PDA

View Full Version : Retractable truck bed cover

tsh1773
10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Is there a retractable truck bed cover that can be used when hauling mulch in a pickup truck. I'm not talking about the hard covers that retract. I'm thinking of the pull out covers seen on dump trucks and the like. I thought about making my own but would like to see a model if its out there.

Mark McC
10-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I've thought about something like that for both truck bed and trailer. Everything I've seen is essentially flat and I want something that'll accomodate mulch or whatever bulging up higher than the height of the truck bed.

The manufacturers aren't using much imagination in determing product line. My guess is that I'll end up tying dowels to each end of a tarp and fixing one end to the front of the bed. When I need it, I'll just grab the other dowel and pull toward the back of the truck. Not sure how I'll fix it in place, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

As for the trailer, same principle, but more complicated. Can't let the tarp hit a hot exhaust pipe.

UNISCAPER
10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Pull Tarp corporation, El Cajon, Ca makes a retractable bed tarp for most any truck on the road. Cost will run about $450.00 and they work sweet.