PDA

View Full Version : TV & Yellow pages

Green Dreams
10-22-2004, 08:59 PM
I am gonna take the plunge and try some tv advertising on local cable. I also bought nice little blurbs in 3 local area yellow pages.

the ad costs $500 to produce.

the yellow pages ads ran about $700 for 3 area books...

I'd appreciate any comments you may have on any past results from either of these...

Thanks

LawnsRUsInc.
10-22-2004, 09:32 PM
yp ad 700 a month or total? Thier is another company here on LS that did tv and it produced 0 calls.

Green Dreams
10-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Yellow pages is good for a year...

zero calls?

wonderful....

lol

walker-talker
10-23-2004, 07:07 AM
There was an excellent post by someone who worked in the advertising field for a long time, primarily cable advertising. He said for long term it was good for getting your name out there, but not for direct response. For direct response, use direct mail....like postcards, doorhangers or flyers.

precisioncut
10-23-2004, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't use a TV ad but I do have yellow page ads that get calls.

LLCO
10-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Here is the link to the other thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=85927

MMLawn
10-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Yellow pages is good for a year...

Must be just a business name listing and # only then if it only cost $700 for 3 books for one year then. Cause I had one add that was a full page color that cost me $1200 a month (which is how the major books bill) and a much smaller one in another book that still cost me $245 a month. Of course I am in a major metro area for NC also though and that too comes into pay on price

walker-talker
10-25-2004, 06:37 PM
I had one add that was a full page color that cost me $1200 a month What kind of response rate did you have with that? I had considered a 1/2 page ad that was going to cost me about $3500 for the year, but decided against it because that would have been my entire advertising budget.

Green Dreams
10-25-2004, 06:55 PM
They are just bold Listings. Kinda like this..

Texas Green Dreams
serving your area since 1988
www.texasgreendreams.com
call Andy for estimates.....###-####

But it is sized appropriately

Lawnworks
10-25-2004, 10:41 PM
What is the majority of your calls w/ a full color page? Do you get alot of one time cut callers? High end stuff? How many chance on bidding on big contracts would you guestimate that you get per year?

MMLawn
10-26-2004, 12:56 PM
What kind of response rate did you have with that? I had considered a 1/2 page ad that was going to cost me about $3500 for the year, but decided against it because that would have been my entire advertising budget.

It (full page) really wasn't worth the money it cost (a total of $14,400) in the long run vs. the amount spent and new cust's gain I don't believe and I dropped it after 1 year. I do think though that full color does help and draws a potential new customers attention to the ad, but it is an expensive add on.

timturf
10-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Did for a year,little responce,and new custumers didn't cover the cost of the ad.
Get very few calls from listing in the yellow pages, then usually for sod purchase!

pema
10-26-2004, 03:53 PM
My operation is Fertilizer, turf pest control only. I have found that for every $1.00 spent on traditional advertisement i.e. Radio, Newspaper or print in generaly I am lucky to get about .50$ in return business. I'm in agreement with all who have found the Yellow Pages to be a bust. I have never gotten in return business what I invested in Yellow pages. I suspect a lot has to do with the timing. If the new Yellow Page book doesn't come out until after June, then for me I've found that those monthly payments are waisted until the spring selling season begins. I keep my presence in the book but don't try to maintain ad sizes equal to the big guys.

It also appears that the magic "formula" to marketing the lawn care business isn't the same as other service type industries. The cost per customer is just too high for these options. I've been trying to figure out what works the best. Here is what I found based on cost per customer and response rates.

WOM! (word of mouth) is the best.
Telemarketing*
Door Hangers
Networking through other LCO, and doing speaking engagements.
Company name and Phone on Vehicles: ( I get many calls from cars sitting next to me in traffic)
Newpaper

*It is going to be interesting to see how the BIG Spray companies adjust to the growing number of consumers jumping on the "No Call" bandwagon. If their cost per customer grows as I suspect it will, they will be forced to charge higher prices for treatments.

I'm still working on a "Best Plan" of attack for marketing our industry. Right now I just hit it hard in early spring, get what new business I can from Febrary to May and after that, any new sales is sauce for the Goose!

Dman1214
10-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Pema, intelligent post, the only problem with your word of mouth theory is customers beget customers, so for that medthod to work, you must first grow your customer base in the other ways

pema
10-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Pema, intelligent post, the only problem with your word of mouth theory is customers beget customers, so for that medthod to work, you must first grow your customer base in the other ways

Ah the chicken or the egg? What came first, the customer, or the referral?

You are correct! and WOM should be moved down the list. It does require a customer base to be most effective in growing accounts.

I valued WOM so highly just on the merits that it cost nothing.

Lawnworks
10-26-2004, 09:38 PM
I don't think the yellow pages are a bust, but I wish I knew if getting a bigger one will be better.