PDA

View Full Version : Organic Tip.... Free Coffee Grounds!

Garden Panzer
10-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Did you know you can get free grinds from your local Starbucks? I use them for roses and as a soil ammendment. I've been mulching tree wells with it, too.
:)

dreamertex
01-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Garden Panzer, I have been thinking about using your idea but using it as a part of my top dressing mix. Do you know what the pH is in the grounds? Thinking I could add 1/3 sand with this and maybe 1/3 peat moss and hoping this may give me a quality top dressing mix cheaper than my current cost of $30.00 a yard.

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
I believe that once the acids are leached through for a few minutes with boiling water, the pH of the grounds is 7.0. At least litmus paper shows neutral.

Coffee grounds are an organic fertilizer as good as most any other. Your top dressing would be much more powerful than a typical top soil and sand dressing.

Starbucks has a corporate policy to make their grounds available to recyclers. Other coffee shops will also accomodate. Think Duncan Donuts, Denny's, and any other donut or coffee shop. Shoot even our local Stop-N-Go sells 80 pots of coffee every morning.

Some people set up a rotation with the Starbucks. They drop off a Rubbermaid bin with their name on it and replace that bin every other day with one just like it.

Garden Panzer
01-16-2005, 09:01 PM
I drop it down and as the season goes on add grass clippings and such.... it will make lots of mushrooms grow as well....