PDA

View Full Version : TORO bleed screws

blackberry
10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Masters, I need help! Can the bleed screw on the top of a 230-06-04 be replaced? I broke one off and is leaking. Thanks Tim :help:

activelandscaping
10-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Yep, it can be fixed, just follow these steps:

1) blow the system clean for the winter.

2) detach the poly from the valve outflow fitting.

3) spin the toro valve off the manifold

4) spin on a new valve that isn't a piece of crap ( irritrol, hunter, rainbird )

5) reattach poly to valve

6) wire new valve.:)

Congratulations the bleeder screw is fixed.

Regards,
Active

Mdirrigation
10-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Active , if you dont like toro , how can you like irritrol ? Toro bought them years ago.

jerryrwm
10-28-2004, 08:22 PM
True, Toro did buy the often sold, Richdel/Lawn Genie, Black&Decker; Garden America; Irritrol Company, but apparently someone had enough sense to leave the Irritrol Division alone and allow them to continue to make the equipment that they do. So, while they own Irritrol, it is it's own profit division and still doing pretty well. And Toro, they're still Toro

As to the original question in this thread, I'm not sure I have seen or remember seeing a 230 series Toro valve, and that's after 23 years in the irrigation business. It might be an old obsolete valve, but it doesn't show up in my R-Co Parts book. If you didn't break the flow stem or strip the threads, you can replace the bleed screw on most Toro valves. Either use the bleed cap or the bleed screw available at a Toro dealer.

Jerry

activelandscaping
10-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Active , if you dont like toro , how can you like irritrol ? Toro bought them years ago.

The same way someone can like Jaguar and not like Mazda.

I remember when Toro purchased Irritrol, I was actually hoping that Toro would utilize some of Irritrol's simple, yet effective, design concepts.

First let me say that I have a problem with " Any " design that incorporates complexity, without corresponding functionality. Perhaps someone could explain the following:

1) The necessity of utilizing a 3" long 18 Ga metal pin, placed into a correspondingly tiny hole, as the only means of opening a valve manually. This task is usually performed by a weary tech's near frozen hands.:(

2) Utilizing a bleeder screw thread length that requires the screw to be backed out to the point where only 1/16th of a turn keeps the screw secured in the valve body, in order to open the valve. Knowing full well that valves vibrate when a high air volume is going through them.

3) Using the same hard plastic for the bleeder screw that is used for the valve body, so that if the screw is cross threaded or overtightened, rather than just replacing the screw, damage often requires complete valve replacement.

My dislike for Toro valves stems from their ability to complicate my otherwise simple life. :angel:

The end.

Regards,
Active

activelandscaping
10-29-2004, 12:24 AM
BTW; even though I don't like Toro valves, for the aformentiond reasons. I would not give you unsound advice. By the time you locate, special order and pick up your Toro bleeder screw you could have replaced the valve, special order shipping alone would be more than a new valve.

Regards,
Active