PDA

View Full Version : working for yourself to running a business

fga
10-27-2004, 03:51 PM
i usaully have me and 1 or 2 guys, but working solo today got me really wondering... how do you make the jump from working for yourself to running a business?
I think i have some ideas, but either am afraid, or just not too sure of myself. I have at the peak of my season, maybe 90 something houses, but on average, 80 weekly accounts. Do you wind up taking a huge hit in your pocket from added exspenses and help? or do you profit more from freeing up your own time? its too late this season, but i would like to attempt a jump in the spring. any ideas, or advice?

fga
10-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Bump^ :angel:

JustMowIt
10-27-2004, 07:10 PM
i usaully have me and 1 or 2 guys, but working solo today got me really wondering... how do you make the jump from working for yourself to running a business?
I think i have some ideas, but either am afraid, or just not too sure of myself. I have at the peak of my season, maybe 90 something houses, but on average, 80 weekly accounts. Do you wind up taking a huge hit in your pocket from added expense's and help? or do you profit more from freeing up your own time? its too late this season, but i would like to attempt a jump in the spring. any ideas, or advice?

It is a big bump in the road, but once you are over it, you will be glad. The spring is definitely the time to do it. If there is any way you could hire 100,000 doorhangers which would cost around $8,000, your time answering the phone & taking orders would be valuable. You should be assured to get 100 new customers (maybe more) in a very short time. You should be on your road to managing a business.
MJ

HOOLIE
10-27-2004, 07:48 PM
You'll know when you're "running the business", when you spend all day on the golf course... :cool2:

fga
10-27-2004, 08:51 PM
It is a big bump in the road, but once you are over it, you will be glad. The spring is definitely the time to do it. If there is any way you could hire 100,000 doorhangers which would cost around $8,000, your time answering the phone & taking orders would be valuable. You should be assured to get 100 new customers (maybe more) in a very short time. You should be on your road to managing a business.
MJ
getting the work is one thing, operating and accomplishing the daily grind is what scares me. Did you just take a chance with a small crew at first, and send them on their way? or did you ride along as a foreman, then eventually say " here are the keys", like weening them off you, as well as weening the customers away from your weekly presence? I know i would lose a few for that reason, but could probably pick some up easily if i have the time and energy to get out there and pursue it. I haven't advertised in years. I'm sure i could increase profits from my added extras i could do on my own, but do you get killed in the beginning with payroll of added guys or extended hours of your existing workers?
sorry so many questions.. thanks

JustMowIt
10-28-2004, 06:18 PM
getting the work is one thing, operating and accomplishing the daily grind is what scares me. Did you just take a chance with a small crew at first, and send them on their way? or did you ride along as a foreman, then eventually say " here are the keys", like weening them off you, as well as weening the customers away from your weekly presence? I know i would lose a few for that reason, but could probably pick some up easily if i have the time and energy to get out there and pursue it. I haven't advertised in years. I'm sure i could increase profits from my added extras i could do on my own, but do you get killed in the beginning with payroll of added guys or extended hours of your existing workers?
sorry so many questions.. thanks

I am going to answer on a PM

Aleman
10-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Could you send it my way also. Id love to hear your advice. Im in that situation myself. Thanks

Lux Lawn
10-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Adam
Pm me and we can talk about this and maybe help each other.

fga
10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks alot Mike, i appreciate it.

Larry, sorry man, i just saw the replies here.... the next day ;) PM you soon.

kalyeah
10-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Wouldn't 100,000 door hangers get you more than 100 customers? That's a lot of door hangers