PDA

View Full Version : Silverado rattle

kemmer
10-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I have a 01 Silverado, and usually when i am towing or even when i am just driving there is a rattle when i accelerate occasionally. Does anyone else have this problem? at first i thought i was something with the muffler but i dont think it is.?

any thoughts?

Avery
10-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Where is it coming from? Can you feel a vibration in the steering wheel?

kppurn
10-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I have an '04 2500 HD and it does the exact same thing. I thought it was the muffler for a while too. I keep telling myself to stop by the dealer, but I have so much going on right now I can't find the time.
Mine even does it when sitting at idle. It's kinda like a surging rattle sound. :confused:
No vibration in the steering wheel. I feel no vibration at all. You can just hear the noise coming from underneath the truck.

scar4027
10-24-2004, 02:00 AM
I have a 95 F-150 that made a similar noise that you are describing. It turned out that one of the fasteners on the heat shield around the catalytic converter had come loose. It was a quick and easy fix. Hopefully yours will be as simple.

kemmer
10-24-2004, 04:33 PM
yea my friend said that he thought it was the catalytic converter. should i go to my dealer? or is it a easy fix?

Eric 1
10-24-2004, 04:55 PM
I have a 95 F-150 that made a similar noise that you are describing. It turned out that one of the fasteners on the heat shield around the catalytic converter had come loose. It was a quick and easy fix. Hopefully yours will be as simple.

Yep, caty converter, our van did it, we cut it out. :cool:

Take it to an exhaust shop you should be fixed in way less than an hour.

DLCS
10-24-2004, 08:41 PM
I know on the late 80's early 90's Ford trucks, the heat shield welds would break on the catylic converter. Simple fix if the truck was out of warranty was to wrap along metal hose clamp around the whole converter and tighten the clamp up.

jim dailey
10-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I have a 01 Silverado, and usually when i am towing or even when i am just driving there is a rattle when i accelerate occasionally. Does anyone else have this problem? at first i thought i was something with the muffler but i dont think it is.?

any thoughts?

GOT A RUBBER HAMMER? When the truck is stone cold...get under and tap along the exhaust system until you hear THAT rattle. IF you DON'T hear it, tap along the driveshaft. Check the driveshaft for play in the u-joints. Got a relative or a friend or a neighbor that is a mechanic? Take them for a ride and/or let them drive it. GO RED SOX !!!

TheGrassGuy
10-25-2004, 04:04 AM
A friend of mine has an '03 - problem was a piece of flex pipe on the exhaust. I don't remember all the details - not sure if the flex pipe was added or replaced. It was covered under warranty for him.

TwinWillowsFarm
10-26-2004, 09:03 AM
My 2003 Silverado has a rattle in the front end which comes from the steering. The dealer said there's a TSB out which involves replacing a part of the steering shaft (I don't remember what part). Apparently its a pretty common failure since the barts are on backorder for something like 60 days & counting.

Eric 1
10-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Snowy, What engine/trans is in your truck.

Eric 1
10-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Never mind, I found the answer.