PDA

View Full Version : Engine braking

southside
05-26-2000, 09:56 AM
I assume most vehicles in the US have auto<br>gearboxes so I was wondering if you use any<br>form of auxillary braking in your trucks.<br>eg. Jake brake,Dynatard,Exhaust brake,ect.<br>Towing large trailers with an auto can be<br>hairy.All my trucks are manual.Small truck<br>has 5 speed syncro with exhaust brake and the<br>big heap has a 10 speed roadranger constant<br>mesh,no aux.brake but real low geared (50mph).<p>Karl<br>

Bobby
05-26-2000, 06:38 PM
Hey Karl. Most of the guys around here use trailer brakes (electric) Question for you. Dose Toyota sell pickups with diesel engines down under?<br>I have only heard of Jake-Brakes being in semi's. You know,Peterbuilt,Freightliner,Kenworth. <br>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale<br> <p><font size="1">Edited by: Bobby

thelawnguy
05-26-2000, 09:54 PM
Jake Brake (Jacobs Engineering) is pretty much what is installed here in CT (they are manufactured locally). I dont know what the setup would be like on your V8 but 6 cylinder Cat lets you choose two, four, or six cylinder braking. <p>You only really see exhaust brakes in the States on vehicles over 26,000 lbs, usually because the smaller trucks are subject to Federal noise regulations, and gas engines still outnumber diesels.<p>Bill<br>

Victor
05-26-2000, 10:03 PM
Hey there Karl. I'd be suprised if Jacobs doesn't, or won't soon offer a Jake for your truck. They're trying to get into the medium, and light truck markets now too. They see how many medium, and light truck applications there are out there that could benefit from having a Jake, and have started offering Jakes for these smaller trucks. For instance. Did you know that they offer a Jake for Powerstrokes, and I believe 5.9 liter Cummins engines now? <br>I don't know what truck you drive, but I'd give them a call and ask about availability. Good luck.<p>Victor

southside
05-27-2000, 08:51 AM
Bobby, Toyota does make a diesel ute (pick up) over here,current model is a 3 litre<br>4cyl diesel.Model is known as the Hilux.<br>Very robust utes.Available in 2wd and 4wd.<p>Karl<br>