PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance??

GFTC
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
For those of you full time guys...do you carry the health ins. for your families, or are you blessed enough to have a wife who has a job with health benefits?
I work full time for Toshiba so my benefits are great, but I can't wait to go solo in the next couple of years. I'm just afraid of what I might have to pay for insurance.
Brandon

baddboygeorge
10-26-2004, 09:56 PM
when i was married it was 320 a month now i am single an its 140 per month hope that helps

Turfdude
10-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I pay for my family + 50% for eligible employees who want to participate.

GFTC
10-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Turfdude, do you mind me asking what you pay for your family?

smlavin
10-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Lawnsite could secure an insurance sponsor that would also offer group rates to LCO's? Is this even a possibility? ;)

oneandonlyjojo
10-26-2004, 10:22 PM
through my brothers company its $300 a month and each additional person is just as high maybe a lil less

grass-scapes
10-26-2004, 10:22 PM
I pay 115 a month, with a 5000 deductible and a 3000 out of pocket expense. Couldn't afford health insurance for a while so when I finally could again, I had to wait a year for pre-existing conditions (hereditary high blood pressure) Had kidney stones this past april and with 3 surguries, they paid about 36000 (but I still owe the 8 grand for my part) Thank God I had what little coverage I had.

BTW, this is the cheapest insurance available in the state of NC. Im gonna hate my premiums next year. LOL

Green-Pro
10-26-2004, 10:44 PM
GFTC,

I got a quote for catastrophic ins. only @ $318 per month, 5k deductible & 3k out of pocket 80/20 coverage, wife & four daughters. Catastrophic is exactly what it implies only major injury or illness covered, if the kids have a runny nose you pay out of pocket the full amount.

Our CPA also told us about a before tax medical account, works basically like an employer sponsored before tax account in that it is money you contribute before taxes to be used for medical expenses not covered, daycare, etc. there is a whole list of medical & dependent care it may be used for.
Example: Say you contribute $50 per month, you commit to this at the beginning of the new year, even though you have only made one contribution you are allowed to use effective at the beginning of the year all the money you will contribute or $600, because you are committed to making those contributions, remember this is before tax money. The best part is if you are a registered business owner, S.P. LLC or sub-s corp, you can roll over any unused money this year into the following year, can't do that when you are an employee for another co.

G-P :cool2:

HOOLIE
10-26-2004, 11:03 PM
I pay $688 per month for family of four. Luckily we've had this insurance for years, my wife got it about 10 years ago, and it wasn't thru work.

For my $688 there's a $1000 co-pay for hospitalization, $20 doctor visits and co-pays for meds.

kppurn
10-27-2004, 12:01 AM
I pay around $2300 for the year. This is medical only, no dental or vision. $1500 deductible.

Soupy
10-27-2004, 12:49 AM
I am blessed enough to have a wife that works for a major health insurance company. But before we got married, I was paying just over $200 a month to the company she works for.

longslawn
10-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Grass-scapes,
Who is your insurance with? Does it have a prescription plan? Do you have a contact person? My insurance is good, but the cost is terrible.
Thanks,
Tim

grass-scapes
10-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Grass-scapes,
Who is your insurance with? Does it have a prescription plan? Do you have a contact person? My insurance is good, but the cost is terrible.
Thanks,
Tim

BCBSNC (Blue Cross, Blue Shield, NC) Blue advantage Plan.
They have many different options available, just depends on what you want to spend. I got the cheapest plan for my age group.

MMLawn
10-27-2004, 10:34 AM
BCBSNC (Blue Cross, Blue Shield, NC) Blue advantage Plan.
They have many different options available, just depends on what you want to spend. I got the cheapest plan for my age group.

I have the BCBC BA but a much lower Deduct and out of pocket ($1K) because I figured the difference and even with the higher Premium it is still cheaper than the $5K Deduct as the difference was only $2400 more a year in premium as my full family coverage (3 people) is $330 a month

lqmustang
10-27-2004, 07:54 PM
After reading this thread, my wife will never be allowed to leave her job at a large local hospital network. That is crazy what some of you pay, and still don't get decent coverage. My medical insurance costs.... $0. :blob3:

GrassBustersLawn
11-19-2004, 11:32 AM
$962.84 a month for me & wife & 5 yr old & 1 yr old. OUCH!

