PDA

View Full Version : pruning a sego palm

coolfrog
10-25-2004, 07:16 PM
I'v been in business for some time now and have never come across a sego quite like this one. It stands about 6' foot tall and has like 3 or 4 more as babies comming off of the main palm, now my question is should i trim them as one palm or do i trim them as each individual palm. please reply thanks.
mike DBA C&M Lawncare
Jacksonville Florida

elijahjames
10-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I have always treated and pruned as individual plants if they have seperate trunks. Never seen a Sago as big as what you are describing. Plenty of Pygmy plams, but no Sago.

ElephantNest
10-25-2004, 10:29 PM
It is most likely a king sago, or cycas revoluta. The growths are new plants, and need to be "popped" off with a shovel, if you mean little bulbs coming from the bottom with small frawns of their own. Take them, and plant them, and in one year you'll have little $10.00-20.00 plants for sale, two years and $40.00-50.00 plants, and so on.

See the little growths on the bottom of the plant in this picture? Is that what you mean? Or are you refering to the multiple heads like shown on top of the plant? If so, either trim them to simply look good together, or keep the middle one only and lose the rest. If given the room, a center growth will droop over hiding the other bare trunks.

http://www.texasriviera.com/greenthumbs/cycadnew.jpg