PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Mulching Kit

CODYHEATHER
10-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to see who has a mulching kit on a Exmark Metro, and if you feel it's worth it. Got a lot of leaves starting to come down, and I would like to mulch instead of trying to pick them up. I just bought a new Stihl backpack blower, and I thought I would blow the leaves out into the yard and mulch them if I could. I'm to the point now that I'm pushing leaves across the yard with the mower. By the way, I love my metro, bought it used this spring with less than 25 hours on it. It should last a homeowner like me forever.

bushtrimmer
10-19-2004, 09:23 AM
IMO you would be a lot better of getting a set of gator blades than the mulching kit. The mulching kit tends to windrow the leaves when they are heavy. We just use the mulching kit to cut commercial properties where it is just a strip here and there.

ElephantNest
10-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I use the mulch kit on my 36" TTHP year round. I do it a little differently than I've heard others......I use gators until the leaves get bad, then switch to low lift mulching blades. The gators cause way too much leaf blow out for me, making double or triple cutting neccessary because of all the leaves pouring out of the side. I don't get that problem with regular mulching blades.

And yes, that's what I do, blow the leaves onto the yard then cut. When I need to do this, I also go ahead and trim first and edge, then blow it all in the grass, then mulch it up.

Blessed 1
10-19-2004, 09:54 AM
I keep my mulching kit on the Metro Year round as well. They do a great job. I use the Exmark mulching blades.

laborador
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I use gators until the leaves get bad, then switch to low lift mulching blades.

When you use the gators do you get an uncut strip of grass in the middle.
When you say low lift mulching blades, do you mean the wavy blades. I thought they were considered hight lift mulching blades. Thanks

gr84
10-20-2004, 12:06 AM
we use the high lifts in the summer and put the gators on in the fall. what we do is when u get all that leaf blowout it we idle down the mower a bit and that really helps on that. most of the time we cut the yard twice and that takes care of all the leaves. here in mansfield ohio we can go once a week like regular mowing and don't have a problem with the leaves. all in all it really doesn't take that much extra time considering u dont have to touch the leaves

CODYHEATHER
10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of just using gators and slowing the rpm's down a little. I only have one area in the front yard where the leaves are bad, and I'll just mow it more often. Thanks again.

Turfman999
10-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Under normal conditions after Spring, the mulch kit is great and keeps
the clippings from blowing all over the place. During the "lush" Spring
timeframe, they leave trails of wet grass. I would either take the kit off for
Spring or use a different mower for the wet times!

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2004, 12:15 PM
OK guys, I have a question.... What is the difference between the regular eXmark mulching blade and the eXcalibur mulching blade? I know the eXcalibur is know for being sharpened to the center hole.... but I have a set of the regular's and they are sharpened to the center. So I gotta wonder what the difference really is?

I PM'd this question to Terry, but they shut down the messaging before he had a chance to reply.

JKOOPERS
10-23-2004, 02:34 PM
i just boguht a mulch kit for my 60" tt and it does a great job . when the leaves are dry . saves alot of time from cutting 2-3 times .

Qwikchute
10-25-2004, 12:09 PM
We have a great product for mower opperators that need to mulch on an occasional basis called the Qwikchute. It is an OCDC (opperator controled discharge chute) it give you the choice to mulch or side discharge by simply moving the handle there is also an intermediate position. See at our web site www.qwikchute.com