PDA

View Full Version : 36 " mowers vs. 21"

cypresslawncare
10-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Another question. Is a 36 " really that much faster on a small lot? Also, I'm about as mechanically inclined as my grandma. Will I have problems keeping a big piece of machinery like that running? How much upkeep/maintenance is involved in the bigger mowers.
Thanks

ChadA
10-26-2004, 02:37 AM
I don't know about the maintance but Im sure there faster. even on a small yard. Im using a 22" push mower right know on about 15 accounts. I demoed a lesco 36" walk behind and I loved it. It will cut around 30-35% faster than my push mower.

Rustic Goat
10-26-2004, 02:45 AM
This is just my opinion-
21" mowers are for home owners and/or commercially used as trim mowers.
Yes, I know there are LCO's out there that have a flock of 21" mowers and operators for each one.
To be used strictly as your main mower is such a waste of time.

Like I said, just my opinion.

ElephantNest
10-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Holy.......RUSTIC GOAT? Wow man, where ya been? Thought you fell off the face of the earth! Great to see you around!

36" will MORE than double the production over a 21" any day, and all day. Wider cut, MUCH faster, less fatigue, the list goes on. 21", like mentioned, are for homeowners or for trim mowers.

If a 36" will fit in most of your lots, go for it. If not, try a 32". Both will be like night and day over a 21". GET A SULKY FOR IT!

pilotcoplawnboy
10-26-2004, 10:19 AM
I had a 36" Lescoe that I used for a while because I wasn't cutting that many yards. Deceided that I didn't need it because I wasn't planning on expanding because this was a side job for me. Sold the Lescoe and got a 21" from my father that he wasn't using for his business. Used it for a while and then decided that I wanted to cut more yards because it was easy money. Luckily I got more clients than I could keep up with on the 21". Bought me a used 36" Toro Proline for One Grand, and man what a difference. It is like night and day. What used to take me a few hours to cut three yards only takes about one and a half now. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dishboy
10-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Another question. Is a 36 " really that much faster on a small lot? Also, I'm about as mechanically inclined as my grandma. Will I have problems keeping a big piece of machinery like that running? How much upkeep/maintenance is involved in the bigger mowers.
Thanks

If your lot is small, 3k or less you can compete if you have a 21 that has some ground speed, but you have to be fast, and able to withstand the abuse to your feet. The more uneven or broken up the 3k is the better the 21 will be time wise in comparison. This is based on my experiance, not everyone will have the same results .

cypresslawncare
10-26-2004, 04:45 PM
i guess i should have been more specific, my average front yard is about 1200-1500 sq. ft. my avgerage backyard is about 1500-2500 sq ft, most on the lower end of those numbers.

Mo Green
10-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks

A 36" is approximately 70% larger than a 21", which means completing you cutting much faster. It should be easier to keep running because 36" commercial mowers are built to withstand the abuse of commercial lawn care, where as most homeowner 21" mowers are not. And with the added advantage of the sulky, the 36" can save your feet from the abuse of walking behind the 21".

cypresslawncare
10-27-2004, 01:18 AM
how much extra time, if any, does it take to go back and cut the grass that you couldn't get to with the 36"? And how do you get that, with a trimmer or do you pull out a 21" to get it?

Rustic Goat
10-27-2004, 01:28 AM
how much extra time, if any, does it take to go back and cut the grass that you couldn't get to with the 36"? And how do you get that, with a trimmer or do you pull out a 21" to get it?

How much time depends on how the property is laid out, how many areas can't you get to with a larger mower, etc.

Use a string trimmer or a 21" mower, yes, or actually either and/or both, whatever works best for you and works best for the property.
If there is quite a bit of trimming to be done, it may be easiest to use the 21" then go back with a string trimmer. This may not really save much time, but you may find it less physically demanding on yourself.

I'm surprised you have such small lawns in the Houston area, lawns up here (Shreveport) average 10K for front and rear, and many quite a bit larger than that.
The lots you're describing, are they in a particular subdivision or condos maybe, we have some new developments here that are called 'zero lots'= individual houses, but no area left between lots, exterior walls start ON the property line.
These have small 'yards' but very high dollar homes.

man of stihl
11-13-2004, 10:47 AM
i bought a used lesco gear wb/ a velke. it all cost me 900. it is two years old.a local lawn service around here went of becuz he got busted for drugs. lol. i love it. it is so much faster and looks more professional. when i first starting using it my dad had to trim a lot with the push mowers. now he just uses the trimmer becuz i now get close enough to trees,beds,etc...... good luck and they are a great investment

twwlawn
11-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Demo a 36" on the properties that you do to see for yourself. Maintenance is not that hard to do, read the manual to learn and do the maintenance, ask or take it to the dealer were you got it from, and you can always ask here on LS. Use the search function also.

toddtt
02-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Has your pro line been a reliable machine for you? I may purchase a reconditioned one next week for $ 1795.00. Has floating deck and t-bar handles. I am looking for advise
Thanks
Todd