PDA

View Full Version : Molasses on Turf...

Green Dreams
10-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I was curious as to how mixing in molasses into my lawn mix would help. And how much per 1000ft would be required to help the microbe activity?

Thanks

Green Dreams
10-26-2004, 09:40 AM
which is it? lol....thanks

timturf
10-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Neither, but what are you trying to accomplish by using?

Green Dreams
10-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Just wondered how much it would take to benefit microbe activity...

Garden Panzer
10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I quart of molasses to 1000 sq. ft. sounds about right, you don't want draw bees!

Ric
10-26-2004, 11:42 PM
I quart of molasses to 1000 sq. ft. sounds about right, you don't want draw bees!

Green Dreams

Actually a quart per Thousand should be enough to draw Fire Ants in Texas. Then you can sell a Chlordane treatment to kill them off.

dishboy
10-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I found this in old threads, never applied molasses so don't know if the rate is correct.
Originally posted by Gammermann

"gammermann
New Member Join Date: Aug 2000

rate for dry molasses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The going application for liquid molasses is 3 ounes for liquid molasses. Has anyone used dry molasses instead? If so at what rate? I am talking about application for turf. Thanks for for input. George"

Green Dreams
10-27-2004, 07:51 PM
That would be a sweet mix. Draw in the aints and sell them Top Choice...lol

I have heard people talk about sprayable microbes as well. A

Any comments on any that you could tank mix and do some good?

Thanks

PAXLSI
10-27-2004, 10:57 PM
I use Compost to help increase the micro activity in the soil. It also helps with the drainage, moisture holding, and a host of other benifets for the turf. I appliy 1 cubic yard to 4000 sq ft in the fall and double it in the spring.

Neal Wolbert
10-30-2004, 05:44 PM
There are OMRI approved microbes available on the market now. Apply with a backpack during rain or water in. Certainly simpler and cheaper to apply. Neal

Green Dreams
10-30-2004, 06:27 PM
cool...can you point me in the right direction?

Ric
10-31-2004, 12:37 PM
There are OMRI approved microbes available on the market now. Apply with a backpack during rain or water in. Certainly simpler and cheaper to apply. Neal

Neal

Should have read PAXLSI post and saved your money on the sprayable Microbes. Everything is everywhere and the environment selects. Now let me spell that statement out. Populating an area that can't not suport a large population will not increase the population of that area. However by providing a better environment for that live form it will increase it's population. Some Microbes reproduce every hour on the hour.

Neal Wolbert
10-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Ric, Have had repeated evidence of significant thatch reduction by introducing microbes by spray into high thatch environments over the last 10 years. Our new clients with thatch accumulation from the usual stuff like improper fertilization, mowing and watering practices are encouraged to begin a microbial program to get the soil organisms going again. Of course changing improper practices is a given if results are to be expected. The inoculation just jump starts the microbial activity and is a part of a treatment program delivering bio-fertilizer at regular intervals. I certainly agree that microbes begin to proliferate in just a matter of minutes, I think that is obvious, can repopulate quickly given the right conditions, but we have found that inexpensive microbial inoculation can make a significant difference in the break down of organic matter in the thatch layer in a relatively short time without any other mechanical input except proper mowing. Subsequent release of nutrients is evidenced by growth and color responses. And then, like you said, as long as something isn't done to stop microbial activity it surely can be maintained with good management practices. Your thoughts? Neal

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Personally I don't see a good use for molasses in everyday use. If you have a sudden nitrogen imbalance, say from dog pee, then diluted molasses seems to rebalance the carbon and nitrogen and prevent burning.

A Texas panhandle cotton farmer uses molasses as his only amendment. He sprays one gallon per acre (3 ounces per 1,000 square feet) four times per growing season. At the end of the season he mows the picked plants down and leaves them there to mulch the field. He does no tilling. He's working on a program to eliminate artificial watering and has achieved pretty good (profitable) success. I don't think this type of treatment applies to a healthy turf, but other organic gurus swear by molasses. If you want to try it, 3 ounces per gallon sprayed on 1,000 square feet seems to be the agreed upon rate.

Green Dreams
11-05-2004, 11:31 PM
I appreciate the discussion, folks...

dishboy
11-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Personally I don't see a good use for molasses in everyday use. If you have a sudden nitrogen imbalance, say from dog pee, then diluted molasses seems to rebalance the carbon and nitrogen and prevent burning.

A Texas panhandle cotton farmer uses molasses as his only amendment. He sprays one gallon per acre (3 ounces per 1,000 square feet) four times per growing season. At the end of the season he mows the picked plants down and leaves them there to mulch the field. He does no tilling. He's working on a program to eliminate artificial watering and has achieved pretty good (profitable) success. I don't think this type of treatment applies to a healthy turf, but other organic gurus swear by molasses. If you want to try it, 3 ounces per gallon sprayed on 1,000 square feet seems to be the agreed upon rate.

The dilluted rate for urine burns interests me, is the dilluted rate also 3oz per 1000 sq ft and how often? My German Sheppard does a good job of letting every body know where the "peeing zone" is, it would be nice to have a way to battle the brown spots. Also will the Molasses spray through a hose end sprayer?

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-30-2004, 03:37 PM
The dilluted rate for urine burns interests me, is the dilluted rate also 3oz per 1000 sq ft and how often? My German Sheppard does a good job of letting every body know where the "peeing zone" is, it would be nice to have a way to battle the brown spots. Also will the Molasses spray through a hose end sprayer?Easier/cheaper yet, I just throw a handful of table sugar on each spot and water it in. The sooner you get sugar on the spot the faster things return to normal.

upidstay
11-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Compost teas are a good way to add microbes. Brew it up and spray onto your lawns. Just can't use a high pressure sprayer, as it can kill many of the fungi and microbes in the brew

dishboy
11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Easier/cheaper yet, I just throw a handful of table sugar on each spot and water it in. The sooner you get sugar on the spot the faster things return to normal.

Thank you for the useful information.