PDA

View Full Version : Decided on an Isuzu NPR, now have other tough choice.

syzer
10-20-2004, 10:46 PM
I was recently looking to get a f350-450 dump with a 20' enclosed trailer. Isuzus have always been on my mind, and I think they are awesome looking, and look a heck of a lot easier to drive, not to mention really professional looking.

Today, I seen an LCO with a mitsu 4 door dump, I guess 14-16'. Its what I want now =), I cannot have it any other way hehe. So here is my dilemma. I really would like a dump, I plan on picking up where I left off two years ago. Thats a lot of landscaping, shrub removal/trimming, mulching etc. Here is where the dump is so very nice! I would put a nice large ramp like the guys had today, that way I can put my equipment in there and scoot around town.

My issues:

1. Equipment still int he open, I think one of the roll over tarps can pretty much handle this problem.

2. Fall clean ups, if I have my equipment in there, where are the leaves going to go? I figure worse case scenario I can put them up int he front of the trailer and put the equipment in the back, but it stinks not being able to use a nice leaf vac to just suck them up and shoot them in a truck bed. What do you guys do? I really don't want to tow a 16' trailer behind one of these guys.

3. I think it would be a whole lot easier having a dedicated dump. I would not have to worry about equipment in the way every if I have a job that will need both. Of course, it seems I cut grass more then dumped things.

I would love a cube type box, my problems with that is that it seems confining, no dump, kind of like single purpose. Love the advertising you can do on the side!

Big disadvantage for both, not plowing/salt spreading.

Break down:

dump truck/trailer Pros:
Much more versatile.
Plowing
Secure storage, out of rain (over landscape dump body)
lots of room
Nice looking

dump truck/trailer cons:
More difficult to drive (big for me, I don't like driving big wide trailers =)).
Not as professional looking (but by no means bad)

NPR Dump pros:
Nice big dump
can hold all equipment
very good looking
plenty of room

NPR dump cons:
Equipment basically in the elements
need to take equipment out to dump anything
not good for jobs that need hauling and equipment (if you need more then one or two ztr's or wb's)

NPR box pros:
Super clean/professional looking
nice secure private storage out of the elements
Can have work area, nice tool holders
can be pretty customized.

NPR Box cons:
cant dump =).
Seems limited to only hauling equipment around, not too ideal for landscaping.

Can you guys please give me some incite/input. I am pretty torn here =).

CrewCutEnterprises
10-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Ok, Im also in Md, Annapolis to be exact

I used to work for a guy in Upper marlboro who ran a crew out of an npr. It was a 14ft box truck with a roll up door and a large hydrolic folding ramp.

It also had underbody fuel tank20 gallong(with inside cab switch) to turn on fuel to pump into mowers..
Also had 10 gallon i believe mix tank with the same set up.

Great for advertizing.

He ran a 60 inch z and 48 inch walk behind out of it. All handhelds on the walls. I would unload the truck at the end of the day iof the debree which was just tied up into tarps. sometimes 4 or 5 of them. were talking about 2 to 4 yards of materials crammed into these trucks.

But they smell from the grass in the rear.

So my thought.. For a dedicated mowing crew.. Its a great idea. they even could take pallets of mulch in the rear of the truck 4 normally with like 30 3 cu ft bags a pallet

I run a f250 with an ez dumper and 16 ft enclosed trailer... Thought about the enclosed trailer and all out dump truck but.... Not yet.. Its all in your preference. If its a dedicated work truck... NPR box all the way. Then get an NPR dump. Also Test drive one.. its not like turning your f350.. they turn like a fire truck. .. very very sharp. not fast trucks thought

Another landscaper in annapolis (bayridge lawn and landscape) runs an npr.....loads all debree into brute trash cans. and they have an 7 or 8 foot lift gate to take the 2 hydro gravely's off..

Shadetree Ltd
10-21-2004, 02:23 AM
I do not have pictures of our new truck yet but it is similar to what you are looking for. It is the GMC 4500 W series (The same truck as Isuzu, I just don't know what model in the States). It has a 150" wheelbase. The back of the truck is a dumping 9' Knapheide Landscaper box. It has a great tailgate system and a 50" side door. The capacity for the 9' is 8.8 yards. In front of the dump is a tool cabinet that measures 60" front to back and is the same width as the dump (96" maybe? can't remember exactly) and has a height of 6'. This box holds 2 21" mowers, a 36" Exmark Turf Tracer HP, 2 line trimmers and 2 backpack blowers. I don't have side underbody toolboxes yet but I will be able to fit a 4' on the drivers side and a 7' on the passenger side. The mowers are loaded and unloaded on ramps stored under the body. So far it is working out great.

Scott

syzer
10-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. This will be a dedicated work truck.

I think I will get the NPR box now, and pick up a ford or isuzu dump in the winter, just in time for plowing/salting. I would like to just get athe usuze dump up front, but I am too worried about debris/equipment situations.

Thanks for the insite! CrewCut, I drive fire engines, so thats no problem =).

Lawnworks
10-21-2004, 10:07 PM
What about just getting a dump trailer for your box truck? I just bought an NPR box. I think you won't REALLY know what works for you until you try it. That is what I am doing anyway.

syzer
10-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I thought of that, but I think that would be a huge PITA towing behind a 16' NPR box. I have a 95 ram deisel I can use though =).

gogetter
10-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Chris, are you going to be working solo, or have a crew? If you're going to have employees, I'll just throw a thought out there. You said you do more grass cutting then dumping. And you said you have a pick up truck already.

So, maybe go with the NPR box truck for a grass cutting crew. You know all the benefits for that already.

Then, get a dump insert for your pick up truck. Put some side boards on it. Use the truck for hauling debris (hedge trimmings, smaller amounts of mulch, etc.). Put a leaf box on it for fall. Use it for plowing in the winter.

Anything that won't fit in the pick up (larger mulch jobs, landscape material, stone, etc.) have it delivered.

This kinda covers all the bases. Just a thought. Keep us posted.

syzer
10-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Chris, are you going to be working solo, or have a crew? If you're going to have employees, I'll just throw a thought out there. You said you do more grass cutting then dumping. And you said you have a pick up truck already.

So, maybe go with the NPR box truck for a grass cutting crew. You know all the benefits for that already.

Then, get a dump insert for your pick up truck. Put some side boards on it. Use the truck for hauling debris (hedge trimmings, smaller amounts of mulch, etc.). Put a leaf box on it for fall. Use it for plowing in the winter.

Anything that won't fit in the pick up (larger mulch jobs, landscape material, stone, etc.) have it delivered.

This kinda covers all the bases. Just a thought. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the ideas, thats pretty much exactly what I plan on doing. All but the dump insert. I am just going to pick up a nice used ford of isuzu diesel dump in the fall, should be just in time for plowing and clean up. I figure can pick a decent one up for about 15-20k.

I am going to be solo right off the bat with maybe 1 or 2 part time helpers as needed. Once I pick up about 30-40 accounts I will get another guy involved for the sake of speed. Maybe if I can get someone reliable and smart, have him replace me, and get him a helper. That way I can seriously concentrate on growing my business and getting my old accounts back.

I will keep everyone posted, and post pics of my equipment as it comes. Its tough finding a crew cab box truck in good used low mileage condition =).

CrewCutEnterprises
10-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey Chris.

U stated about towing the dump behind an NPR.

Go test drive one. you can make a U turn in like 3 lanes as apposed to 5 in a f350