PDA

View Full Version : Door hangers, bigger=better?

gogetter
10-28-2004, 03:16 AM
I'm going to be ordering door hangers over the winter for next spring. Most printers offer two different sizes. Obviously the larger ones are more expensive.

Is it worth it to spend the extra for the larger ones? When I think of hangers I've found on my door, it was usually what was ON the hanger that either got my attention or made me toss it. Not the size of it.

I think I'd rather spend the extra money on the design and layout of the hanger.

Thoughts?

Mo Green
10-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I would have to agree. It wont be how large the hanger is, but the content of the info on it. If you offer a 10% discount on a yearly contract if they contact you from recieving this flyer, that is what will draw them in. I think this is one of those situations where size doesn't matter, but content and marketability do.

JustMowIt
10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm going to be ordering door hangers over the winter for next spring. Most printers offer two different sizes. Obviously the larger ones are more expensive.

Is it worth it to spend the extra for the larger ones? When I think of hangers I've found on my door, it was usually what was ON the hanger that either got my attention or made me toss it. Not the size of it.

I think I'd rather spend the extra money on the design and layout of the hanger.

Thoughts?

We believe the main thing is timing. It does not matter the size or content if they do not have lawn service on their mind the moment they see it. So, we have found that it is a numbers game, & the important issue to putting out more numbers.

MJ

chevyman1
10-28-2004, 10:13 AM
what does volume have to do with timing? Timing means the correct part of the season doesn't it?

grasswhacker
10-28-2004, 10:29 AM
We believe the main thing is timing. It does not matter the size or content if they do not have lawn service on their mind the moment they see it. So, we have found that it is a numbers game, & the important issue to putting out more numbers.

MJ

So is the best time late Feb. or early March? TIA

JustMowIt
10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
So is the best time late Feb. or early March? TIA

Timing does not mean the correct time of year!

Our best time is when the grass first needs mowing. For us, this can mean, March 1 (We start March 7th) for the particular well financed customers, & April 1st for the people wanting to save money.

After April 1st, there are plenty of people that are already mad at there provider, just got sick or old & decided to hire Lawn service, just moved in, started traveling, and a host of other reasons, & guess what...no hangers on their door because everyone thinks spring. So, we put them out until about Sept.1st with great results, then rely on our phone books after that.
MJ

grasswhacker
10-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Timing does not mean the correct time of year!

Our best time is when the grass first needs mowing. For us, this can mean, March 1 (We start March 7th) for the particular well financed customers, & April 1st for the people wanting to save money.

After April 1st, there are plenty of people that are already mad at there provider, just got sick or old & decided to hire Lawn service, just moved in, started traveling, and a host of other reasons, & guess what...no hangers on their door because everyone thinks spring. So, we put them out until about Sept.1st with great results, then rely on our phone books after that.
MJ

Gotcha! Thanks! It will be the first time i have thought about using door hangers or signs. Most of my clients are in Lexington and I live 17 miles away so I am going to concentrate on shifting my customer base closer to home.

desert rose gardening
10-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I had a lawn service door hanger on my mail box out by my gate. It was small and looked cheap, thin paper ugly greenish gray color. I like the big ones my self.

1MajorTom
10-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I don't think size matters, but you want to make it "showy" enough to catch their attention. Some good advice given here about timing and putting out a large number of hangers to get the results.

walker-talker
10-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I spent the extra money on full color and gloss. After asking people "where did you get my number?"....about 70% of people said it was from my "professional" or "good-looking" door hanger...or postcard. Where size may not matter, the looks of it does...IMO!!

Turf Medic
10-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Probably more important than the size of the door hanger is having the proper set up to answer the phone once the calls start coming in. Once people decide they are ready for professional lawncare, they are going to start calling numbers until they get an answer, and I don't mean an electronic device. Save a few bucks on the door hanger, and spend the difference on an answering service with a real person manning the phone, and then return the calls and follow up as soon as humanly possible. Don't kid yourself into thinking you are the only LCO trying to get their business. It always amazes me to see people spend money on any kind of advertising when they don't have a system in place to handle the calls.

JustMowIt
10-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Probably more important than the size of the door hanger is having the proper set up to answer the phone once the calls start coming in. Once people decide they are ready for professional lawncare, they are going to start calling numbers until they get an answer, and I don't mean an electronic device. Save a few bucks on the door hanger, and spend the difference on an answering service with a real person manning the phone, and then return the calls and follow up as soon as humanly possible. Don't kid yourself into thinking you are the only LCO trying to get their business. It always amazes me to see people spend money on any kind of advertising when they don't have a system in place to handle the calls.

Amen to that Casey. And MajorTom & Walker-Talker are right also, looks gives them an idea of who you are, in case they are in need of service, or they will put it in a drawer for later use.
MJ

proenterprises
10-28-2004, 07:43 PM

Thoughts?

GOGETTER, what site are you getting them off of?

gogetter
10-29-2004, 01:40 PM
GOGETTER, what site are you getting them off of?

I haven't decided yet. There are quite a few to choose from that have nice deals.
It'll be a while, but once I do decide and have them made up, I post a copy of it and all the info.

Team Gopher
10-29-2004, 09:00 PM
http://48hourprint.com/pricing_doorhangers.html offers two door hanger sizes. I think the larger ones look nicer and allow you to get more information on them. If you want to download some free door hanger templates to work on your own, here is a link to get them. (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=942)

lafrance4078
10-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Team Gopher, I liked the full color door hanger you offered on your website(with the huge house and perfect grass.) I also went to the 48hour printing shop link that you posted. How can I get them to print the hanger that you have on your web site. Thanks.