,500 / 100 cord of wood.

mosmgras
05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
That's one serious splitter! Sure beats my 12hp home made. How many cords can you split per hour?

pagefault
05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
God bless Texas.

I get my wood for free. If it is all cut up (but not split), I just haul it away. If it needs to be cut up (entire trees, large branches), I get paid to take it. People don't really value it down here.

Sure, there is a guy who sells it cut, split and stacked for about $50 a truckload, but I just got two truckloads of oak for free. Homeowners just want to get it out of their yard. Very few people burn it. There are tons of houses around here without fireplaces and certainly no stoves to speak of.

I can heat my house in the winter with about a cord of wood. It doesn't get too cold down here, but it freezes from time to time and people certainly run their heaters plenty from November to March. Not me. I've got a giant "heatilator" style fireplace and our heat rarely comes on.

LwnmwrMan22
05-29-2005, 11:19 PM
That's one serious splitter! Sure beats my 12hp home made. How many cords can you split per hour?

With 3 guys working, we can split up to 2 1/2 cords / hour.

DALMlawn&landscaping
06-02-2005, 01:26 AM
haha, yeah, this house being built behind my ranch (oh they're in a 100 yr flood plain, haha) anyways, they just cleared like at least 5 or 6 yrds of oak and maybe twice that of cedar, like you said, we can't get rid of it quick enough here in s.texas, i could cut down oak for a year and still have more for the next 10!