PDA

View Full Version : Bidding on another LCOs own lawn.

chefdrp
10-27-2004, 10:02 PM
I live in a small turist town Called Bemus Point NY. and have tons of Ohio people that have cottages and second summer homes here. Well Ran into a possable client that owns a large landscape company in Columbus. Have any of you smaller guys ever mowed at another LCOs house? The owner is a CLP. I would love to mow and learn some things from this guy. The company is called Fiveseasons landscapes. www.fiveseasonlandscape.com. What do you guys think of this idea/ For a guy young in the bussiness i think this is a good opp. por me.

LwnmwrMan22
10-27-2004, 10:07 PM
I've hired other people to do my own yard / landscaping as well. Just flat out don't have the time.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-27-2004, 10:18 PM
This summer I was mowing a conveinance store and a man approached me and ask me to take care of his daughters property. It was too far for him to make the trip and pull a trailer for 1 yard and he had no desire to set up a route in this area. He said that he had been looking at others work and liked mine the best.
I think its a good opp for you, dont take this wrong, but maybe the guy will give you honest answers and you can key in on the strong points and if you have any weakness to help improve them. I am in NO WAY implying you do bad work.
I replied to a thread the other day and the guy had a weird nickname (dixhead) and some one dinged me a bad point and signed it " that was uncalled for". I dont care what any one does far as the points go but i dont want anyone to think I am calling people names

pfifla1
10-27-2004, 10:49 PM
i did a LCO's yard a while back, they are very particular, cause i think everyone has their own style, but over all it worked out for both of us.. just another customer.

chefdrp
10-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Grass cutting Fool... Thats what i was hoping someone would say. I like when someone points out a bad thing that i am doing. Thats how to learn. Thats why i would like to do his yard. He comes to my little town to relax and dosent want to have to mow.

Up North
10-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Grass cutting Fool... Thats what i was hoping someone would say. I like when someone points out a bad thing that i am doing. Thats how to learn. Thats why i would like to do his yard. He comes to my little town to relax and dosent want to have to mow.

Go for it Chef. Wouldn't look bad as a reference either. If I was a customer looking for an LCO and you told me a fairly large LCO from another area has you maintain his vacation home I'd be pretty impressed. Just hope he doesn't turn out to be a PITA... :D

Buck

Mico Landscaping design
10-28-2004, 07:33 AM
was at the gas station,... this guy own's his own landscaping company... says did not have time... so we did it.. He said he's getting other one's cuz no time for any more... so ya its cool to cut another landscaping company's house :waving:

Mark McC
10-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Go for it Chef. Wouldn't look bad as a reference either. If I was a customer looking for an LCO and you told me a fairly large LCO from another area has you maintain his vacation home I'd be pretty impressed. Just hope he doesn't turn out to be a PITA... :D

Buck

I'm with Buck on this. In any case, a customer is a customer. To be frank, at some point, I expect I'll hire someone to do my lawn 'cause I really don't want to mess with it myself. The plumber's faucets always leak, right?

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 08:34 AM
He probably is having you bid to better understand what your market can withstand in terms of pricing. I invited 3 LCO's over to my house before I started this year to see how they charged and then used the median as my pricing module. I looked at the kind of equipment they used and made my decisions based on a lot of their experience.

MMLawn
10-28-2004, 10:04 AM
He probably is having you bid to better understand what your market can withstand in terms of pricing. I invited 3 LCO's over to my house before I started this year to see how they charged and then used the median as my pricing module. I looked at the kind of equipment they used and made my decisions based on a lot of their experience.

No, chevyman most people wouldn't use these and the other underhanded tactics (admitted approaching other LCO's customers & asking what they pay and then lowballing that LCO) to get business that you freely admit, heck even brag about using. :angry:

I myself have in the past used (and may again) a different LCO to do my lawn as I found that given the time it takes I could actually make money by paying someone to do my lawn while I did my customers.

Gravely_Man
10-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Money is money….go for it. I would be ready to possibly hear some comments such as I wouldn’t have done it that way but hey they are interested in you. Take this account on like you would any other account.

Gravely_Man

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 10:22 AM
actually MMLawn, while reading in Borders the other night a couple of books on successful LCO's and small businesses, all of the authors stated that it's imperative to call a couple of LCO's in the area, guage prices and what the market with allow, and set prices accordingly. In fact one author said "this will also ensure you not to be what some call a lowballer because your prices can then be set in the middle". Also, after figuring out the pricing, you can then buy your equipment and be able to tie a direct ROI number to your investments, making your business flourish without ever missing bills. So if authors and former owners of LCO's are getting books published on the subject, then I guess they might know what they are talking about

MMLawn
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
chevy, just because someone writes it doesn't make it morally right. When you have no intention of using them but get them over to give you a price under false pretenses is less than honest in my humble opinion. I bet if you called BobbyG over acting like you wanted his services but really were only spying on him he'd use his shovel on ya :p

GreenMonster
10-28-2004, 10:46 AM
one author said "this will also ensure you not to be what some call a lowballer because your prices can then be set in the middle".

