PDA

View Full Version : What Am I in for?

cypresslawncare
10-26-2004, 02:11 AM
I've decided to start doing lawns this coming year. I plan to put out door hangers for a good 100 hours in mid-February. Besides basic mowing, what else do I need to know how to do for an average account? I'm not very knowlegeable about lawncare. Where do I find out how to do these extra things (if any)? I need some extra money and figured I can make more doing lawns than at a dayjob. Two other questions I have are what do ya'll put in your "contracts" and how do I get licensed/what does the license cost (I'm in Texas)? Please pardon my rookiness.

cypresslawncare
10-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Here let me make this question shorter. What else do you do througout the year besides just mow lawns.
Thanks

LHSlawnman86
10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
my advice to you is to not do contracts in your first year. start off slow and see what you can do. definitly get a liscense and in some states you should get a peddlers permit so you can advertise as much as you want worry free.

gogetter
10-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Here let me make this question shorter. What else do you do througout the year besides just mow lawns.
Thanks

Install mulch, trim hedges, aerating, overseeding, spring/fall clean ups, etc.
These are most of the things that I do, others here offer more services that I'll let them list.

JustMowIt
10-26-2004, 02:11 PM
I've decided to start doing lawns this coming year. I plan to put out door hangers for a good 100 hours in mid-February. Besides basic mowing, what else do I need to know how to do for an average account? I'm not very knowlegeable about lawncare. Where do I find out how to do these extra things (if any)? I need some extra money and figured I can make more doing lawns than at a dayjob. Two other questions I have are what do ya'll put in your "contracts" and how do I get licensed/what does the license cost (I'm in Texas)? Please pardon my rookiness.

We are in the Dallas market & no license is required, unless you are installing irrigation or spraying. Some Cities have ordnances that require registration to put out flyers, but generally, do not put one where there is a no solicitation sign. I would suggest Just Mowing to keep it simple. Start flyers in Mid to late February, & be sure to answer the phone, not wait a day or so to return a VM only to learn someone else got the business. Be aware that Houston is a major dumping spot for the coyotes that are paid to bring in the Mexicans. We have compared wages with other Lawn companies & labor is cheaper in Houston, & there are more solo Mexican operators than normal mowing for $20.

Hope this helps
MJ
Justmowing.com (http://www.justmowing.com)

cypresslawncare
10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
good reply. thanks man!

MMLawn
10-27-2004, 05:14 PM
I've decided to start doing lawns this coming year. I'm not very knowlegeable about lawncare.

Actually you really need to go to work for someone else for at least a year and get some experience. While it ain't rocket science it does take product knowledge.

cypresslawncare
10-27-2004, 07:00 PM
no way, down here if i did that i'd be working for minimum wage with a crew of illegals! i'll just learn on a trial/error basis.

oneandonlyjojo
10-27-2004, 08:52 PM
no way, down here if i did that i'd be working for minimum wage with a crew of illegals! i'll just learn on a trial/error basis.

some people dont like trial and error practice on your lawn and maybe relatives if they let u. since they will be hiring u for the first time they will be very picky to make sure u do a good job. stick to the site and ask anything you want and it will be answered.