PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going back to an enclosed...

Lawn-Scapes
10-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Just thinking out loud here. No real questions (maybe). I switched to an open trailer this year because 1. I needed something larger, 2. I really prefer to work off an open trailer and pulling one, and 3. cost was a factor at the time. Now I think I may go back to an enclosed because I don't like my equipment being weathered and I don't really have any storage at my home.

I was looking at 16 footer's which would be just the right size for my current equipment (meaning no extra room for anything else). Then I was looking at a 20 footer but don't like the idea of pulling a house behind me. Now I'm looking at a 16 footer with a 5' V nose on it. I don't know... like I said.. just thinking. :)

Would pulling a 20' enclosed feel much different then pulling my current 16' open trailer? This is what I'm thinking of getting.

oneandonlyjojo
10-22-2004, 04:43 PM
that is real large wat kind of equipment do u bring with you that u need something like that. half of that is maybe the largest trailer u would see being hauled around here. but the whole storage thing is an issue i have also and need something enclosed next year

Lawn-Scapes
10-22-2004, 04:51 PM
That's a 20' V nose.

oneandonlyjojo
10-22-2004, 05:01 PM
yea i was wondering how many mowers do u carry in that daily>

Lawn-Scapes
10-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I would have 2 72" Dixie Choppers, a 21" and possibly a 36" walkbehind. There will be times when I would want to bring one Dixie Chopper and my tractor/aerator together... which I cannot do with a 16 footer. For those that haven't seen my set up... here it is. Snug as a bug. BTW.. The trailer is for sale :)

JHLC
10-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I personally would go with the 20'. I had a 14' enclosed trailer, now I have a 20'. There is so much more room in the 20',its definitely worth the extra trouble it is to tow. After about two weeks you get used to it. Its not full yet, but I have the extra space if I need it. Just my thoughts.

mmacsek
10-22-2004, 07:19 PM
I went from a 14' open trailer to a 18' enclosed this year. I needed the storage. I have extra room and nothing is shoe horned. There is no problem driving. I tried to pm you but it is disabled. How much for the trailer? I'm looking for an open for next year. I'm adding a crew. Thanks Matt

proenterprises
10-22-2004, 07:48 PM
I would have 2 72" Dixie Choppers, a 21" and possibly a 36" walkbehind. There will be times when I would want to bring one Dixie Chopper and my tractor/aerator together... which I cannot do with a 16 footer. For those that haven't seen my set up... here it is. Snug as a bug. BTW.. The trailer is for sale :)

are your gas cans on a rack their? or are they just sittting their just because your @ home, just wondering?

Lawn-Scapes
10-22-2004, 07:56 PM
are your gas cans on a rack their? or are they just sittting their just because your @ home, just wondering?
Not sure what you're asking?

LwnmwrMan22
10-22-2004, 08:41 PM
I've got a 24' Featherlite, V-Nose, so there's an extra 4' in the "V", and I still don't have enough room.

Seems like the bigger you get, just that much more stuff gets on your wish list and you end up hauling that around too.

Mark McC
10-22-2004, 09:57 PM
I would have 2 72" Dixie Choppers, a 21" and possibly a 36" walkbehind.

Do you really need to haul both your Choppers? If not, perhaps the size issue is not such an issue after all.

Lawn-Scapes
10-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Yes... both Choppers will be needed.

Jackman
10-23-2004, 12:41 AM
I'd go for the 20 you would get used to it and have the space.... One of these days I 'll get a 20V..... DOT Cops must be blind in Maryland as here in N.Y. thay would have your ass for those gas cans, the fine is pricey.....

Lawn-Scapes
10-23-2004, 12:45 AM
A fine for what?

out4now
10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
I think he's asking why you leave gas cans out where someone could take them. Here enclosed is pretty much a neccesity because the sun destrys stuff and everytime you go to a cicle K a crook will be casing your truck. Seen it so many times here. Guy goes in comes out drops his drink, hot dog, whatever and starts running after someone. This happens in broad daylight too that's what really gets me. Cops live at convience stores and it still happens. Doesn't realy matter what side of town either. I live in a upper middle class area and it still happens here just not as much as other places.

Geezer
10-23-2004, 01:18 AM
The gas cans are not DOT compliant. You must have a Type 1 or Type 2 safety can. These are metal cans that have a positive spring loaded closure. The can be dropped, rolled or overturned and will not leak. I have seen these cans get crushed and aside from the fuel forced out, not leak afterward. The Commercial vehicle guys from our DOT often target LCOs because so many of us are non compliant when trailering....lights, safety chains, break-away brake boxes, electric brakes on EACH trailer axle, etc

As you could guess, the cans are not cheap.

Lawn-Scapes
10-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Never heard this before. I'll check into it.

