PDA

View Full Version : New the the Business! Help me!

Green Perfection
10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I want to start up my own Lawn Care Maintance Business this spring. Can anyone give me advise? Should I keep my current job making $45k year with health insurance and do this on the side? Or just jump right in and build it up fast? Help me please. What is a good starting price point for average size lawns to charge clients? I will be purchasing all of the programs Lawnsite.com has to offer. But need real the dirty scoop, pro's and con's ???
Thanks!

The LawnSmith
10-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Green,

Depends on what you expect out of your first year. I started last year buying equipment, liscence, etc, and I'm a part timer. There is without a doubt some great opportunities to make money in this arena. I recommend that you test the water first, by going part time and reading everything you can from the old timers on the tricks of the trade on websites like this one. I would love to go full time next year, if I can manage to get all the equipment needed to compete with the big guys and make the profit margin I would like. My only advice as a one year newbie, would be to buy the best grade equipment you can to save time and sweat and give the customer the best service that you can. If you do that, word of mouth advertising will do the rest. I have learned a lot off of the advice given here and attempt to apply it as often as I can. LawnSite is a user friendly atmosphere and you won't see the sarcasm associated with the less professional sites on the web.

Good Luck!!!

Mike

jajwrigh
10-25-2004, 10:29 PM
The answer to your first question is YES! Please don't give up any benefits or consistent income without testing the waters first!! Try the business out for a year or two part time and see what you think. Remember the saying that you shouldn't put all of your eggs in one basket!