PDA

View Full Version : YOU"LL NEVER MAKE IT !!!!!!!

pbillings
10-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Boy ! My family sure knows how to offer support. I've been getting hit with things like, " THERE'S NO MONEY IN LAWN CARE, YOUR STUPID IF YOU QUIT YOUR JOB, YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT, YOUR GONNA FAIL, ETC:" My father keeps telling my wife to talk me out of it. My wife tells him that " He'll do fine, It's what we want to do." I've been getting bombarded with statements like that. It really gets you thinking that, Wow, what if I do fail, then , what am I gonna do. I can't wait till march. I am pumped to start this business. I have been researching like crazy. I've been working on my days off with a friend who has his own lawn biz. He's been coaching me and I've learned alot with him and this website. I know it can be a profitable business. I know how to work hard and talk to people. :dizzy: With all this nonsupport, I keep double guessing myself :cry: . I'm sure everybody out there knows how I'm feeling. I'm not gonna let anybody get in my way and talk me out of this. It's my life. If I screw it up it's my own fault and their will be nobody to blame but me. I WILL MAKE THIS WORK :angry: . I hope whoever reads this thread will give me a little satifaction that I'm not the only one who gets this type of nonsupport :help: .........................................Paul

Green-Pro
10-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Paul,

I can relate to what you are going through in a limited way. I am planning on quitting my job to start this full time spring of '05. I have like you been really "hitting the books", asking questions, and planning so I can start from the most solid foundation I possibly can. I have the support of a great wife, my grandfather (started and ran a molten iorn castings foundry for ovr 50 years), and my in-laws (ran their own business for over 35 years).

Now my father, who just retired from the same company I work for is not at all on board with what I want to do and future expansion plans, i.e. landscape & green house. I get the same from him, stupid if you quit your job, health ins., retirement, blah, blah, blah. He is completely aware that I have these particular things he is concerned about covered but then he just rants about something else like people will write you bad checks, employees will screw you, more blah, blah, blah, you sound like you already know what I mean.

My take on this is if all people had this attitude there would be no businesses getting started, and how the heck will I know how successful I will be in starting this unless I just do it? I am a christian man of strong faith, convictions and belief in my Lord (relax ladies and gentelman this does not mean I'm out to send a bible to each and everyone of you, its way deeper than tha, its personal :) ) My wife and I always pray and seek the divine guidance of the Lord when making a major decision, (planning, researching, and asking questions does not hurt either) I ask myself to seek whats in my heart, does it seem right or wrong? If there is even a sliver of doubt then it very likely is wrong. However this for me is not the case now, the desire to start my own business is an urge, desire, call it what you will that I simply cannot and will not ignore anymore, the desire to succeed is equally as strong for me. Sure I get nervous about the prospectof doing this but scared? not one doggone bit!! I feel that if you have truly searched inside yourself Paul and have the love and support of your wife then you have just raised the chances of your success exponetially.

Leave you with something the CPA told my wife and I when we met with him last week "I really like how you two are on the same page and committed to this togethor, I see couples all the time where one is commited to starting a business and the other is not, one of two things usually happens, they start the business and fail miserably or do not start and the relationship fails." Not sure exactly yet how that fit in,,,,,buuutt it may make me feel better when getting his hour and a half consultation bill ha hah hhah.
Listen to your heart, use your brain, and keep your wife happy.

G-P

Planet Landscaping
10-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Funny, I make waaaaaaaay more than all those people that talked that way when I first started too. :drinkup: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Up North
10-25-2004, 02:52 PM
pbillings,
Just all the more motivation for you to go out and work hard to succeed. Don't let it get you down, $5 says that if you were going to open your own CPA office they'd tell you the same thing. Don't know if this is the case in your situation, but some people get jealous of others that try to start their own business or do things they're scared of attemping themselves. They may be afraid that you could be a success in your own business and they're stuck working for someone else.

But keep this in mind...if the business does not make it, don't put your tail between your legs. Fail or succeed and you'll be a better person because of it. A man named Walt Disney failed in business 6 times before he made it...I think his legacy & empire will live for quite a while.

Good luck! Work hard, do quality work, pay attention to details, and use some common sense and you should do just fine.

