PDA

View Full Version : Can it haul it?

youngdude
10-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I have a '95 F-150 with the 300 cubic inch stright six in it with a 5 speed manual. By the spring of next year I am going to buy a 16ft trailer, grew out of the 10ft quick. Anyways im wondering if my truck can haul a 16ft inclosed trailer? Haulmark trailers are what I am looking into. I am going to have three 48 inch walkbehinds and blowers and trimmers stored inside this. Can the truck handle this? And its all city driving, nothing probally over 40mph.

Avery
10-23-2004, 12:35 AM
You shouldn't have any trouble. The straight six has loads of torque.

hosejockey2002
10-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Like was said before, the 300-6 has good torque. However, your 5-speed does not have a very low gear to start out in, and a lot of those F150s have very tall rear end ratios. This adds up to a lot of stress and wear on your clutch getting all the weight moving, no matter how skillful a driver you are. If your area is flat, you will probably be fine. If not, I would look for a 3/4 ton truck or one with an automatic.

shepoutside
10-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Will have no problem. We have a 80 we still use, and it hauls a dump trailer. We don't use 5th with the trailer, as it's in the city. You may, as we did , have problems with it jumping out, if you do :) The 6 is a great work engine, no timing chain, just gears, love em :blob3:

xcopterdoc
10-23-2004, 04:21 PM
The engine will have no problem pulling. However, if you are gonna keep the truck, I would have a set of lower gears put in the rear. I'd go with 4.10's. Watch your tounge weight, keep it the load balanced and make sure you have trailer brakes.

youngdude
10-23-2004, 07:35 PM
What would it cost to have the 4.10's put it the back. I got the truck over the summer and noticed it has more leaf's in the rear than most that i have seen, it has five. Im wondering if it is because of the short bed or if someone put some more leafs in the back?

youngdude
10-23-2004, 07:53 PM
One more question, this truck has almost 120,000 miles on it. It seems that when its cold or hauling mowers or mulch around town, or even everyday driving it seems to lug. Im shifting 2nd to 3rd at around 30mph and it feals like something is sliping and it jumps like its luging. It doesnt do this when im on the clutch, it almost feals like a belt is slipping and then catches, it has pleantly of pick-up when i hit the gas. Any ideas?

Eric 1
10-23-2004, 08:52 PM
It sounds like it needs a good tune up or a tps (throttle position sensor) It you have not gave it a good tune up in the last 50.000 miles, head to the parts house.
Thats my 2 cents anyhow.

youngdude
10-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Can you give me a little more info on the tps? What does it do and how it would stop this luging problem.

Eric 1
10-23-2004, 10:12 PM
I will try, but there are lots other here that no more about this than i do.

The tps tells the computer how far you have the gas peddle pushed, the computer feeds off this (and other) signal's to meeter the fuel flow,air/fuel mix,timing advance, if it is bad it will give the computer faulty signals. ie you may have the thing at 1/2 throttle but the sensor only reads 1/4, ect. it may also cause a high or low idle or just feel lacking in power.

Also check the fuel filter and for a vacuum leak.
And hold your hand over the tail pipe, it will be hot. There should be a good amount of pressure coming out, if not the catalytic converter could be plugged.

Unless you have some experience, i would take it to a good shop, other wise you are just throwing parts at it hoping to fix it.

When was the last tune up?

Eric 1
10-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Im shifting 2nd to 3rd at around 30mph and it feals like something is sliping and it jumps like its luging. It doesnt do this when im on the clutch, it almost feals like a belt is slipping and then catches, it has pleantly of pick-up when i hit the gas. Any ideas?

Is this how you always drive this truck and this is a new problem, or is this a new truck to you.

I dont know your gears ratio, but in mine that is a low speed to shift at to try to get up speed fast, maybe wind it out allitle more, i shift into 3rd at about 40,(normally) but it can go as high as 55.lol

Smalltimer1
10-24-2004, 01:16 AM
I'd take it easy on that 5 spd in the F-150, it's a Mazda unit--not very fond of towing with one. You may want to consider finding a wrecked F-250 with a ZF-5 in it.....the ZF is a much better unit.

youngdude
10-24-2004, 11:23 PM
I usualy shift 2nd to 3rd at 30mph without the trailer on. Also when i go up a hill i have alot more power when im 3/4 way down on the floor with the gas pedel than all the way down to the floor. When i am all the way down to the floor i hear somekind of cable clicking and i dont have nearly as much power. With all these problems i am telling you about you probally think its a POS, but its been a hell of a truck so far.

Eric 1
10-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Dude, please answer my question......... WHEN DID YOU TUNE IT UP ?IS THIS A NEW TUCK FOR YOU?

I can not help you any more unless you will try the things i say and will answer my questions, you seem to be ignoring me and just posting more questions. :sleeping: A tune up can work wonders.

The popping could be detonation, check the timing.i dont know the specks on that engine, but would guess somewhere around 8-12* b.t.d.c.

PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTIONS :blob2: