PDA

View Full Version : Coustumer Wont Pay!

0money
10-23-2004, 11:11 AM
I got a question? I got a costumer on a 12 mounth service agreement she paid the first mounth at sighnning and she hasnt paid anything sence. She keeps saying the check is in the mail .but she only lives down the road from me it shouldnt take more than three days to get here. So what can i do leagally to get my money? Ive never had this problem before ? What rights do i have. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Frontier-Lawn
10-23-2004, 12:08 PM
how many months behind is she. and do you have a signed contract at hand

HOOLIE
10-24-2004, 04:09 AM
I think you asked this question in the other forum. Are you still doing work for her? If so, send her a letter stating service has been cut off due to lack of payment. Follow up with a phone call. Might be a situation where she's been laid off or something. If you can't reach some arrangement as far as payment, go ahead and take her to Small Claims Court.

Lux Lawn
10-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Take her to Small Claims Court maybe she will pay you when she gets the notice for court.

LCME
10-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Give them notice you have stopped services until the dept is paid in full. Go over there and demand payment now. Make sure other neighbors see you. Embarrass the crap out of them. Get your money and run!. Good luck, LCME

TClawn
10-27-2004, 03:14 PM
send her a letter with a notice that if she doesn't pay up by so and so date you will file a lien on her property along with a $400 "filing fee"

Smalltimer1
10-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Get a court order judgement on something of hers, such as her car. Then you'll have her attention--she'll pay up real fast when she sees you loading her car on a trailer headed for your house, and when she protests, show her the papers.

"You want my services???? Well you have to pay for them to get them."

MMLawn
10-27-2004, 05:10 PM
SURELY you also stopped mowing months ago when she stopped paying??????

petergrimm
03-14-2005, 10:50 PM
:blob3:
SMALL CLAIMS COURT OR PUT A LIEN ON HER PROPERTY

Groundcover Solutions
03-15-2005, 01:12 AM
We had a customer who owed us around 300 for miscellaneous services back in my mowing and landscaping days. She told us the same thing the check is in the mail... Well the check never came so we sent repeated letters finally I got fed up and went directly to her house. She told me the same old story so I left but before i left I told her I would be back to collect if I did not receive the check in the next few days. Since she lived close to me I would drive by when ever I was in the area. If I saw she had company I would stop by and make sure every one visiting knew what i was there for. I would also stop by at dinner time and just at random times that are not convenient for her until she got the picture and payed up. Now that we service larger accounts we just stop service. In my industry this is quite effective with the large landscaping companies because they are on dead lines and if we don't service them for two or more days they are not getting around 1000 yards of material down that they needed. Had one company that we required a weekly pay check from they did not pay the bill was around 20,000 so we stopped service and worked on other clients the next day I had a check in my hand.

westwind
03-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Start here. Then follow up with late charges and phone calls. When that does'nt work, small claims court. $15.00 filing fee up here. Good Luck payup payup

Scottish LScape
03-15-2005, 10:31 AM
I would go in this order! Letter, phone call, Saturday morning knock on the door. Good Luck!

MMLawn
03-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Guys, look at the original Post date of this thread. Since it was Last Year and someone went in the archives/old threads and pulled it up he probably by now has either settled this or figured out how to handle it. :waving:

Groundcover Solutions
03-16-2005, 01:18 AM
well it still helps to discuse it and cover new ideas for collecting never hurt to go over things a few extra times!

thes
03-17-2005, 11:58 AM
I know the original thread was from Oct '04 (would love to know how it was resolved) ....but I have something to add...

I had a customer that owed me $450 in services rendered. She gave me a sob story back in June '04 (but loved the work & wanted me to continue) and I told her that I understood if she needed to break down payments, but when it was months with no payments (5 mos)...after I made multiple ignored unthreatening phone messages to work out a payment plan, and after a "failure to pay" letter....I went to her town's police department and put "theft of services" on her. She had a police officer show up at her door, explaining to her that I haven't pressed charges of theft on her yet, but that I *did have the right* to do that. To see if you can use "theft of services"...call the police dept in the town that the person lives in.

Needless to say, she told the officer that she would send out a check in full by the following week....and I DID receive it!!!! Surprise, surprise!!!
So, sometimes the system does work. Just remember, showing up at customers' houses can be a form of harrassment, that they could have YOU charged with....so be careful with that. Also, if you want to keep a good business reputation, ALWAYS be professional in ALL cases...it will go a long way.

The C Man
03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Needless to say, she told the officer that she would send out a check in full by the following week....and I DID receive it!
Did you continue to work for her afterwards?

thes
03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
That was at the end of last season....and, No, I haven't called her to see if she wants me back. I don't want a customer like this....upfront, paying customers are what I want.

I have a feeling that she does this every season to unregistered/uninsured LCOs, who have no way of legally getting the money from her. Since I am legit, she couldn't get away with it. Maybe it'll make her think twice before doing it to another LCO in the future.

As for me, I'm looking forward...no looking back! :cool2:

0money
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I went to her work ,she had her boss write out a check,she asked me if i would keep mowing her yard I told her yes ,she gave me the check I went home and sent her anouther invoise for that mouth with a note saying that the payment must be paid infull before she would get her grass cut and I have not heard from her since.

SoloMow
03-20-2005, 12:11 AM
This true story is not directly related to our industry, but the final result was the same! Several years ago I hired a general contractor to oversee the construction of a new house. Everything was great until the end. After moving in, we were rudely supprised by a letter from the company that installed our garage door. It seems that the general contractor had failed to pay this company and they had placed a PROPERTY LIEN on our home. Believe me, a letter of this type will get your attention! It took $50 and a lawyer's phone call threatening a lawsuit, but the contractor backstroked and paid the bill. The lien was removed. Long story short, if you can legally enforce a property lien you will usually win. :cool:

freddyc
03-20-2005, 10:06 PM
roundup on the lawn and shrubs, brake fluid on the car, sugar in the tank, and a dead skunk in the mailbox....

only kidding. Call, write, and then visit. :)

kootoomootoo
03-20-2005, 10:19 PM
This true story is not directly related to our industry, but the final result was the same! Several years ago I hired a general contractor to oversee the construction of a new house. Everything was great until the end. After moving in, we were rudely supprised by a letter from the company that installed our garage door. It seems that the general contractor had failed to pay this company and they had placed a PROPERTY LIEN on our home. Believe me, a letter of this type will get your attention! It took $50 and a lawyer's phone call threatening a lawsuit, but the contractor backstroked and paid the bill. The lien was removed. Long story short, if you can legally enforce a property lien you will usually win. :cool:

Similar story...there is a subdivision up the road and the builder went broke.
3 homes in one street now have huge propery lien's against them..I mean 100,000+

Maxwells
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
No cash in the letter box when i turn up - :cool2: no job done very simple no late payers !!!