Buck

eruuska
10-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Man, I understand what you're going through! I've been looking for a different business to be in, and I (me, personally) had decided to give lawn care a try. Between LawnSite and a couple of Sean Adams publications, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the "how-to" of it all.

Today, though, I mentioned it to my wife what my plans were. I was waiting for "That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in all my life!" But what she said was "Whatever business you want to be in, if it's lawn care, or garbage man, I'll support you one hundred percent."

I have to say that it just about brought a tear to my eye. I am so thankful that God led me to this woman! So now that I'm "out of the closet" so to speak, I can start doing my thinking out loud.

The rest of my family: well, I love them a bunch, and they feel the same about me, but I'm not mentioning anything to them for a while. I don't need any naysayers.

Thanks, guys, for making LawnSite a very welcome home for all us wannabees!

Eric

HOOLIE
10-26-2004, 12:34 AM
I think a lot of the naysayers are a little jealous of you for having the courage to take a risk. Most people dream of something better for themselves, but don't have the guts to make a move. There's always something holding them back. Then when they see someone else taking a risk, they try to talk them out of it, for fear that they will succeed and in the process reinforce their own insecurities and failures.

You will never know unless you try, and even if you fail, you will have succeeded by trying.

pfifla1
10-26-2004, 12:43 AM
i had the same problem when i started my business at 17, asked my dad for a loan, he told me he wouldnt loan me the money, so i took what little money i had from my job over summer and started, everyone said i'd fail, and all i can say is, it has been my best investment, and i have managed to pay my way through college with no loans, flexible schedule and hard work... all i can say is if you have the drive you can do anything, and yes, there is ALOT of money in landscaping, they just dont know what they are talking about.

meathead1134
10-26-2004, 09:51 AM
I've lucked out also, this being my first year part time. I have all the confidence from my parents. I have support from my wife and the inlaws. A matter of fact. My farther in law asked if he could work for me when he retires in 5 five years I said of course. I plan on having 3 sanders with plows in the future. I'll have to get my license but he already has one. I've started small and I'm still small. This place is a wealth of knowledge if you don't act like a jack@ss people will help you out. I can't wait for the day that I go full time and tell corporate America to FO.

meathead1134
10-26-2004, 09:56 AM
I forgot to add set your self some goals for the year and a higher goal. I set some goals and achieved every single one. People are always going to look down on you and second guess. Have the strong will to work hard and do you best more matter if it's a $30.00 or a $100.00 job work hard and it will eventually pay off.

crawdad
10-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Boy ! My family sure knows how to offer support. I've been getting hit with things like, " THERE'S NO MONEY IN LAWN CARE, YOUR STUPID IF YOU QUIT YOUR JOB, YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT, YOUR GONNA FAIL, ETC:" ......... I WILL MAKE THIS WORK :angry: . I hope whoever reads this thread will give me a little satifaction that I'm not the only one who gets this type of nonsupport :help: .........................................Paul
Most of us heard that same thing at first, it took a few years of, "You still don't have a regular job?" from my mother before it sunk in that I am self-employed, not unemployed. When would I have time for a "job" while running a business?
Run into an old co-worker a while ago, "Are you still mowing lawns on the side?" On the side of what, I asked? No, I've been doing it full time for a few years now.
I don't know if you can do it or not, but I'll tell you the same thing the man told us when we asked if we could build our own log home, "You can do it if you can." Go for it, you'll never know if you don't try.
Crawdad

pbillings
10-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanx, Green Pro........My heart tells me to do it. But all the negativity kind of slows my will down. But I'm not letting that get through. One great thing that I have to fall back on in a way is my wife has a great job. She is a chemist. She has the best of benifits and life ins. on me and the kids. Anyway, The biz will go on as planned. No one is going to stop me...........................................Thanx for the great thread...........
Paul

PLM-1
10-26-2004, 11:07 AM
I get everything too. That's a business how do make money? where else do you work? Then they come to my house and see everything that i have worked for and then walk into my garage and see my cars and then they are like "I need to start mowing lawns."

pbillings
10-26-2004, 11:16 AM
My Father retired from the St Louis City Police Dept. after 40 years of excellent service. He is a proud poppa seeing me follow in his footsteps as a Police officer also. The dept. I work for has no incentives to stay there. I have not had a raise in almost 2 years, because of a corrupt regime. I see the other officers there act like they are numb to anything that is going on. There is no proactive Police work anymore. Everybody just shows up and answers calls. Where I work is a high crime city. We don't care anymore. Everybody complains, but doesn't do anything about it. Me, on the other hand are going to do something about it. I have always wanted to start a lawn biz, but didn't think I could do it. My job now did give me one great incentive. To get the hell outta there and start the lawn biz. I'm not gonna end up like my coworkers.

