PDA

View Full Version : Everyone & their Brother in the biz!

rodbite
10-27-2004, 09:38 PM
In central Florida. It seems everyone is getting in the biz. I see more cars, SUV's and regular vans pulling a Lawn Maint. Rig. I am tired already. Have another business idea i might jump on.

oneandonlyjojo
10-27-2004, 09:40 PM
In central Florida. It seems everyone is getting in the biz. I see more cars, SUV's and regular vans pulling a Lawn Maint. Rig. I am tired already. Have another business idea i might jump on.

u already in the business or looking to start up. there arte places here that are horrible but remember theres a lot more houses than lco's

chipk1
10-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Everyone and thier brother will be out of business by spring! :laugh:

Besides there is more than enough to go around.

proenterprises
10-27-2004, 10:08 PM
thats true, most of these guys will be gone before next season even gets going, it dosent take long to weed out the losers.

RICHIE K
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
YEA, THEY DON'T LAST

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

65hoss
10-28-2004, 08:45 AM
According to your profile, you are not much past the just starting stage yourself. What do you bet others said the same thing 2 yrs ago?

Birthday:
November 11, 1976
Your Age:
Years in business:

Anyway, its all the same. Every year you see all types starting. New rigs, wifes car, small pickup, sometimes even a corvette pulling trailers. Many do it for extra money to help with family or pay for toys. Many have thoughts in the back of their mind about maybe it could be a full time business one day. Many find out its hot hard work. Many go back to the a/c real quick.

Don't get bothered by it. Its the same every single year. Good luck.

David Haggerty
10-28-2004, 09:03 AM
It's kind of like guying a new car. You never notice the same kind of car 'till you own one. Then it seems they're everywhere!

Dave

walker-talker
10-28-2004, 09:47 AM
thats true, most of these guys will be gone before next season even gets going.This is true, but there will always be another to take their place...so it's a never ending cycle you see. I pay no attention to them and just focus on what I am doing.

It's truly amazing to hear stories of others. For example, I was mowing a 12K lot for $45...discharging. After a month she saw I was not bagging the grass. No biggie...we departed and I kept doing her chem apps. She said she found an older gentleman to mow it. He mowed it with a 21" and bagged (zoysia grass). He said he would do it for $35. I asked her how long it took him and she said hours....I am guessing 3-4 hours. You do the math.....truly amazing how people operate their business.

BCSteel
10-28-2004, 10:32 AM
It's truly amazing to hear stories of others. For example, I was mowing a 12K lot for $45...discharging. After a month she saw I was not bagging the grass. No biggie...we departed and I kept doing her chem apps. She said she found an older gentleman to mow it. He mowed it with a 21" and bagged (zoysia grass). He said he would do it for $35. I asked her how long it took him and she said hours....I am guessing 3-4 hours. You do the math.....truly amazing how people operate their business.

Ummm, so. When I first started, I bid all my jobs like I had the equipment to do it otherwise I would have been 4 or 5 times higher than the next lowest bid. I put over 4000 hrs on 2 21" mowers with my self and one employee in 7 months before I could buy a good commercial riding mower. You have to start somewhere. People were rolling over on the ground laughing when they saw us out there with those little mowers. Now I'm taking all their work. Whos laughing now. I'll tell you, it sure as hell aint them.

David Haggerty
10-30-2004, 09:44 AM
It's like when you buy a different car. You never notice so many of that model 'till you own one. :)

DennisF
10-30-2004, 07:41 PM
I've been running into a lot of new start-ups in the past month. Seems like they come out of the woodwork once the weather cools a little here in Florida.

Don't be concerned about new competition. Most of these new wanna be LCO's won't be around in the spring when the temps start rising. Most of them are just trying to make a few extra $ for Xmas. Wait till the temps start hitting 90+ degrees. You'll be getting calls from the customers that no longer have a lawn man and want someone that's reliable.

LB Landscaping
10-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Happens around here every year doesn't bother me though usually by the end of summer you can get some real good equipment deals. :p

tinman
11-06-2004, 11:07 PM
There are more & more LCO (or cars with mowers in the trunk) :) around everywhere. But they do disappear & more start up. I think the fuel prices will drive many out of the biz this year & may keep many other from starting up. We'll see

rodbite
11-07-2004, 12:56 PM
I picked up the Bargin Trader in Central Florida this week. There is nine complete rigs for sale by guys that are giving up.

Some think you can buy the equipment and the work will come. Nope you have to go and get the work.

Smithers
11-07-2004, 06:00 PM
rodbite....you dont have the right attitude in the initial posting....

If you do good work and are far to your customers, you should not work about anyone else going getting into your way.

george

bobbygedd
11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
rodbite....you dont have the right attitude in the initial posting....

If you do good work and are far to your customers, you should not work about anyone else going getting into your way.

george
this attitude is very nice, and very convenient, but any business owner who is not aware, and concerned about competitors, is living in la la land. yes, they will effect you, yes, they will cost you money and precious time, yes they will be out by fall, and by spring thier 5 replacements will be in, doing the same thing to you

ProMo
11-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Some think you can buy the equipment and the work will come. Nope you have to go and get the work.

I bought the equipment and the work came to me

scottishmaximus
11-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Ummm, so. When I first started, I bid all my jobs like I had the equipment to do it otherwise I would have been 4 or 5 times higher than the next lowest bid. I put over 4000 hrs on 2 21" mowers with my self and one employee in 7 months before I could buy a good commercial riding mower. You have to start somewhere. People were rolling over on the ground laughing when they saw us out there with those little mowers. Now I'm taking all their work. Whos laughing now. I'll tell you, it sure as hell aint them.

Dude that's about 9.5 hours a day, for 7 months. I guess it's possible but not very realistic.