PDA

View Full Version : Submitting Bids

b727guru
10-27-2004, 02:11 PM
How long is it appropriate to wait until you follow-up on submitted bid?
It's been a week and I'm getting desperate!!!!

I'd like to find the status of the bid but I don't want to sound deperate but I want to come across as professional and caring.

Any comments?

Guru.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
10-27-2004, 02:13 PM
On my bids, I always say the bid is good for 2-4 weeks. If the people like your bid, they will call you. I usually do not call back on bids unless the customer asks me to follow up.

MMLawn
10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Not really enough info to answer. Was it commerical? If so what type of property? How big? How long was the bidding process open for? Is it currently under contract?

If it is commerical they probably haven't even really got into it yet. ALso rarely if ever unless ask would I call them back. If you "win" the bid they will let you know.

BCSteel
10-27-2004, 02:30 PM
The only time that I call back is 2 weeks before the contract would begin. A lot of times they get approved but no one calls. Any sooner and you may sound desperate and pushy. It kind of sucks not knowing until the last minute but hey, what can you do? Well maybe you could do different, but I dont.

b727guru
10-27-2004, 02:45 PM
MMLawn,
Yeah, it's a commercial cleanup of brush and weeds as well as a bid for monthly lawn care.
It was a very informal bidding process.
I happen to walk in to the storage facility for prices to store my trailer and happen to mention that its for my landscaping business.

The lady inside informs me that "oh by the way, we're looking for a new landscaping guy..." So, I immedialtely jumped at the opportunity.

I don't know how companies or businesess "open" a bid process; do they call different LCO in the area and ask to submit bids?

As I was leaving the premises, the lady says to me: "I'll push real hard for you to get the contract" Who knows if she carries any wait on the decision making or not.

We'll see.

Guru.

MMLawn
10-27-2004, 03:01 PM
In a case like since it was so informal that then I "might" call her back, or better yet go by but I would probably but I would wait a couple weeks probably.

MOlawnman
10-27-2004, 06:29 PM
I would definitely return to get an answer. It is just good business and salesmanship in my opinion. Maybe you will be the only one to return a call or visit. You will stick in their mind more than the guy that just submitted a bid by mail. And if you don't get the job, then it is possible that there could be future business there.

Flex-Deck
10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Last year I submitted bids. "I will bid this to mow your property"

I landed 3 big commercial properties that in the past were bush-hogged - not trimmed etc. I finish mow them-trim them etc and now my reputation is preceeding me.

One place we bid and mow in the back only, - they have invited me to submit a bid to fertilize and mow the front - I will bid that part much higher - it will be a "If you want me to install a very high quality green carpet in front of your mall to make it look like a high quality place to shop, this is what it is going to take, and this is what it is going to cost." Most of the LCO's around here can not mow straight, do not keep their decks level, and just mow.

Flex-Deck
10-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Please read the previous post, and or posts, but in a nut shell

"Last year I bid jobs, This winter I am going to sell jobs - I now have proof that I do quality work, and it works."

http://TargetLS

blair smock
10-28-2004, 10:16 AM
I wait about a week and call the contact and ask if they have made any decisions yet.

stizostedion_vitreum
10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
I tend to differ in opinion on this one.... especially with commercial accounts.

RELATIONSHIP/QUALITY sells over price most of the time, however it must be sold. The majority of our commercial accounts were not won on price alone.

I suggest at the time of submitting your bid/quotes that you establish who the decision maker is and let that person know when to expect your bid and that you will follow up by phone to insure they received the bid and it's to their satisfaction. At this time, once the bid meets the job requirements you can establish when the contracts will be awarded and if need be you can once again call them.

Also, this relationship will help down the road as well for too many reasons to even list.

Now, that being said.....I don't waste this much time on residentials because the margins aren't there.

tj