Green-Pro
10-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Paul,

You know you have got what it takes you obviously feel as passionate as I do about "building" something on your own, something positive, keep thinking that way and just as I am sure it will happen for me it will for you also.

Hoolie, Up North and others bring up an unfortunate but true point, it takes a special type of person to be willing to leap off that cliff into the unknown of sel-employment. I say special because as the others have so very appropriately put it others have this dream they simply don't have enough desire and confidence to leave that saftey net of a steady job to do this. This leads them I believe to feel bitter about those that do.

One more point about folks not having the gumption to take on the challenge of self-employment, when you stat to enjoy some success those same people will then turn their focus on the "you are rich" theme again out of jealousy(seen it happen time and again with family & friends successful in self-employment), not all are rich they merely spend their money differently and are usually a bit wiser with it.

Anyhow best of luck to you and I look forward to sharing many more posts on other threads with you.

p.s. raining like heck here and I'm bored :D

G-P

Lawnmower_Man
10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
With god anything is possible!
Words to think about:
Faith
hope
desire

"have faith and god will never let you down."
Lawnmower Man payup

i_plant_art
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
you know i think that all of us seem to have of heard this at some point and time in our beginnings. i had some of the same things said to me when i started EVERYONE around me told me that i would never make it. Landscaping has always been my dream and no one is gonna stop me. Here i am 2 years later, college drop out, married and have a 17 week old daughter and have already grossed $100,000 this year. The best advice i can give you is to keep your head up and clear. Dont let anyone else sued your opinoins. always do the right thing and do your customers right, dont take advantage of them, and keep a good repor with all of your vendors and contractors around you.

HOOLIE
10-26-2004, 11:15 PM
The naysayers and doubting Thomas', they never really go away. They just change their tune to suit your current status. This is my third year solo, and I always get the (from friends, not family) "When are you gonna get serious and hire some Mexicans?"

First they doubted me, now they're insinuating that I can't really be making any money doing this by myself. Its like you're not REALLY a business owner unless you spend all day at the golf course. I think people are genuinely shocked, maybe even appalled, that I LIKE doing this kind of work. "BUT YOU CAN'T BE PUSHING A MOWER WHEN YOU'RE 50!"

Why not? I'm in much better shape than all my computer friends, with their pale, pastey-white complexions, they're all 50 pounds overweight, they can't cut their own yard without taking 3 breaks.

Besides, 50 is still quite a ways off for me.

pbillings
10-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanx again everybody......I was looking one day on google to find anything about the lawncare business. I came across this website. since then, I have been here everyday. Reading everything I could find. I have never been on a website of this type of importance. I have learned alot. Everybody is sooooo nice and more than willing to help. Thanx again....

SCAG POWER
10-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I can relate too what the above post have talked about.You and you alone can decide in which direction you will go.For me coming out of one sales position selling office equipment copiers which is a hard sell item.It was not very different i just went out and kept on calling on people and asking them about their yards, and at the 90 day mark we started to bring on customers to mow.

This arena requires you to virtually do it all from get the business in to produce the business and lest not forget to wear so many hats the you can lose your self in the process if you allow your self to become side tracked.

mtdman
10-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I think a lot of the naysayers are a little jealous of you for having the courage to take a risk. Most people dream of something better for themselves, but don't have the guts to make a move. There's always something holding them back. Then when they see someone else taking a risk, they try to talk them out of it, for fear that they will succeed and in the process reinforce their own insecurities and failures.

I think that not only are people jealous of people who start their own businesses, but they are too cowardly to start on their own. People think that you have to have a job, where someone else pays you, provides benefits for you, and basically controls your future and life. For some reason they can't fathom the idea that you can go out on your own, make your own money, provide for yourself. Maybe the idea is too scarey for them, maybe they can't imagine having to do all that it entails. But all I know is, I can't for the life of me imagine leaving my future up to someone else. Depending on someone else for my paycheck, knowing that at any time they could pull the plug on me. I can't understand being someone else's *****, for low pay, and no job security, doing something I don't even like. I do what I love, I'm outdoors all day, and I'm successful. That absolutely kills people who are too cowardly and jealous to even try it on their own.

