Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
is this a good deal on hosting http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/

tonygreek
10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
i think it's perfect for you.

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
how come? becuase its cheap/simple to use for starting out?

JustMowIt
10-28-2004, 11:13 AM
is this a good deal on hosting http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/

I use these guys The Website (http://www.hostica.com/hosting/) It is easy to manage yourself, & very reasonable, not resellers.
MJ

tonygreek
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
because it's inexpensive, has templates, great direction, a well-known company that you know will not go out of business tomorrow, and can handle those less experienced with web publishing.

too many people select on price, but there's a dirty secret when it come's to many of those. a lot are fly-by-night operators who are simply reselling another company's services under the guise of their own company. you'd be amazed at the vast number of people that lose their sites and have no idea where the responsibility lies.

tony

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 05:14 PM
well page builder wontload to set up the site now what, and the emails i sent to yahoo come back. ps my yahoo im wont contect ether. are they going out of bizz? :p

mruth77
10-28-2004, 06:05 PM
I think the deal is lousy, too high of a price for hosting plus they don't give you much storage for files. :pumpkin:

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
i have a spare comp with a 40mb hd how would i host my own site on it (i have a cable modem)

tonygreek
10-28-2004, 08:45 PM
12 bucks a month is too expensive? 2 gig is too little storage?
find me the typical lco that, with proper site construction, has more than a couple of MB used of that storage capacity, and that would be someone with many pics of their work. as a point of reference, chrysler's website could be hosted on that plan, albeit the traffic is another story.

i would always direct a newbie to a company that is geared towards that market any day of the week. you could get hosting for less than that but you also are damn near on your own and don't know whether the money you've paid will vanish with the host and i know icc is on a budget.

now, if icc says he's got a bit of web experience, then sure.

tony

tonygreek
10-28-2004, 08:49 PM
icc, as far as hosting on your own pc:
NO NO NO NO...

1.) you might not have a static IP address
2.) it is a huuuuuge security risk.
3.) if you decide to do it, let me know and i'll happily arrange to show you what the risk is. :waving:
4.) see #2

tony

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 08:57 PM
sorry 40gig brain fart......

Frontier-Lawn
10-28-2004, 09:01 PM
icc, as far as hosting on your own pc:
NO NO NO NO...

1.) you might not have a static IP address
2.) it is a huuuuuge security risk.
3.) if you decide to do it, let me know and i'll happily arrange to show you what the risk is. :waving:
4.) see #2

tony
thats all that would be on that computer is the web site nothing else. and i have McAfee firewall on my other comp on the network

dwc
10-28-2004, 11:35 PM
mine is thru seanic.net. been happy with them so far and its pretty reasonable.

tonygreek
10-29-2004, 12:26 AM
take a look and see how many people are scanning ports on your cable-connected network. if nothing dawns on you, take a look on the web to see how to set it up as a webserver, which is pretty simple. and then see about setting up a static ip. call your cable provider and tell them you want to host a site on it, and they'll fill you in on the process.

i wish you the best of luck on hosting the site on your networked pc running mcafee.

Envision
10-29-2004, 12:42 AM
I use http://www.doteasy.com, only 20 mb storage but you shouldn't need very much. Plus, it costs free-ninety-nine. FREE.... I have used them for a couple of years on a couple of domains and haven't had any issues.

GreenTouch LawnCare
11-01-2004, 08:13 AM
i use register.com they have great tech

Turboguy
11-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I think you could do a lot better. Check out www.powweb.com or www.godaddy.com or www.1&1.com There are tons of places that offer a lot more for a lot less.

Frontier-Lawn
11-01-2004, 11:10 AM
whats a good ext.------ .com .net .info .org .us .biz .ws .name .tv .cc .de .jp .be .at

Envision
11-01-2004, 11:34 AM
.com is the most common and most recognizable, however .net would be my second choice and then .biz.

EliteImpressions
11-21-2004, 03:02 PM
You can try homestead.com right now its only 4.95 a month. Tony, what do you think?

Frontier-Lawn
11-21-2004, 03:03 PM
i tryed them ther software freezes all the time to design it

tonygreek
11-21-2004, 03:20 PM
elite, when it comes to hosting, i'm from the school of "you get what you pay for". typically, the ultra-cheapos are just front-company resellers. the problem with many of the resellers is you have no idea what the support is like, since there can be multiple layers of support, through 2 or more different companies.

personally, for small sites such as lco sites, i'd either find a reputable local company, or one of the big dogs such as yahoo, interland, etc. really, it comes down to your expectations and how much hand-holding you might need.

tony