PDA

View Full Version : is this a realistic goal?

lottlawncare
10-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Is this a realistic goal for next year? I just want some extra cash, I work nights. I plan on buying 2 cheap home depot trimmers, 2 home depot push mowers, and i have a backpack blower. I'm not worried about advertising (I got it covered). But I want to get 20 houses (small lots), weekly, and make an average of $25 per yard, so $500 a week. I plan to mow 5 yards a day, 4 days a week. I think I can start my first yard at 8:30 and be home by 2 in the afternoon. Can this be done, or are there some other factors that I'm unaware of? Another concern is this: can i get/keep customers without having to present some big company image? I just want to come across as a college guy trying to make some cash. I'm gonna use low grade equipment (i don't see the point in buying huge expensive mowers) and I don't want signs and big trailers and all of that stuff. How many of you guys are small scale like that?
Thanks
Sorry I'm scatterbrained :)

Up North
10-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Is this a realistic goal for next year? I just want some extra cash, I work nights. I plan on buying 2 cheap home depot trimmers, 2 home depot push mowers, and i have a backpack blower. I'm not worried about advertising (I got it covered). But I want to get 20 houses (small lots), weekly, and make an average of $25 per yard, so $500 a week. I plan to mow 5 yards a day, 4 days a week. I think I can start my first yard at 8:30 and be home by 2 in the afternoon. Can this be done, or are there some other factors that I'm unaware of? Another concern is this: can i get/keep customers without having to present some big company image? I just want to come across as a college guy trying to make some cash. I'm gonna use low grade equipment (i don't see the point in buying huge expensive mowers) and I don't want signs and big trailers and all of that stuff. How many of you guys are small scale like that?
Thanks
Sorry I'm scatterbrained :)

lottlawncare,
Well I think you'll find out rather soon that what you are describing is the type of business that gets pretty beat up by other LCO's in the business. What I mean is, if you don't plan on having insurance, paying taxes, and being a legit business someone may blow the whistle on you and deservedly so. Now if you are going to have insurance, pay taxes, be a legit business then yeah, I'd say you could meet your goals. Keep in mind that that $500 a week will shrink with taxes, insurance costs, equipment needs, repairs, etc. So you may have to plan on doing 30-40 houses a week, then throw in a rainy day or two and what will that do to your schedule? Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but there a number of things you'll need to think about before entering the business.

We just completed our first year in the business so I know where you're coming from. So hopefully you do things the right way and if so good luck, hope it works out for you.

Buck

oneandonlyjojo
10-25-2004, 04:21 PM
i would say if u are making just side money and not doing it for life dont become legit but god forbid u screw sumtin up bad u will get raped. ive never heard of anyone getting caught so its all up to. if u become legit u will make a little less due to all the taxes and such. but overhead wont be that high since u are solo