PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Scag Turf Runner gearbox

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-27-2004, 04:16 PM
This past summer I purchased a Scag Turf Runner off ebay. Big mistake. With even a few leaves on the ground I would have to double cut just to make it look nice. So I had decided to sell it when boom! The two gears on the left side of the deck drive sheared some teeth. :realmad:

I'm thinkin of buying a New John Deere F687 60'' with bagger to replace, but I need to sell this first.

Dealer wants $950 for a new gearbox, tried going through Curtis Machine(the manufacture of the gearbox) for parts. They no longer have any gears that will fit because scag changed the gear ratios.

Does any one have an old gearbox setting around? :help: :help:

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Anyone????????? :help:

Travis Followell
10-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Well I don't have a gearbox but I thought I would give you my opinion of the matter. I would say to just replace the gearbox and then sell it but I don't know what the machine is worth. You still would be better off to fix it and get rid of it now or in the spring than to try to find another gearbox. It would probibly take you a while if you did try to find one.

Shady Brook
10-28-2004, 07:38 AM
I feel for you, that machine has to be one of the most problematic commercial mowers ever made. I wonder if that gearbox is the same as was used by Toro, walker, or one of the other major manufacturers. Maybe if it is the same, you might get a better deal on one though another manufacturer.

I feel for ya.
Jay

PS. I would not consider keeping that unit under any circumstances.

CathyLynn
10-28-2004, 10:28 AM
You have our deepest sympathy!

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know of a mower boneyard?

jpmako
10-28-2004, 11:29 PM
I used to own a Turf-Runner. I know that those gearboxes cost alot of money. I bought one, and then had the broken one rebuilt. I believe that you could have it rebuilt for like $200.00
Check around and call some scag places.

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-28-2004, 11:38 PM
I can rebuild it myself. I just need two little gears!

jpmako
10-28-2004, 11:45 PM
I will see if I can find out where to get them! I will PM you tomorrow

mrgreeninc
10-29-2004, 09:49 PM
I might have the gears that you are looking for. I have an old gear box that is for parts off of a turf runner. It is the black gear box or the silver gear box?

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-29-2004, 11:16 PM
I have a 1996 model, It is a black painted aluminum. Would you sell me the whole thing? Please P.M. me your phone # if you would consider selling it.

Mike

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
12-16-2004, 10:21 PM
mrgreeninc has not been on-line to receive my PM's. Does anyone else have a gearbox setting around? :help:

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
12-17-2004, 08:21 PM
What do you all know about the John Deere F687? I can get one for $7500 with a 60'' deck. And the bagger is only $1200 more. Any one use them?

Travis Followell
12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
We've got a F-620. Its basically the same thing just a little older and has a 20 hp instead of a 23. You will definately want dual wheels in the back instead of just one wheel because you get better flotation, less compaction, better ride and you are less likely to get stuck. We put duals on ours this year and they make a world of difference. Ours never did cut good but I think thats because the blades were wore out. We put new ones on it theis fall and havn't used it since so I don't know how much they will help. I've seen places cut with the JD mid mounts with the same deck that the front mounts have and they appear to cut good. Another thing we don't like about ours is its too slow. It only goes 5 mph but I think the newer ones go about 8.5 mph but IMO thats still too slow. I think there are better choices out there. You should look at Grasshopper.