Personally, I don't like being told what to do by a boss. I never liked working for others, being told what I had to do, being treated like a baby, etc. Working for myself is so much more preferrable to me. And I think you have to have that trait in order to do this. You gotta want to be your boss, want to be the man in control, want the responsibility. I had a partner for 7 years that didn't want that. He never wanted to do the extra stuff required of a business owner, just wanted to work 9 to 5 and be done with the day. As soon as he was outta the business, he went to work for someone else and couldn't be happier. Me, I have always been willing to do what's necessary to make the business work.

It kills me when people ask me why I don't go get a job. Go work for someone else and get benefits, a regular paycheck. Lawn care isn't stable, isn't regular or dependable. I ask them, how can you work for someone else and put your paycheck, your future in their hands? At any time you can be let go and be out on your butt. You depend on them for your living. I depend on myself. I know that as long as I work hard and do the right thing in my business, I will have a paycheck. I don't have to worry about being let go or fired. If I lose a customer, the responsibility is on me to replace that work. If you get fired, you are at the mercy of the job market to get employed again.

The problem I have is, even though I provide for my family and myself, my wife still isn't so hot on the whole thing. She's been with me the last 7 years, and even though I've become more and more successful, made more and more money, she's still one of the many that ask me when I'm going to get a new job. She's got a cousin that's a teacher who teams up with her to get me to be a teacher all the time. Problem is, her cousin doesn't make enough $$ to afford anything more than a crappy trailer and a 10 year old car.

When I was taking classes at the community college the last few years, I had to make a resume and put it on the college job board as part of a class. A few weeks ago, I got a call from a computer it company from that resume. My wife was all excited and kept pushing me to call them back. So I called, talked to the guy. Went to speak to him in person. And turned him down. Why? The job he wanted me for payed about half what I make in a year. When my wife went bongo about me turning him down, I told her I could accept it, but we would have to move to an apartment and sell her car to afford it. That shut her up real quick.

Honestly, that stuff doesn't really bother me any more. Obviously I am successful, and doing what I want to do. Why on earth would I want to do anything else?

N.H.BOY
10-30-2004, 10:00 PM
go for it all the way man .Do'nt be scared.

ALarsh
10-30-2004, 11:10 PM
go for it all the way man .Do'nt be scared.
Why do you think he is scared? He is just receiving a negative vibe from relatives.

My family is in a neutral state. They haven't discouraged me nor encouraged me. I think they think there is no money in lawn care, like most of you have stated.

mikefeliciano
10-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey Paul,
I went out on my own here recently (last 2 seasons) left a job making great money, leaving work at work, blah blah blah. We have all been there in one respect or another. I got the same stuff from my friends, family, etc. I think there might be a handbook out there given out to people on how to criticize entrepenuers (sorry for spelling) Bottom line everyone on here who is on there own being there own boss, is just that an Entrepeneur!!! What comes along with that is all the nay sayers!!! It may be jealousy or something else. My take on it is there lack of not understanding that owning your own business is a calling, not everyone is made for it, alot of us are not born thinking when we are twelve that we are going to be Self-Employeed. This in itself freaks people out.

Bottom line: PROVE THEM WRONG!!!! there is alot more to the money aspect, when you can say, for the most part, that you LOVE what you do, good or bad. that means so much more. And when your "baby" is standing there on its own 2 feet and you can look and say hey I BUILT THAT FROM NOTHING that means more than anything!!!.

Keep your head up buddy and hang in there. There's gonna be tough times with the good but its worth it!!!