However, we've been to MedChek 3 times in 2 months for my 1 yr old - ear infections. Once during same time for 5 yr old & me. Both ear infections. You would almost think they are contagious!

Can't afford to go without it (insurance). IF you look at what they disregard from MD's bills, it is worth it.

EX on actual bill: Amount DR charged: $414.00 Amount disallowed by insurance: 69.05 Charge Allowed: $344.95 Insurance Paid: $344.95
I PAID: NOTHING!!

Mike

Creative Lawn Care
11-20-2004, 08:16 PM
I have BCBS of NC too. Have the blue advatage plan. Its on me, wife and our three kids and I pay $494 a month. $1500 deductible and $15 copay. Its the cheapest and yet best I have found. Its kinda a hard bill to pay, at the same time you cant go without it.

tiedeman
11-20-2004, 09:51 PM
when i was married it was 320 a month now i am single an its 140 per month hope that helps

LMAO :0 So you are telling him to get a divorce :D

boxoffire
11-20-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm single and have the BCBS of NC too $200 a month at age 40. Their commercial is bullshit though, with their talk of 40 year old man paying $115 a month. Health insurance is a big problem in this country and 44 million people don't even have it. I wondering how long I will if I stay in business for myself. I AIN'T and probably couldn't pay $500 or more a month for it. It's the biggest joke in this country and our own leaders can't even resolve the issue. Tells me they really don't give a crap. Anyway enough of my honest opinions, this is my first year in biz and people have been telling me that the advantage of being owner of a biz is that you can write these costs off during tax time. I know you veterens can answer this as I've been waiting to ask it anyway. Is this true? I realize you still have to fork over the monthly costs all year long for it, but how much can you GET BACK in taxes?

Thanks.

i_plant_art
11-20-2004, 10:57 PM
hey guys yall all have it great i wish i could be paying what all of you do . i have bcbs ( blue cross blue shield) and have the PPO buy up plan for me my wife and our newborn (20 weeks old) we pay 887 a month . That is for medical, dental and vision for me ( i fig i needed the vision in the off shance i get grass in my eyes or somehow get gas or somethign else in them..... never know how things will be billed out ya know ) anyhow we have a 3k family deductable plus a 200 per person deductable. our insurance also covers our perscriptions. I know the price sounds high but our child was born with a cleft lip and pallet and let me tell you after seeing what the insurance pays out just for her is avg of prob 400 a week for all the visits we have not to mention the cost of the surgeries which will take place next friday ( nov 26th) i know insurance is expensive but man its worth it.....

boxoffire
11-23-2004, 12:45 AM
But is it really worth it? 44 million Americans have none and guess who pays probably when they get sick? Us. The ones paying for health coverage in the end. They cannot refuse to treat you if you are really sick. And when you get a bill of $50K for their services, you only have to pay $5 a month if that's all you can afford. At least that's what I've been told. If my rates go up over $300 as a single buyer, I'm saying to heck with it and will just take my chances. It's a scandal that the gov't should be putting a stop too and is the biggest disgrace to this country among it's own in my opinion. Even when car insurance starts getting out of hand, they are controlled and been forced to give buyers refunds from overcharging. But not the o'mighty health insurance companies. And if they must charge this much to stay in business then the gov't must start doing more about it. Think about. 44 million people in this country have nothing, nada, no coverage at all. I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but that says alot to me about greedy politicians and the rich in this spoiled country of ours.

HOOLIE
11-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Well, you may get admitted to a hospital without insurance, but even some of those are trying to cut back on the non-insured. As far as routine doctor visits and prescriptions they'll want payment at time of service.

My in-laws are on that $5 a month plan for medical bills. Basically its a good-faith gesture. They've got no money, no property in their name, so my wife at some point took over their bills for them (they both have bad health problems). These hospitals wanted more money, but my wife told them to take it or leave it, that's the best they can do for now.

kootoomootoo
11-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Yep......................the obscene medical coverage costs and minimum wage here sure makes us australians envious. I pay $400 / month but back home its free. $100 month if you want the best of everything...private hosp. choose your own doctor. None of this co pay and 80% coverage crap. You know where I will be retiring.

You single guys marry an Aussie girl. The average wage just hit $50,000.

Dont blame me my wife voted for kerry.