PDA

View Full Version : Some labor questions!

drsogr
10-27-2004, 08:25 PM
I am a small business that is doing sod jobs, and plans to start doing them a lot more.

Now I don't have enough work to keep someone busy full-time. I need at least 2 employees when I do sod installs. Do I have any good options? Are there people willing to work on an as needed basis? Is there a way to legitimately pay people under the table. I have some freinds that are willing to help out a few times a year. If I did have someone hired full time, do I pay them when its raining and we are doing nothing? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to hire 2 full time employees. I wouldn't mind having one, since I think I could scrap together enough work to keep him busy.

Thanks for your help!

bettergrass
10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
I hire people as a personal contractor and just make them sign a wavor that says that they have been trained properly and understand that they are using safe equipment and that it is not our responsibility for any injuries. They also are promted that it is there responsibility to file neccisarry taxes

drsogr
10-29-2004, 08:13 PM
The problem with that is that they are not actually contract workers. There is a list of 20 items that you have to have for them to be considered contract workers. One of which being that if they have to be supervised they can not be contract workers. Or if they use your equipment that they are not contract workers. I wish I could get away with just calling them contract workers, but I don't think that it will work.

Team Gopher
10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Hi drsogr,

Here is a link to an article that may be helpful.

Independent Contractor Versus Employees: How to Tell the Difference (http://www.morebusiness.com/running_your_business/taxtalk/indvsemp.brc)