Mike

AL Inc
10-31-2004, 02:49 PM
Paul- You're right, most of us didn't have a lot of support when starting out. If it is your dream, I say go for it. People said some of the same things to me when I was starting out, and I am now finishing my 10th season. I was determined to succeed and did as much research and asked as many questions as I could. You are fortunate to have a great resource here to learn from many very knowledgeable people (there was no Lawnsite when I started!) I had a great quote on my desk when I was starting out, I'm not sure who said it or where I found it, but it was along the lines of "Persistance and determination are omnipotent" That always kept me motivated. Stick with it and you will succeed. Good luck!

rookiemower
10-31-2004, 10:10 PM
i guess i was lucky when i started last year i had a pretty good amount of support from my family and friends, some of my friends where like "where are you gonna get custmers?" well it worked out i had 22 this summer (Im only part time, Full time student in college, i also have another job) A funny thing that happened was when i was talking to my neighbor. He is older than me (im 21, he's about 25) he asked how my biz was and i said good, he then asked me if i wanted to do this for a living. I told him straight out "I'll never work for anyone but myself", well his dad was sitting there and he was shocked by that, he said don't you worry about insurance and job stability, i said no, you could just as easily be thrown to the curb on your azz at the job you got now. I guess some people where never meant to be entreprenuers, some where meant to be the slaves of corporate america. I come from a family of extremely successful entreprenuers and this is where i get my drive from. Everyone of my dads brothers owns there own business and all are very well off. my grandfather helped most of them get started because he owns a large business, which my dad and his other brother now run. i guess this is where the drive i have to succeed comes from :waving:

Rustic Goat
11-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Does not matter what the negative advice givers say, unless they know you a lot better than you'd like to admit.

It's entirely up to you about how successful you'll be.
Before you 'jump' though, make certain you've done an honest assessment of your financial situation and the area you'll be working in.
Also ask yourself a do or die question- Do you have what it takes to make it in the Green Industry?

As for your wife that sounds very supportive, don't ever forget that support she's giving.

David527
11-01-2004, 03:04 AM
Do the penciling and advertise using digital camera photo flyers/price(estim.) of your work in gocery store bulletin boards etc., DO GOOD WORK, talk to God and keep your wife's confidence in you, be good to your clients, follow your heart.........= SUCCESS!

I see you're 40. I'm 50. I live in Branson, MO area. I have 12 acres I mow in my Mobile Home Park. I just bought a 2002 Hustler Z 23/60 for $3800. and I thought I will have to do a little outside mowing to justify the purchase.....maybe find some lawns of people in my church?...........GOOD LUCK! David527

Gautreaux's LNG
11-01-2004, 12:42 PM
I quit a $60,000.00 / yr job with 4 weeks or vacation, 401K to cut grass????? what an idoit! Well after 5 yrs, I just sold me lawn care business for quite a good bit of money. On April 1st I opened and lawn and garden store. I'm now a Scag, Hustler, RedMax and Husqvarna dealer! Business has been great! This town needed this bad!

Remember this business is very competetive and it never quits! Being your own boss is awesome though!

Don't get your accounts because you're the cheapest in town! Sale your quality not your price!

contracts, contracts, contracts!

pbillings
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Hello everybody! I appreciate the new threads. I get pumped up when I see most people were where i am at now. I have not stopped. I have been researching and researching. The money is being jammed away in my account. I have great ideas for flyers and postcards. Ive found alot of areas which I'm going to focus on ( in the same area ). Again, keep the threads coming. They help me alot and I'm sure they help other newbies who read this thread.............................Paul
P.S. I don't want to be prejudice, But, Mexicans have the monopoly in this area. It's gonna be tough outbidding them...

HOOLIE
11-01-2004, 06:16 PM
pbillings-

Forgot to mention this earlier, I guess I'm in the minority since I quit my job and started this full-time right off the bat. Tuesday, March 12, 2002, was the big day I dropped the bomb on my boss. Told him we needed to talk, I think he thought I was hitting up for a raise by the look on his face.

That first year was rough, but I never looked back. No regrets, even when it rains 4 days out of the week.

Oh yeah, as for Mexicans, I got several customers early on just because I spoke English.

pbillings
11-01-2004, 07:54 PM
pbillings-

Forgot to mention this earlier, I guess I'm in the minority since I quit my job and started this full-time right off the bat. Tuesday, March 12, 2002, was the big day I dropped the bomb on my boss. Told him we needed to talk, I think he thought I was hitting up for a raise by the look on his face.

That first year was rough, but I never looked back. No regrets, even when it rains 4 days out of the week.

