PDA

View Full Version : newspaper article?

bobbygedd
10-28-2004, 05:48 AM
i was thinking about getting the local newspaper to write a story about the lawn service industry. let the public know a little bit about what we do, how hard we work (cough cough) , and how there are so many illigitimates. also, how people try and rip us off. in that article, i also want to convey that if someone does not pay thier bill, IT IS A CRIME, and should be treated as one. i was thinking of also getting them to print a picture of me and my shovel. do you think an article would have a good effect, or a negative one? do you have any ideas that i can add to my article?

rodfather
10-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Why not write it yourself bobby?

Send it to the editor who will give it to one of the newspaper's writers who will edit, add/subtract from it. Probably will take a few weeks by the time they send back the final version for you to approve/disapprove. Might be a good idea too to leave out the shovel part IMO.

Just my thoughts...

Mo Green
10-28-2004, 08:35 AM
I agree with Rodfather, write it yourself. Make a couple of calls and find out who to send it too and what there parameters may be. That way your own words can speak for you and not someone else's words.

walker-talker
10-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Dont forget to roll around in the dirt a little bit before the pic of you and the shovel!!

fga
10-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Bob,
we have a paper here that allows you to do things like that all the time, for free. in the paper the article is called "You're Opinion". i don't think they allow pictures though.
i don't know how deep you're willing to dig, but you'd have to watch who you throw dirt on. there are alot of big companies and ofcourse smaller ones who don't always play by every rule, whether they are legitimate or not. i would point out the daily headaches that we go through, and alot of points that are universal that the customers don't seem to understand.

tonygreek
10-28-2004, 10:29 AM
great idea, bobby, and positioning yourself as a published expert is one of the best ways of getting your name out there. although i would caution you on the bash fest of your competition. i would probably go with a story about the positive aspects of using an LCO and then have a part of it based on a "Checklist For Selecting a Great LCO". there is where you can list off what to look for/avoid which gets you off the hook for just getting a bash job printed and make it look like you are looking out for everyone's best interest.

tony

Gravely_Man
10-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Tony, covered all of the input I was going to add. Definitely write the article yourself and I am sure you will get some business as a result of it.

Gravely_Man

Norm Al
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
thats a good idea bobby BUT you may have to kill somebody or pay them a bunch of money to get them to do anything!