PDA

View Full Version : Business license ?

Lawn Maintenience
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
I started cuttin 5 lawns part time this year and want to get 20 and go full time next year do u think it would be better if i got a license and how much would that cost or do u think i shiould ask for cash and do it under the table?

MMLawn
10-19-2004, 02:05 PM
;) I guess it depends if you are an honest, professional, tax paying, law abidding business or if you are an illegal, dishonest lawn monkey :dizzy:

rdran5
10-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Man, don't take this wrong, but this question is like your going to a pharmacy and trying to buy crack. The folks on this site are professionals, of course you need a license and insurance. If I am paying 25 percent of what I make to uncle sam and insurance cost how can I compete with you.

Yes you need license and insurance. Good Luck

parkwest
10-19-2004, 02:10 PM
I can forward this question to my friend who works for the IRS and ask her for her opinion, if you would like.

Personally, I have never wanted to go to jail just so I could get the job.

rodfather
To answer some of your points and questions, 20 accounts IMO (unless they are very large props) is not enough to go full time (even solo). Keep you day job as well whatever that might be.

As for needing a license, your municipal clerk can tell you how much it will cost (even if you need one) which I doubt.

As for doing business under the table accepting cash, that I cannot concur with. Do it right or don't do it at all IMO.

Lawn Maintenience
How much would getting a business license and get insurance cost?

mastercare
10-19-2004, 02:18 PM
The stuff I'm telling you is particular to the state of Michigan. States may vary in their requirements, but this is how MI works.

You can set yourself up as a legal business many ways. Best way to do it is to talk to your CPA. There's C corp, S corp, and LLC. Or, here's the cheap way to start:

Set yourself up as a D.B.A. (Doing business as). This is nothing more than taking on an assumed name. Myself for example...is "Dan J. DBA Master Care Lawnscape." You go to the county clerk office, pick out a name, sign a paper and hand the clerk $10. That's it. You now have a legitimate busines name. However, this does not protect you and your personal assets from liability should you get sued. Most corporations would. This being said, when you get larger, consider becoming an LLC or an S corp.

But, regardless of how you set up. YOU NEED LIABILITY INSURANCE, AND PAY YOUR TAXES!

As far as a license, in this state you don't need a license to cut grass. You would need a license however if you are "constructing" or building landscapes. Lawn maint. doesn't need a license here.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions

celawncare1
11-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Here is my scenario: Don't have great credit, nor do I have alot of money but with the Biz License after 2 years I can report "stated income" and purchase the house that I have been leasing for two years...something else to consider.

Lawnworks
11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
I just incorporated, do I still need to get a business license? I never got around to that bullshat.

Team Gopher
11-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Lawn Maintenience,

According to this site (http://www.contractorcity.com/contentid-113.html), I can not find that you need a business license to cut lawns.