Oh yeah, as for Mexicans, I got several customers early on just because I spoke English.
How u doin HOOLIE ? Nice to chat with you again. The Mexicans. We have a company that was the first LCO in our area. It has become a huge company. Most of his employees are illegal mexicans. This company has accounts in the rich areas of St. Louis. I don't understand why these people would allow someone on their property who might steal. I know if I were a homeowner that had Lco do my lawn, I would be very peticular about who was on my property. I think I might have to use that in my sales pitch ( in a nice way ) when I start talking with potential customers. This guy who owns this company, houses them on his property..Don't get me wrong, they do good work. I just have a problem with illegal immigrants. If you want to pay your dues like the rest of us, well, I'm all for you.. But please, SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!
Paul

HOOLIE
11-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Hey Paul,

I'm doin' alright, don't care for the leaves much, but you gotta take care of 'em too. In this area, the majority of solo operators are Americans, but 98-99% of laborers are Hispanic. I couldn't speculate on what percentage are legal or not. My old boss only hired guys that were legal, although we did catch a couple with fake green cards.

My neighbor hired an LCO to do leaf removal (we both decided it would be better not to mix friendship w/ business). He was showing me their contract, on the back it said "all employees are properly trained" and made some reference to them all being legal. BUT... I see this LCO every single day stopping at this 7-11 and picking up day laborers. I'm sure they're properly trained, of course...LOL

grassredneck
11-21-2004, 09:06 PM
"Never,never,never,never quit"-W. Churchill- Harvard Commencement address

People are often threatened by what "might have been" in their own lives and you taking this chance just reminds them of it. Unless it's a person who owns a successful business themself; I'd take the advice with a grain of salt. I must agree with my fellow professionals here that having the old lady back you up goes a long way as well

Jamxray
11-22-2004, 06:04 PM
People have tried to tell me all my life that I would never amount to a hill of beans, but guess what. I've been through about 175 'Jobs' in 20 years working to make money for other people. Last year I was with out a job, and flat broke. In April, I found an old beat up 20" clunker, that needed an air filter, (from visual inspection), so I took the $20 I had to my name, and bought a new spark plug, and air filter. (Had to buy the housing too). I pulled a few times and it sounded like it wanted to start. I had to pull the cord for about 30 minutes for each lawn. I've only got 2 mowing seasons behind me, but now I have 25 regular lawn customers that also pay me for fall clean up, and snow removal. I still don't have money to invest in bigger equipment, but I have 2 fairly new self proplelled 22" mowers, and most times they start on the first pull. They say build it and they will come, but I started with bad credit, and $20. I am not able to afford insurance, (other than for the car), but I'm looking to increase my income by at least 25% every year. Most would say I don't have a business, because I don't have a truck, and all the fancy equipment, but last year starting with what I had, I was able to generate about 18K. This year I've almost doubled if not more. Is there money in landscaping/lawn care? Absolutely! (and I started with practically nothing). In early spring people are starting to think about mowing the grass, in my opinion, this is the best time to do a little walking, and pass out some flyers. I may not have all the equipment, but I can provide the service.
As a christian, this is my way of serving God, and the pay is out of this world! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't, if they try, tell them to "hide and watch", then show them you can.
I'm so glad that I found that old clunker, I'll never punch a time clock, out of neccessity again. Gas for a 96 Neon, and a 6' home built trailer, costs about 1/3 of what it costs for a truck, and and 12' trailer. My 22" Murray doesn't use as much gas as a huge lawn mower, but it gets the job done. If I have help, the lawn gets cut on about 15-20 minutes. (I'm focusing on residential homes). Overall if I do 2 lawns in an hour, with help, I make roughly $25 - $30 per hour. 80 lawns a week, for me would be very lucrative even with help. As far as education, the info is free if you know where to look.
Plans? my only plan is to make a living doing what I love to do. My goal is to make a buck, providing a very useful service to my neighbors. Most customers use other services that I offer, because I do a good job taking care of their lawn. I do have plans for expansion, but for now, I do what I have to do, with what I've got. Marketing, I can't afford to pay someone to do it, so I do it myself, and get referals from my customers (the best advertising is satisfied customers). If I can start from nothing, and get to where I am, so can you! Don't listen to naysayers!

wayne volz
11-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes there is money to made in this industry if it is approached properly.

You may want to visit Scott's Power Equipment in your area. Scott is a great guy and they have several locations in your area. Scott and his team will definately get you started in the right direction.