I invited 3 LCO's over to my house before I started this year to see how they charged and then used the median as my pricing module.

And here is how you set your "median" price:

I even acquired one of my accounts this year going next door right after the landscaping company left. I said "how much do they charge you per week" the wife replied "$50 and we are on a 1 year contract"...I told her next year, if they were interested I'd do it for $40

He probably didn't buy the book either. Just read it there for free. :rolleyes:

MMLawn
10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LMAO!! Go Mark!!!!! :cool2:

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
That's correct, I did it for less. My overhead allowed me to do so, because I knew my cost of business.

1 guy (me) at 40 minutes= $40 for me
2 guys for the competition at 40 minutes= $50 for them
I make $1 per minute, they are happy with less. Not undercutting, just knowing what I can do. They used 2 48 inch walk behinds, I came sweeping thru with the Dixie. and BTW, I know another guy in town that would do it for $35, but he didn't win because I simply outsold him

I'm sorry MMLawn, but the world isn't all lolipops and rainbows. The AUTHORS of the books stated this is a great idea. I think they are more credible than most.

MMLawn
10-28-2004, 12:41 PM
That's correct, I did it for less. My overhead allowed me to do so, because I knew my cost of business.1 guy (me) at 40 minutes= $40 for me 2 guys for the competition at 40 minutes= $50 for them

Sorry chevyman, and I am not being an @ss but that is BS and you know it. "Overhead" is the "reason" you always use when you have admitted to lowballing. IF the price the other LCO ws charging didn't matter or come into play as you claim, then why did you even ask it???????? What you do is plain and simple lowballing, explain it anyway you wish, but that is all it is.

GreenMonster
10-28-2004, 12:51 PM
That's correct, I did it for less. My overhead allowed me to do so, because I knew my cost of business.

1 guy (me) at 40 minutes= $40 for me
2 guys for the competition at 40 minutes= $50 for them
I make $1 per minute, they are happy with less. Not undercutting, just knowing what I can do. They used 2 48 inch walk behinds, I came sweeping thru with the Dixie. and BTW, I know another guy in town that would do it for $35, but he didn't win because I simply outsold him

:confused:

chevyman: "maam, could I give you a quote for lawn service"
customer: "sure"
chevyman: "after measuring your property, I believe I can provide you quality service for $40"

This is "knowing your costs" and "knowing what you can do" and providing a price based on those items.

chevyman: "maam, how much are you paying for lawn service?"
customer: "$50"
chevyman: "I'll do it for $40"

This is lowballing.

I hope it's clear to you now -- although I'm sure it's not. Justify to yourself however you want.

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 01:27 PM
sorry fellas, not going to budge on my point. good arguements will make us all better in the long run like this

MacLawnCo
10-28-2004, 02:22 PM
I live in a small turist town Called Bemus Point NY. and have tons of Ohio people that have cottages and second summer homes here. Well Ran into a possable client that owns a large landscape company in Columbus. Have any of you smaller guys ever mowed at another LCOs house? The owner is a CLP. I would love to mow and learn some things from this guy. The company is called Fiveseasons landscapes. www.fiveseasonlandscape.com. What do you guys think of this idea/ For a guy young in the bussiness i think this is a good opp. por me.
You really need to approach that man as a mentor rather than a client. See how he feels about mentoring you and your company. If we are talking about the same co, he has his act together very nicely. I missed out on a terific op a few years back and i highly recomend that you do not let this one by.

Bray
10-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I have had another LCO call me to do a couple of lawns for him and it turned out he just needed someone to refer customers to. I get at least a couple of nice lawns from him a year. I think it's a good idea.

WeatherMan
10-28-2004, 04:21 PM
hey it wont hurt you to try it, and if it turns out to be a PITA drop him like last weeks Chicken

I am officially retired as of this week FRIDAY being the last day I run the Company then the new owner takes over YAH :waving: and moving to Ilse of Palms S.C. On the next Friday. :cool2:

I hired my old company to maintain my parents and my wifes parents Lawn and landscape

And I hired a LCO in S.C. to maintain my new home.

My point is I think at least half of the fulltime LCO's have someone taking care of thier property be it thier employees or a smaller LCO like yourself

chefdrp
10-28-2004, 10:38 PM
MaclawnCo-- His name is Bill Leidecker. Hes seems to realy know his s---. I hope i get this. as you say mentor him. Maybe. i do want to learn all i can. Thats why i like these forums.

grass-scapes
10-29-2004, 07:27 PM
No, chevyman most people wouldn't use these and the other underhanded tactics (admitted approaching other LCO's customers & asking what they pay and then lowballing that LCO) to get business that you freely admit, heck even brag about using. :angry:

I myself have in the past used (and may again) a different LCO to do my lawn as I found that given the time it takes I could actually make money by paying someone to do my lawn while I did my customers.

Hey, Im lookin for more work.....LOL