And... if someone needs to steal $10 worth of gas (which is really not a problem around here) then they probably need it more than I do.

all ferris
10-23-2004, 10:15 AM
I have always liked enclosed trailers. However, It seems to me like it would be a pain to fill up mowers at the gas station. I don't carry gas with me except for pre-mix. Another thing is that I like to load mulch and rock over the side of my open trailer with the bobcat. An enclosed sure would be convenient if it had a crapper in it. Sure does suck when nature calls in the middle of a job. :dizzy:

Lawn-Scapes
10-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I forgot about the filling of the mowers. I guess it would be more difficult. I only carry mixed gas too.

An enclosed sure would be convenient if it had a crapper in it. Sure does suck when nature calls in the middle of a job.
Doesn't it?

Lawn-Scapes
10-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Macsek Lawncare.. I missed your question about the trailer for sale.. sorry. It's listed in the Marketplace forum here at lawnsite.

2k1yzfr1
10-23-2004, 12:58 PM
If you are ordering a new trailer have the install 2- 12"x12" fuel doors on the side. Then when you pull up to the pump open the fuel door, stick the handle through and fuel up the mowers. I purchased a 20' enclosed back in March and would never go back to an open trailer for mowing. It's so nice to be able to back up in the evening lock the trailer and go inside.

LwnmwrMan22
10-23-2004, 01:10 PM
I have always liked enclosed trailers. However, It seems to me like it would be a pain to fill up mowers at the gas station. I don't carry gas with me except for pre-mix. Another thing is that I like to load mulch and rock over the side of my open trailer with the bobcat. An enclosed sure would be convenient if it had a crapper in it. Sure does suck when nature calls in the middle of a job. :dizzy:

Seriously, it takes about 2 minutes longer to pull up to a pump, pull the mowers off, and fill them up. I can do 2 mowers, 4 tanks by myself in the time it takes my truck to fill up.

The other thing, get some commercial accounts near a gas station, then you can fill them up when you get done mowing. I've got a gas station / day on my route, so I can pretty much fill up whenever I get below 1/2 tank left.

Just as with anything else in this business, it's all ingenuity.

Branchland
10-23-2004, 01:31 PM
I love my enclosed. The open is easier to work off of but I like the sercurity and out of the weather. Mine is 20 feet and wished it was at least 26 feet. I do have kitchen cabinets in the front to store stuff with plywood on top as a workbench.But that only takes up about 20 inches.

bastalker
10-23-2004, 02:04 PM
I am in your situation Tom. Not much room to for storage. I got this 7x16 that works great...

mtdman
10-23-2004, 02:57 PM
I like the idea of an enclosed trailer. However, when I had my leaf box on the trailer last year I hated it. I couldn't get used to it, and it bugged the hell outta me not being able to see the back while backing up. I'd like to get something enclosed that could hold everything, but there are a lot of places that I go that would be too small to fit all that in on the street. Heck, I can't even park in front of my house with my new truck anymore.

I'd like to get a new open trailer in the spring though, with a side gate so I can get to the stuff up front without unloading the whole damned thing.

:D

Creative Lawn Care
10-23-2004, 03:05 PM
I love my enclosed. Mine is 7x12 so not nearly as long as some of yours. The only issue I have noticed is of course its a little harder backing up since you cant see. Besides this it is great, equipment is safe, out of the weather, and gives you a place to...well take care of nature if you carry the correct items with you LOL. As for fueling the mowers, I carry 2- 5 gal cans and a 2.5 gal mix, so Ijsut fill them up every other day when I am fueling the truck.

Jackman
10-23-2004, 05:57 PM
The gas cans are not DOT compliant. You must have a Type 1 or Type 2 safety can. These are metal cans that have a positive spring loaded closure. The can be dropped, rolled or overturned and will not leak. I have seen these cans get crushed and aside from the fuel forced out, not leak afterward. The Commercial vehicle guys from our DOT often target LCOs because so many of us are non compliant when trailering....lights, safety chains, break-away brake boxes, electric brakes on EACH trailer axle, etc

As you could guess, the cans are not cheap.

Geezer said all..... DOT fines are stiff and most likely enforced in Maryland also, If I were you I'd hide those cans, They are noncompliant and the fines start in the hundreds and go up....

The point made about gassing up the mowers was over looked by me , glad you mentioned it I guess its the plus and minus thing...Bummer but I still want a 20 enclosed.......

all ferris
10-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Seriously, it takes about 2 minutes longer to pull up to a pump, pull the mowers off, and fill them up. I can do 2 mowers, 4 tanks by myself in the time it takes my truck to fill up.

The other thing, get some commercial accounts near a gas station, then you can fill them up when you get done mowing. I've got a gas station / day on my route, so I can pretty much fill up whenever I get below 1/2 tank left.

Just as with anything else in this business, it's all ingenuity.

Well good for you. You're a genius and I'll just run right out and do this.
:drinkup: