PDA

View Full Version : Post dated checks

mtdman
10-28-2004, 06:23 AM
So I was thinking about sending a reminder about this check 21 law to my customers this month with the bills, reminding them of my returned check policy, etc. Personally, I don't wanna charge those fees, I just wanna get paid on time, and I don't mind working with customers to avoid those fees. I started wondering about policies on post dated checks, allowing customers to post date them to avoid fees, etc, but get the checks sent in on time. But I don't want to open that can of worms and start problems there. Anyone have thoughts?

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 09:51 AM
i would remind them and send then info about the law 2

tonygreek
10-28-2004, 10:27 AM
i wouldn't even think of setting a positive policy on accepting post-dated checks. you are right, it would just lead to another set of problems.

my own policy is that we don't accept post-dated checks for any of our business.

tony

Turf Medic
10-28-2004, 12:40 PM
You might want to check with your county attorney before putting a delayed check policy into effect. In Nebraska if a person writes you a bad check you can take it to the county attorney and they will prosecute the person. However if it is a post dated check it then becomes a promissory note and they will not help at all, you then have to go to civil court on your own dime. You will have to sign a paper under penalty of perjury that it was not accepted as a post dated check.

Soupy
10-29-2004, 12:37 AM
My bank told me that the date on a check doesn't meen nothing. She told me to never post date a check to someone because they could actually try to cash it early. Most wouldn't try to cash it though.

HOOLIE
10-29-2004, 01:29 AM
I have one customer that occasionally post-date checks. I've always "early-deposited" them, nobody at the bank has ever noticed, and they've always cleared OK. Just recently, another customer mixed up my bill with her bill from Banana Republic. I called her to tell her of the mix-up, and she called back and said my check had been cashed, by Banana Republic. I don't think the people at the bank even look at things anymore.

I heard on the news tonight that even though the Check 21 law is now in effect, a lot of banks are not going to institute it until January. A grace period for floaters.