PDA

View Full Version : Blowing out Toro jar tops.

Green Sweep
10-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Just curious to see if there are any other tricks to getting Toro jar tops to open with air pressure. For some reason these valves were very popular to install 5 to 10 years ago here in Western PA. Sometimes thes valves WILL NOT open with air pressure. I try to let all of the air out of the mainline & shut the compressor down. That may work 30% of the time. Now, this is not a problem If I know where all of the valve boxes are (I can open them manually). But as you all know, a lot of these valve boxes are buried & even the homeowner has no idea where they are. So, the other 60% of the time, I have to get out the locater & track wires. This can turn a 20 minute blowout into a 2 hour blowout quickly & really wreak havoc on your schedule. I have never had this problem with any other valves. Let me know if anyone has any other tricks to try.

Thanks,
Rob

aquamtic
10-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Rob, Let me know if you find the answer somewhere else. Ive also run into the same problem.

mrwettech
10-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Those are Toro Flo-Pro valves and you will find that the problem is not that they will not come on, but that they will not shut off when you advance from zone to zone. Next time check the previously ran zones at the heads and you will see what I mean. That is just one of the reasons Toro pulled them off the market.

activelandscaping
10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
3 solutions:

1) Turn down the pressure regulator on your compressor, funny little bell shaped thing with a screw on top.

2) Jumper 2 or three valves at the timer, using the 1:2 jumper you just spent 5 minutes making. :)

3) Flag the offending zone then use a use a " head adapter " to blow the line clear when you have finished the rest of the zones.

There are more, but these are enough.

Best of luck,
Active