Good luck

It is far worse to fail to try then it is to try and fail

SSmith
11-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately the negative attitude most have to ventures such as owning your own business are ideas that are supplanted in the minds of children from the first day they enter the public school system. From an early age children are identified, labled, and shown the path that best suits the "perception" of their ability or lack there of.....Standardized testing and government programs direct children to a path of employment, not enjoyment. We are taught by friends and family to make sure you get good grades and go to college....Now some of this advice is good, but more often than not individuality and "thinking outside of the box" is discouraged if not completely shunned. The small % of the people that had the vision to see beyond this are the people that made this country great.

I wanna share a small story to go along with this theme......

I hve a friend who has a first grader and for a project at school that had a "career day." The children were asked what they wanted to be when they grow up and they had to give a little mini report about it. When his son was asked what he wanted to do his project on the boy replied that he wanted to be a business owner. The child was told that it "wasn't a real job" and if he insiste don that subject that he would fail the project. Keep in mind that this is a FIRST GRADER. He was told to pick a "real job" such as a Policman or a Fireman....etc.....

Think about that and you'll realize the mentality of society today...

Don't let anyone tell you something can't be done.

pinson
11-29-2004, 12:23 AM
I was a police officer for 15 years. I enjoyed the job for the most part. I started a landscaping business (part-time)about seven years ago while still employed by the police department. The reason I started the company was for some extra money and because I enjoyed that kind of work. As the company grew I enjoyed it more and more until it got to the point where I decided to go full time in the landscaping business. When I talked it over with my wife she said she was for it. I would be my own boss, work my own hours (no more shift work), and get to spend more time with the family. Several co-workers said I was crazy, but several said they wish they could do the same. When I retired from the department I held the rank of sgt. and grossing around $40,000 a year with benifits. I now work Monday - Friday (most weeks) 7:00 to 4:00, having fun doing what I like to do. It doesn't hurt that as my first year full time my gross is $65,000. If you do an honest job, treat your clients fair, and treat each job as if it were your own yard you will probably do fine. Word of mouth will be the only advertisement you will need and have more work than you can do.

pgiambat
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
pbillings,
I've been cutting for 6 years for extra $$, my wife stays home and the kids like to eat. I just run a 36" belt drive walk behind out of the back of my truck with ramps. 2004 was the 3rd season with this set up and I now make about 80% - 90% of my day job (Software Engineer).

All I do every spring is run a $6 a week ad for April and May that gets me a few new customers each year plus I keep all my customers from last year, I turn away new accounts by the end of May every year. I'm putting hardly anything into this and it is doing the job well for me.

You could always cut/landscape from 7:00 till when ever and go throw boxes for UPS at night if you had to. If there is no extra time for a second job after mowing and landscaping... that means you are working a lot and should be making good $$. I average $1/minute when I have machines running.

If I can do it, You can do it!

lpwhandyman
12-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Boy does this thread bring back some memories. I remember being in your shoes, except the part of having a wife making good money. And to top it off, I wasn't going to venture out into lawncare, I was going to pressure wash. "Pressure Wash"? they said. It wasn't like lawn care, where their were plenty of companies that you knew were making money doing that. It was something that nobody else in my area was doing which made it worse they thought. My brother (always the vocal one of the family) actually laughed at me. You're gonna wash peoples houses and decks? A long story made short, it pissed me off and made me work even harder. Ten years later and still going stronger and even expanding, now including lawn care and snow removal. The one thing I asked myself and you should to, If you decided not to go out on your own, wouldn't you always wonder how you would have done? "Better to fail, then never have tried". Make a plan, discuss it, set goals and work to achieve them. Go for it. ps: I agree that the negative comments come from the jealous people. That's been my experience anyhow. Good luck

Avery
12-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Yea they are right...there is no money in this business. :rolleyes:

Avery
12-03-2004, 02:55 PM
None at all....... ;)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=89880

ALarsh
12-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Avery, How many accounts/landscape installs and crews do you run? VERY NICE!!!

Avery
12-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Well we are dropping all the maintenance accounts this coming year. Too busy doing installs. Key is to find several builders and do their work on new construction. Most neighborhoods in my area have minimum landscape requirements so we stay very busy with installs. This past year I had three crews. One for maintenance and two for installs. This coming year I will have three for installs.

yrdandgardenhandyman
12-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Yea they are right...there is no money in this business. :rolleyes:

And plenty of time to play.
:blob3: