PDA

View Full Version : handguns

straightlinelawns
10-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know if you can write off a handgun through the business for pretection. I have heard you can write off a 4 wheeler and other odds and ends , but does a handgun qualify?? also maybe the cost of the concealed weapons license could be written off also? :)

HOOLIE
10-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Things must be rough down there in Georgia, up here a baseball bat usually works for me :)

I suppose if you could prove a genuine need to carry a gun it might fly.

Lawnworks
10-25-2004, 06:25 AM
My accountant would not question it. Write it off and just right the purpose on the reciept.

MMLawn
10-25-2004, 02:50 PM
My accountant would not question it. Write it off and just right the purpose on the reciept.

Then you might want to find a more thorough accountant because you would have a very hard time proving the deduction in an audit.

straightlinelawns
10-25-2004, 05:23 PM
thanks for the input! things aren't that bad around georgia, but crime in my area has increased in the past few years, plus i like to shoot for a hobby anyways, thanks

precisioncut
10-25-2004, 07:34 PM
How would your customers feel seeing you with a pistol strapped to your waist? You might as well wear a badge too (maybe a "lawn Badge").

If it is in the truck it would only help you if you are car jacked at a light or something.

Tvov
10-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I really, really doubt it would wash with the IRS. You can "write off" anything you want, as long as you don't get audited.

WildWest
10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
How would your customers feel seeing you with a pistol strapped to your waist? You might as well wear a badge too (maybe a "lawn Badge").

If it is in the truck it would only help you if you are car jacked at a light or something.

LOL, Buy your gun for you, not your business! You write a gun off on your taxes and the IRS will probably put you on their "special" list!
You have a right to defend yourself WHEREVER you are! They have a "in the pants holster" called the "conceal carry" it velcros around your hips and is totally hidden by your pants, your pistol is RIGHT NEXT to your "gun" if ya know what I'm tallking about.... If you get a small pistol NOBODY would EVER know you're packing.

Lawnworks
10-25-2004, 09:17 PM
If I was to buy a gun for protection when cutting foreclosed properties(which is scary at times).... you are saying that the purchase would not be a write off? Would it not be considered a tool?

oneandonlyjojo
10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
u can only carry a handgun if u handle large amounts of cash or like a jeweler who has to carry a briefcase filled. i know thats the case in most states are u planning on keeping at your house or with u at all times lol

Tvov
10-26-2004, 08:27 AM
If I was to buy a gun for protection when cutting foreclosed properties(which is scary at times).... you are saying that the purchase would not be a write off? Would it not be considered a tool?

You are knowingly going to properties, just to mow the lawn , that you consider dangerous enough to need a gun?? Is it really worth it?

tonygreek
10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
jojo, not sure about others, but ohio now has a concealed carry law. pass a background check and you can carry a pistol. bars, banks, schools, hospitals etc. are specific places you cannot and other businesses can set policy by posting a sign in the door.

as an example, all of our HomeDepot's have the sign. hate to see a heated "only one freakin' register is open????" shoot-out.

tony

Up North
10-26-2004, 10:27 AM

I don't think it would be considered a "tool" unless you use it. And if you do use it you may end up in jail.

Buck

MMLawn
10-26-2004, 11:52 AM
u can only carry a handgun if u handle large amounts of cash or like a jeweler who has to carry a briefcase filled. i know thats the case in most states are u planning on keeping at your house or with u at all times lol

Yet another idiotic statement from the lawnsite village idiot! This statement shows just how little you know on the subject! More than 30 States now have Concealed Weapon Carry Laws bozo...I mean jojo :realmad:

oneandonlyjojo
10-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Yet another idiotic statement from the lawnsite village idiot! This statement shows just how little you know on the subject! More than 30 States now have Concealed Weapon Carry Laws bozo...I mean jojo :realmad:

did i say all states deuchbag?

Tvov
10-26-2004, 12:21 PM

My take on that was that he was thinking of being able to claim it as a legitimate business expense, not whether or not it was legal to carry. I don't know for sure, but a jeweler or similar person might be able to claim a handgun as a business expense. Also, he is from NY, which has some draconian gun laws, espcially NYC.

fixer67
10-28-2004, 10:19 PM
All I can say is if I was going to be carrying a firearm of any kind I would thank that the fewer people that knew about it the better. I would not say any thing in public about it and sure would not post it to the world.

Creative Lawn Care
10-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I recently took the concealed weapon class here in NC. They then do a background check and as long as you have a clean record you are issued a concealed carry permit. Does not apply in banks and schools and a few other places. Remember the name is CONCEALED carry. This means the public should not know you have it. I carry mine all the time and to my knowledge noone knows I have it. I cut foreclosed homes which are in varying neighborhoods so I feel better with it. As for the tax write off, I will write off the cost of the class and the permit. I have several guns and dont plan to try and write any of them off. Might work but I do not want to push my luck.

Greybeard
10-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Government types hate guns. Big red flag. Rumor has it that once in a while a fella might get paid in cash for landscaping work. I'd say wait until the cookie jar gets to the right level, then go shopping with cash. Forget the IRS.
There are sites like www.packing.org with good information. Good luck.